The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old is to old to train a hung dog

Default How old is to old to train a hung dog

Sorry for the title. I am typing on my phone. Lol. Guess it will get a couple extra views. I have added this edit but cant change the title.

So i have two labs. One is 4 months and the other is just over 9 years. I am training the pup right now. I was looking at her pedigree and saw she is a cosmo relative and has a couple of other good names on her list. So i decided to look at my 9 year olds pedigree. To my surprise it is full of FC, AFC and a couple of NFC and NAFC and MH. I mean like every dog in his line is titled. I started feeling really bad that i had not trained him, now I'm wondering if it is too late. He has arthritis in one shoulder that does not bother him when he is on his medication. Other than that he still has a ton of energy. Guess i am worried about injury or just giving him a heart attack or something. He already has basic obediance. He will chase down anything but only brings it back if it is in the water.

Has anyone trained an older dog with success?
    Last edited by perry_rm; 06-19-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Messed up title

I think you have answered your own question. It is NO IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Let him enjoy his senior years....

My older dog will be 9 in 2 weeks and still trains everyday. Ran 2 doubles this morning and 3 doubles yesterday, he still loves to go and doesn't miss a beat, even gets mad when I go and don't take him.

Depends on how well hung he is and what it is you are going to train him to do...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by perry_rm View Post
    Sorry for the title. I am typing on my phone. Lol. Guess it will get a couple extra views. I have added this edit but cant change the title.

So i have two labs. One is 4 months and the other is just over 9 years. I am training the pup right now. I was looking at her pedigree and saw she is a cosmo relative and has a couple of other good names on her list. So i decided to look at my 9 year olds pedigree. To my surprise it is full of FC, AFC and a couple of NFC and NAFC and MH. I mean like every dog in his line is titled. I started feeling really bad that i had not trained him, now I'm wondering if it is too late. He has arthritis in one shoulder that does not bother him when he is on his medication. Other than that he still has a ton of energy. Guess i am worried about injury or just giving him a heart attack or something. He already has basic obediance. He will chase down anything but only brings it back if it is in the water.

Has anyone trained an older dog with success?
    That would be my guess as well, but it is your call.

As long as he is having fun, I say it's never too late. My Dad's 13 year old lab died while we were hunting a few years back. We were about 20 minutes in to a morning hunt. He picked up a few teal and then a mallard and when he came back to his dog stand he fell off and had a heart attack. My Dad carried him out of the marsh and we buried him in his dog vest on top of the highest hill at our duck camp. From there, you can see thousands of mallards pouring in during the peek of the season. Some of you may disagree, but I can't think of a better way to go. I sure hope I die doing what I love!

Before I give my opinion I'll just tell you I've only trained 2 retrievers and was training a 3rd who died young, so that is the extent of my experience. However, if I was in your situation and was just learning to train dogs and my older dog wanted to do it I would train both after getting my vet's opinion. I know my 9 year old dog would be very jealous and would probably go into depression (I'm serious) if I was spending tons of time with a new pup and not letting him join in. By training both dogs you'll gain experience twice as quickly. However, I would really assess my goals for the older dog and would have to think hard about doing the things that are unpleasant but necessary like force fetch and collar conditioning with the old guy. I would definitely do it with the pup because you've got many, many years to reap the benefits. If the old guy seemed like it was stressing him out or he wasn't having fun then I would back way off. If you can get the old guy delivering to hand I cannot see any reason not to let him progress somewhat with his training and marking within reason.

On the arthritis I'll just give you this anecdote: I had a neighbor who had an older lab or lab mix when I was a kid. She was a little overweight and seemed stiff and generally old. They moved out of the subdivision onto some acreage and let her run (I know, not a good idea but that's what they did). Well she began running around chasing rabbits, etc. and became a very active dog (not in training but always going) and she lost weight and began moving much better and lived longer than anyone expected and was a happy dog until the end. I would get your vet's advice. Your vet may think some exercise would be great. You can always start off slowly (and you should) and stop if you don't like the results.

Best of luck with your pup and with whatever you decide on the older dog.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

My 9 year old, un-hung dog tied with my 3 year old last fall. I say let him have his fun.....he's never too old to start...
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinDawg View Post
    Before I give my opinion I'll just tell you I've only trained 2 retrievers and was training a 3rd who died young, so that is the extent of my experience. However, if I was in your situation and was just learning to train dogs and my older dog wanted to do it I would train both after getting my vet's opinion. I know my 9 year old dog would be very jealous and would probably go into depression (I'm serious) if I was spending tons of time with a new pup and not letting him join in. By training both dogs you'll gain experience twice as quickly. However, I would really assess my goals for the older dog and would have to think hard about doing the things that are unpleasant but necessary like force fetch and collar conditioning with the old guy. I would definitely do it with the pup because you've got many, many years to reap the benefits. If the old guy seemed like it was stressing him out or he wasn't having fun then I would back way off. If you can get the old guy delivering to hand I cannot see any reason not to let him progress somewhat with his training and marking within reason.

On the arthritis I'll just give you this anecdote: I had a neighbor who had an older lab or lab mix when I was a kid. She was a little overweight and seemed stiff and generally old. They moved out of the subdivision onto some acreage and let her run (I know, not a good idea but that's what they did). Well she began running around chasing rabbits, etc. and became a very active dog (not in training but always going) and she lost weight and began moving much better and lived longer than anyone expected and was a happy dog until the end. I would get your vet's advice. Your vet may think some exercise would be great. You can always start off slowly (and you should) and stop if you don't like the results.

Best of luck with your pup and with whatever you decide on the older dog.
    Great advice on seeing your Vet.