The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Anyone Wth Experience With 75 hp or Larger JET Drive BOAT Motors

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    17

    Default Anyone Wth Experience With 75 hp or Larger JET Drive BOAT Motors

    Anyone with knowledge of how well a 75 hp or 90 hp Jet Drive motor works on a duck boat in shallow water.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    222

    Default

    How well a jet does is highly dependent on the hull it is pushing, and how well it keeps the jet fed etc. 75-90 out the jet would do pretty well for a couple guys and dogs I would think, again very dependent on the size and design o your sled. It will take some messing around probably toget the motor set at the right heigth so it runs best. But man- I run alot of rivers in a sled an its the ultimate in mobility. Second only to an airboat.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BJGatley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad 3 View Post
    Anyone with knowledge of how well a 75 hp or 90 hp Jet Drive motor works on a duck boat in shallow water.
    Length of boat? I had a 16' Valco with a 90 hp Merc jet long shaft.
    In shallow water, I just watch and make sure the motor is peeing clear so to speak and that the motor isn't picking up sediment...that is the key.

  4. #4

    Default

    (1) A 90 hp jet will produce power equivalent to a 65 hp standard motor
    (2) The jet will pick up lots of phragmitis/cattails/ect. in the fall ... be prepared to keep the screen clean
    (3) Difficult to maneuver at low speeds, e.g., trying to dock a boat in a strong tide or stiff wind
    (4) Be clear in understanding why you want a jet drive ... not as useful as I thought for the marshes on the east coast.
    (5) I had a 90 hp jet on a 19 ft Carolina Skiff

    Ken

  5. #5
    Senior Member BJGatley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eckhardt View Post
    (1) A 90 hp jet will produce power equivalent to a 65 hp standard motor
    (2) The jet will pick up lots of phragmitis/cattails/ect. in the fall ... be prepared to keep the screen clean
    (3) Difficult to maneuver at low speeds, e.g., trying to dock a boat in a strong tide or stiff wind
    (4) Be clear in understanding why you want a jet drive ... not as useful as I thought for the marshes on the east coast.
    (5) I had a 90 hp jet on a 19 ft Carolina Skiff

    Ken
    I agree with that...The water pump is down by the jet. If the motor is not peeing, stop the motor, raise the motor and clean out the debris.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I am getting a 2072 custom boat made. It will be 3/16th of an inch thick. It will have 26' sides. I am unsure what would be the way to power this boat. I hunt a lot of shallow water marshes and sloughs and some big rivers also. Do not want to be under powered but would like to be able to run in very shallow muddy water but have enough motor to be safe in big river also.. My buddy has a 36 hp Pro Drive surface drive mud motor on a 18' boat and this motor is really struggling to put boat on plane but will run in 6" of muddy water. I am concerned it won't push my new boat so looking for a better motor option if there is one. The guy building my boat said he could build the hull with a tunnel if needed.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Last Frontier Labs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Most of the motors used here in Alaska are jet motors due to rocks (boulders) and gravel bars in the rivers. I would be very concerned about sucking junk up into the jet. The times we did take our boat to the lake we were always sucking up lilly pads and such.
    Sherri Young

    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  8. #8
    Senior Member mtncntrykid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad 3 View Post
    I am getting a 2072 custom boat made. It will be 3/16th of an inch thick. It will have 26' sides. I am unsure what would be the way to power this boat. I hunt a lot of shallow water marshes and sloughs and some big rivers also. Do not want to be under powered but would like to be able to run in very shallow muddy water but have enough motor to be safe in big river also.. My buddy has a 36 hp Pro Drive surface drive mud motor on a 18' boat and this motor is really struggling to put boat on plane but will run in 6" of muddy water. I am concerned it won't push my new boat so looking for a better motor option if there is one. The guy building my boat said he could build the hull with a tunnel if needed.

    You will not run as shallow as a mud motor in the mud and weeds but will be better in big water, rocky sand bars, and for maneuverability. I had an 18 ft lowes with a 65/90 jet and it would run about 30 mph with 2 guys 1 dog and duck gear. Your boat is going to be bigger and heavier so you might be slightly under powered at that size. You might step up to a 150/120 jet.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Raymond Little's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lake Charles/Grand Chenier La
    Posts
    1,990

    Default

    Didn't say where you are located Brad3 or why you are set on a jet drive if hunting areas without rocks. If rocks aren't a problem I would suggest a tunnel hull made by Southfork or Weldcraft. Min length 18' and optimum 20' x 46". For heavy veg have a skeg installed inside of the tunnel, 90 hp with a 4 blade will get up and run in 2" of soft mud. Jet drive on tunnel will never work like a prop will.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I live in Iowa and hunt in Iowa, North Dakota, Nebraska, Missouri ,and Arkansas but with all the drought conditions in the mid west it seem like being able to run in shallow muddy water come fall in a must.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •