The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Litter of Pups via. Frozen Semen AMAZING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Different Breck is running Greg, Breck Howard. I wish I was there, came a placement shy a number of times but never qualified except in Canada.
    Sorry Breck, thanks for chiming in on the thread.
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Blue on Black "Jesse" MH NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Dance Hall Gal
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH
    Buck

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by golfandhunter View Post
    We did the C section for many of the same reasons, I would not have known how to get the pups going and cleaned up like Ana's staff.
    We did an X-ray the day before and knew there were 7 or 8 pups and that made the decision easier to do the C section.
    Did not want Jesse to have a difficult labor and we not recognize if she or the pups were in trouble. Also, it would have been on
    Sunday and Ana's office like most vets are closed. We were worried about the anesthesia but were willing to take the risk for the safety of the pups and Jesse.

Hey Breck, I see you are at the national, keep it going and Good Luck!
    Congratulations on the new puppies! There's nothing better than newborn pups

Regarding getting the pups going and cleaned up: After a normal delivery, the bitch "generally" instinctively knows what to do, and she will clean up the pups and take care of umbilical cords (though many breeders like to help with that for various reasons). Passage through the birth canal also helps expel any mucous and fluids. With a C-section, the pups don't get that squeezing effect, and will need more help coming around than if they were born naturally, so what you saw with the vet/vet techs, probably wouldn't have been necessary during a natural birth (at least not for all the puppies).

Natural birth also triggers hormones that stimulate milk production and help mom bond with the puppies, just like it does with humans. It can be a problem for bitches to refuse to mother their pups after a c section.

C-sections also are more stressful on the mother's body, and can lead to uterine rupture during whelping of future litters due to scar tissue etc.

For those reasons, I personally wouldn't choose the elective c section for a dog of mine, but I certainly understand why some folks do. Whelping can be scary business if you're not familiar with it.

Congratulations. Dr. Ana Adams is very good, and I know she does a lot of elective C-sections, but I prefer to let my Boykins and Labs whelp naturally. I only resort to C-section if there are complications to save pups or the bitch. I've had too many bad experiences over almost 30 years of breeding from C-section complications to ever choose C-section as an elective option.
    Last edited by frontier; 06-18-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Get us pics ASAP!

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    Docheno's Raising A Ruckus "Ruckus"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28

congrats gregg,
    i agree with richard......get some pics up!
    john mccallie

Congrats!!!
    We too just raised a litter of 8 AI/C-section babies. They were a blast!!! It actually took mama 3 days to start doing her motherly deeds. I actually cleaned & stimulated for those three days-yuk. On day three Tip took over like a champ.

OK. LETS SEE THOSE PICS!!!
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Would love to post some pics. from my I Phone. RTF always says the file is to big.
    How do I get them on here, as you can tell I'm no computer genious. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Tremblin Earth's Touch of Choclate "Reese" QAA FC/AFC Land Ahoy "Pirate" X Baypoints Dream Maker QAA
    Red Squad's Fifty Caliber "Sniper" NAFC FC/AFC Grady X FC/AFC Maple Creeks Mattie Mae
    Red Squad's Bad Girlfriend "Tinker"FC/AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger X Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA
    Red Squad's Element Of Surprise "Chica" ​NFC-AFC Maxx's Surprise X Red Squad's Blue On Black MH
    Buck

send some to me i will post for you.
    john mccallie

Here ya go Gregg. Beautiful babies!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Maddox View Post
    Here ya go Gregg. Beautiful babies!!!
    Thanks for posting David, they were one day old.
    They are nine days now and all have at least doubled their birth weight.
    Jesse, is being a great Mom, I am sending you acouple more pics to post if you have the time.

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Gregg Leonard
    Roswell, Ga.

Buck