The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: who else post videos like Freddy King on Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by J_Brown View Post
    I must say, I'm pretty shocked by what I've been reading in this thread. I've not been a member of RTF for a long while, but long enough to know of the high standards... yet I never expected this kind of criticism of a guy who's truly passionate about dog training and is TRYING TO PROMOTE THE SPORT AND ACTIVITY OF DOG TRAINING. You may not like his facebook page, or his enthusiasm, or his methods, but he does a hell of a job reaching out and relating to the younger generations... the newer dog trainers. It seems to me like we could use more people interested in dogs and dog training. If you don't have a crop of younger, newer owners/trainers, the sport will die. I follow the smartwork program but I've still watched every one of the videos in Freddy's "self training the retriever" series. Just because someone is following a program doesn't mean they can't look for or use other ideas, other setups, or other approaches. And also, not everyone can afford to pay the kind of money guys charge for their training DVD collections. Freddy King's videos may not be up to your standards, but at least he's putting something helpful out there. Seems like there's something I've read on RTF a time or two... oh yea... "follow a program, any program," or "following any program is better than no program." Well to me, following Freddy King's "program", as idiotic as one might believe it is, should be much better than following no program at all.

I completely agree.
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

Choperdoc wrote
    (2.) I think that if a dog understands being forced to fetch a bumper, there is nothing to be gained from forcing it to fetch logs, hammers, 2x4's or any other "odd" items.

In fact, I think that many new trainers are convinced that their dog is done with FF, when it has really just become familiarized with silliness.
    I would disagree with this.

When I was taught how to force fetch the standard was: Gloved hand, wooden dowel, dummies/bumpers, soup can, pop bottle (yes glass) hammer, bird.

Not sure that is the exact order but you get my point.... I believe we would have fewer "my dog is cigar holding" "my dog is rolling" "my dog drops the " Threads on RTF if they still did a complete FF program.

But dinosaurs roamed the earth and we used slingshots and tennis shoes to train....

I don't even know which end of the dog bites regards,,,,

P.S. Although the clip Kwick posted is absolutely funny. I think it was meant to be. Those puppies are well trained to get through that video. IMO

Randy
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Probably so.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Brown View Post
    I must say, I'm pretty shocked by what I've been reading in this thread. I've not been a member of RTF for a long while, but long enough to know of the high standards... yet I never expected this kind of criticism of a guy who's truly passionate about dog training and is TRYING TO PROMOTE THE SPORT AND ACTIVITY OF DOG TRAINING. You may not like his facebook page, or his enthusiasm, or his methods, but he does a hell of a job reaching out and relating to the younger generations... the newer dog trainers. It seems to me like we could use more people interested in dogs and dog training. If you don't have a crop of younger, newer owners/trainers, the sport will die. I follow the smartwork program but I've still watched every one of the videos in Freddy's "self training the retriever" series. Just because someone is following a program doesn't mean they can't look for or use other ideas, other setups, or other approaches. And also, not everyone can afford to pay the kind of money guys charge for their training DVD collections. Freddy King's videos may not be up to your standards, but at least he's putting something helpful out there. Seems like there's something I've read on RTF a time or two... oh yea... "follow a program, any program," or "following any program is better than no program." Well to me, following Freddy King's "program", as idiotic as one might believe it is, should be much better than following no program at all.
    FK is doing the same thing R/W and M/S have done, create what new people to the sport think is a gospel of dog training. I doubt picking "ANY"program will ever be a recipe for success but to the lay person it looks that way. When a person puts their product into cyber space, they agree one way or another to be critiqued good or bad. FK is sponsored by S/D so they both have a vested intrest in the number of views of his videos. Lets get a show of hands of those who follow him and use S/D products?? If you follow the money, it never is hard to find out why something is being done. In life you can have many opinions but only ONE FACT. Many on RTF have seen or dealt with folks who believe that the hodge lodge approach to dog training is just as good and sometimes better than tried and true methods. If one could recreate the training wheel, all of the A list trainers would be using that NEW method. Dogs that are trained using the Opinion Program will NEVER be as good as those that are trained using a true program. If the F/K Way turns your Crank by all means, go for it but in the real world it's still not a Program.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    Damn man...You been at this site for a long time. Does that mean you are set in your own ways and the hell with everything else? Just saying...
    No it doesn't. See the post directly above yours (#45). There are many ways to skin a cat, but not so many good ways to train a dog. Watching what I did, I don't see this as a good one. It is not a bad one necessarily, but it seems more to me like Joe Blow training a dog with little method and nothing new. I may be wrong but these seem more of various "topics" rather than a program. A new trainer watching bits and pieces rather than a full method and philosophy could easily end up with a dog that is worse off for it.
    Last edited by badbullgator; 06-19-2014 at 09:49 PM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I have posted my training videos, and i have never been called an idiot even though I am self professed!

look at my Avatar!
    Now, now we all know better than that. Maybe not for your videos, but..........
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    FK is doing the same thing R/W and M/S have done, create what new people to the sport think is a gospel of dog training. I doubt picking "ANY"program will ever be a recipe for success but to the lay person it looks that way. When a person puts their product into cyber space, they agree one way or another to be critiqued good or bad. FK is sponsored by S/D so they both have a vested intrest in the number of views of his videos. Lets get a show of hands of those who follow him and use S/D products?? If you follow the money, it never is hard to find out why something is being done. In life you can have many opinions but only ONE FACT. Many on RTF have seen or dealt with folks who believe that the hodge lodge approach to dog training is just as good and sometimes better than tried and true methods. If one could recreate the training wheel, all of the A list trainers would be using that NEW method. Dogs that are trained using the Opinion Program will NEVER be as good as those that are trained using a true program. If the F/K Way turns your Crank by all means, go for it but in the real world it's still not a Program.
    And that in turn my friend is your opinion. We have all facets of training in the arena for folks to trained their dog to their standards not ours. Is there a best one all program that meets all of your demands that one wants to achieve? Understand that we are all not the same in those regards and what is good for one person might not be the same for the other. When giving advice, we let those choose what might be good for them and let them on their merry way. Latter in their career they can decide what works and doesn't and hopefully relay that to those wanting to get involved just as we did when we got started and at least point them in the right direction when the question comes up.
    We are all in this together, and some of us like to give back to those you have a wish to have......

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    No it doesn't
    Thanks for the response.

How can people complain about a guys video he's giving out for free?... 7000+ post on a dog training forum, go make friends

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Choperdoc wrote

I would disagree with this.

When I was taught how to force fetch the standard was: Gloved hand, wooden dowel, dummies/bumpers, soup can, pop bottle (yes glass) hammer, bird.

Not sure that is the exact order but you get my point.... I believe we would have fewer "my dog is cigar holding" "my dog is rolling" "my dog drops the " Threads on RTF if they still did a complete FF program.

But dinosaurs roamed the earth and we used slingshots and tennis shoes to train....

I don't even know which end of the dog bites regards,,,,

P.S. Although the clip Kwick posted is absolutely funny. I think it was meant to be. Those puppies are well trained to get through that video. IMO

Randy
    Force fetch isn't for fetching whats. You can teach a dog to fetch whats.
    You can always teach a dog to fetch what it doesn't want to.

No "force" needed.

Force fetch is for fetching whens. You can't teach a dog to fetch when it doesn't want to. WHEN a dog doesn't want to fetch, you have no option to teach.

Force IS needed.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 06-19-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown