The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Extended shotgun chokes for hunting? Would you purchase them and if so what brand?

Ok..help me out folks... explain why these extended chokes outperform the chokes that come with your shotgun? Is there any advantage to using extended chokes on Pheasants ?
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

The basic premise behind extended choke tubes is that they lengthen out the space required to tighten up the shot string before exiting the barrel. Standard choke tubes force that to happen in a shorter space and can cause the shot to deform and create poor patterns. Extended tubes are supposed to decrease shot deformity creating better patterns. That is also what the different wads are supposed to do. Federals wads are designed to stay with the shot column after it leaves the barrel keeping a tighter pattern for longer ranges. However certain chokes that have little studs in them, like Patternmaster does, created horrible patterns in the Federal Black Cloud ammo. Patternmaster made special black cloud chokes without the studs.

So basically that is what the extended chokes are supposed to do. Regardless, what you have to do is pattern your chokes with various loads and see what creates the best patterns for your gun and shot combination. Standard chokes may work best. Then again it may be a specific extended choke that works best with your load you want to shoot.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Thanks... that explains it well.

Came across this tip on extended chokes
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/column31_trulock_chokes.htm

If I got an extended Improved Modified would it improve the pattern of a cheapo Stoeger M2000 in 12 ga? or would investment in a much better shotgun improve my shots?

My typical shots are on average 30 yards or less in heavily wooded areas with some larger fields when a pheasant will fly away at longer distance.. Can one choke help, or do you need to buy at least three extended chokes?
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 07-29-2014 at 01:18 PM.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Thanks... that explains it well.

Came across this tip on extended chokes
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/column31_trulock_chokes.htm

If I got an extended Improved Modified would it improve the pattern of a cheapo Stoeger M2000 in 12 ga? or would investment in a much better shotgun improve my shots?

My typical shots are on average 30 yards or less in heavily wooded areas with some larger fields when a pheasant will fly away at longer distance.. Can one choke help, or do you need to buy at least three extended chokes?
    You may want to try staggering your loads. Example- a hot #6 or #71/2 for the first up close shot, then a 3" #4 or #5 for the bird that's going away. It depends on the gun, pattern, and what you are comfortable with.

Bill

As far as improving your shots are concerned I would make sure your shotgun fits you properly. I believe the stock on the Stoeger is adjustable like the Benelli's are. i used to shoot a Benelli SBE and I adjusted the stock to fit me. Basically making the stock itself bend towards the right more than standard. It really helped the gun shoot where I was pointing. Well I bought a Beretta from a friend and couldn't hit a thing with it. I had been shooting the Benelli for so long that I forgot I had adjusted the stock. I did the same thing with the Beretta and bingo I could hit birds again. So I believe the Stoeger's come with a set of shims to adjust the stocks on them also. If so a quick way to see if the stock needs to be adjusted is to close your eyes, bring the gun to your shoulder and open up you eyes. You should be lined up on the sights. Do this multiple times. If you notice your seeing too much of the rib or the sight is left or right you may need to have it adjusted so that when mounting the gun all you see is the bead of the sight and it is centered properly.

If the gun fits then work on various chokes. In your description I think you would need a couple of different chokes
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Thanks guys... big problem where I hunt is lack of birds for the number of hunters who use the Public land... you really need to make your shots count because you can go days before flushing a Pheasant. Practice makes perfect. I was just hoping an extended choke would improve the pattern ... I hit the birds, but they often don't drop, just glide away... my hunting buddy says I get hooked on shooting the main body of the bird and not the head...

You have to love the Pheasants however, for a thrill, they can hold so still at times you almost walk on them, the rush you get when they take off from heavy cover is one of lifes great pleasures.

My Stoeger did not come with a shim kit.. a Dick's special and only with three chokes... A cylinder, Modified and full.. so I just ordered the Truelock extended Improved Cylinder to see if not having that size choke helps any...
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 07-30-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Go to www.patternmaster.com and see where it says that the pattern master tubes are not for use with ammunition having a flight control wad. Black Cloud being one of those. Pattern Master does have tubes specifically designed for the flight control wad (Black Cloud Modified and Full).

Beretta A400 with a Rob Roberts T2. Just got the choke and I love it. Call the guys at Rob Roberts and tell them what kind of gun you are shooting and they have done all the research on finding which choke tube and what shells work best for each gun. Awesome customer service and easy to deal with.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Good thread. I'm going to try out a couple of the chokes mentioned in mossberg and see what results I get.