The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laying down to pick up during FF

Default Laying down to pick up during FF

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered.; I spent a good while searching on here to find other posts on this topic, but I couldn't find any. .

I'm working FF with an 18-mo old and things are going reasonably well. He's developed a good lunge and looks to understand that the fetch turns off the pressure. We've started to move the bumper closer to the ground, but not on the ground.

Here's the issue--once the bumper gets below about the level of his knees, he tries to lay down to pick it up. He's not rolling or pulling his head away or doing anything else to avoid pressure, just trying to lay down to pick up the bumper rather than bending his neck for it. I've been letting him get the bumper and then guiding him back to sit with his collar, but I'm worried that this is not the best approach.

Has anyone else faced this? Any thoughts or guidance?

Thanks

IMO its time to start moving the bumper. If he is able to lay down and fetch then you are not challenging him enough. Move the bumper away and down while applying pressure. If he tries to lay down keep the pressure going and lift the bumper back up so that there is no way that he can turn off the pressure while lying down.

My guess is up to this point you ff'd him while he was sitting in one place the whole time?

I sit him, we do a few reps sitting, then I walk him at heel a few yards, then we stop, sit, do a few more reps, etc. I can hold the bumper out of reach and at "fetch" he'll stand up and step forward to get it--as long as it's above a certain height. As I discovered when I started moving incrementally towards the ground, there's a height at which he steps forward and wants to lay down to grab.

Quote Originally Posted by JNG View Post
    I apologize in advance if this has already been covered.; I spent a good while searching on here to find other posts on this topic, but I couldn't find any. .

I'm working FF with an 18-mo old and things are going reasonably well. He's developed a good lunge and looks to understand that the fetch turns off the pressure. We've started to move the bumper closer to the ground, but not on the ground.

Here's the issue--once the bumper gets below about the level of his knees, he tries to lay down to pick it up. He's not rolling or pulling his head away or doing anything else to avoid pressure, just trying to lay down to pick up the bumper rather than bending his neck for it. I've been letting him get the bumper and then guiding him back to sit with his collar, but I'm worried that this is not the best approach.

Has anyone else faced this? Any thoughts or guidance?

Thanks
    IMO, Your body language is intimating him to go to the ground. If he is fine at head height, just toss the bumper to the ground and say fetch ( Do not bend over ). When he hits the bumper, pull up on the the lead. This takes some timing? Make sure he has a hold of the bumper before you pull up and say sit. Try this and you might not have to burn him.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    Try this and you might not have to burn him. Keith
    Just to clarify, I'm guiding him back to sit manually using the three fingers I have under his collar.

That's fine if he is OK with that, but if you use a leash you can get him into a sit position much faster and I like to use my hand as a positive when training.

Example:

Drop the bumper and say fetch ( With or with out a correction ) When they grab it pull up and say sit. "wait" Take it with a give or out, pat on the head and say good dog.

Keith

How many times are you going to expect your dog to immediately sit when he fetches a bumper? None

How many times are going to expect your dog to immediately lay down when he fetches a bumper? None

You need to be careful, even with sitting him back down, that sitting/laying down don't become part of the behavior called "fetch".
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    How many times are you going to expect your dog to immediately sit when he fetches a bumper? None

How many times are going to expect your dog to immediately lay down when he fetches a bumper? None

You need to be careful, even with sitting him back down, that sitting/laying down don't become part of the behavior called "fetch".
    Won't that get ironed out when we get to walking fetch and stick fetch? Right now my problem is figuring out how to get him to 'fetch' on lower bumpers without him laying down. Tony's idea seems good--I'll try moving the bumper away as he goes for it to force him to stay on his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post

I kinda understand what you are saying. What I usually do not do low fetch , because of this reason and I will walk them in a circle before before I put the in a finish position. When I start walking fetch.

As far as the OP, I was trying to give him something to think about.

To add:
    My dog already know how to fetch before ff. I train that in puppy training, When I take out the bumper they go right into drive. I have not used the continuous for the fetch portion of ff for many years. I still use low continuous in the hold portion, but not until it has been reinforced with the ear pinch.

As far turning off the collar. I do that during OB. So everything is in place when I start FF. Doing it this way, I feel there is less chance of creating conflict.

Also I don't even do stick fetch. I think it is a wast of time.

Keith
    Last edited by truthseeker; 06-20-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: More