The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 month old lab pup jumping up on us...

Default 5 month old lab pup jumping up on us...

Our 5 month old female lab pup really tries to get her feet up on everyone in our family. Not sure what to do at this point. I have frapped her in the nose and told her no over and over, knee to her chest as well, nothing seems to really slow her down. I make her sit, but she will still try to get a paw on me. She is only 30 lbs which helps some. Suggestions?

When she jumps up you can lightly squeeze paws until it's uncomfortable for her. If everyone is consistent, it may work.
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

a knee in the chest, hard enough will get her attention. It's all about timing. Don

We used a combination of things when our chessie was a smaller pup.

1. when the pup starts to go up on back legs, bringing your knee up quickly seems to put them off balance and they aren't able to rest their paws on you and will drop down to 4 legs. I never had to do like Don suggested, with a knee to the chest...just bringing the knee up in the dogs way worked.

2. Throughout the time where you implement #1, you need to be hitting obedience hard. We implemented a rule where no one (not us or any guests either) is allowed to touch the dog, no petting, no kind words or sweet faces at all, unless the dog is seated butt on the ground and calm. We started by treat training this behavior...commanding a sit, giving a treat and then petting after the dog is seated and calm. We worked under distractions too, with kids, with friends, with neighbors, and in puppy class. The dog is to be completely ignored unless it's in a nice sit. Now, my almost 2 year old can command our 15 mos. old chessie into a sit, and he'll drop on his butt to be petted by her, even though she's tiny compared to him

Knee in the chest like said before. Also, when the dog runs up to you just before the dog gets to you to jump walk briskly toward the dog. That usually makes them stop.

I will give those a try. Thanks

I just let her out of the kennel and really rushed at her with my knees moving forward, she didn't know what to do so she retreated and sat down. I will continue to do this and see if it will work. The hard part is my 5 and 3 yo girls...

Have you thought about just saying "sit" before she jumps? Do you really want her to expect to get whacked when she approaches you? I don't generally want that in my dog. You run a risk of it with the knee in the chest routine.

YES I KNOW THE KNEE WORKS 1000 TIMES OVER but on the 1001st it could make a somewhat shy dog fearful...

Teach the dog to sit and give her the signal when she approaches.

I also like a prong collar and lead. Work with her in obedience and step on the lead so the prong kicks on when she jumps. Takes some practice but in that case the act of jumping gets her punished and she doesn't realize you're standing on the lead. No association with you.

Once she's e-collar conditioned give a sit command with re-enforcement every time she jumps.
    Darrin Greene

I have been working on her sitting when she gets out of the kennel as well in the morning. I am still up in the air about whether to ecollar condition her or force fetch her first. She is losing her puppy teeth and the permanent teeth aren't in yet.

Sit before she comes out of the kennel, sit after she comes out of the kennel, sit before she goes through a door, sit after she goes through a door, sit before she eats, sit before you pet, sit, sit, sit. You must make sure when she sits that you wait long enough to get the calm, if you just tell her sit and she is wiggling all over still that means she is still excited.
    deb