The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pup tail defect

Default Pup tail defect

We are in the process of birthing a litter and look at this little guys tail. Anyboby ever had one like this. It appears to have been wrapped a grew into a curly q, its not broken just funny looking.

Kinked tails are considered a genetic thing in some breeds. I remember a friend w/ Goldens having one that bet sideways. I believe the vet suggested to dock it, but don't quote me.

Vets going to check him out in the morning. I've had other defects but never this one. Adds a new twist to the lean Mac curl tail.

I have seen it on a Whippet and a mixed breed dog. Both still have the tail and do agility. I have also seen dogs with docked tails that made me wonder, breeds that don't normally dock. The tail can work either way, short or long. Just depends on what you like.

Terri

Farmer had/has one on his truck that the tail looked like an asterisk. Very creepy looking.

A pup in my dog's litter had a kinked tail. It straightened out after 3 or 4 months old. Now, you can't even tell it was ever kinked.

Kinked tails are a genetic thing. Usually it's jut the tip. My yellow girl had one in each of her litters. Neither went away. Both have shorter tails then the rest in the litters.
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

My Chessie has one. The last inch is turned up 90 degrees.

We have a total of 11 pups so far and this is the only problem we can see.

William Js' Queen of Cork was the foundation bitch of Gator Point Kennels. When full grown her tail came out from her butt about 2 inches, turned South and had a double twist going down parallel to her back legs. Would have made a full length tail except for all the turns. She was not trained at all, but was the best hunting dog I've ever had (I was a better hunter back then too). She had four litters of pups with 8 pups in each litter and none of them ever had an abnormal tail and to the best of my knowlege have any pups that were offspring from Corkys linage and that goes back around 30 years or so.

When she was a pup, my son was throwing bumpers for her from a floating dock on the Millers Ferry impoundment of the Alabama River when we noticed the 11 foot 2 inch alligator watching her work also. That alligator had a .243 cerbrial hemorage and was how we got the name of Gator Point for our kennel I no longer own Gator Point, but the kennel is still going strong and getting better! New owner has a nice web site and I'm proud to have been a part of what it is today. Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'