The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt tests or Ego

Default Hunt tests or Ego

So the hunt test game started for the average guy/gal to build a better retriever hunting partner. We gave them titles and local tests for evaluations ; to give feedback on what items we can train on further. The dog and handler team are supposed to be judges by our peers (fellow hunters). We then achieve a title at the highest level and then this "CARROT" is dangling out there that says if you give up another two weeks of your time/job/family you can say you went to Master Nationals... So the question I have- is the Master Nationals about the average guy/gal wanting a better retrieving hunting partner? Folks- ask yourselves- you who are throwing birds each weeklend test and that you cant get your dog entered because it filled up to quickly to be a voice in your club and opt out if that is what it will take. There are other "dog games" -your hunting partner doesnt care about a plate nor a title!

Yeah- but you know as well as I do that any AKC event is going to be tailored to breeders etc regardless of what the activity mimics. Breeders (and i note you are one, so i neednt point out that my point is not entirely universal) wil ltell you that the value o hunt tests lies in evaluating breeding stock rather than hunting partners.

NAHRA, especially by virtue of being Unaffiliated with a registry truly has nothing to market themselves as other than evaluating and improving hunting retrievers. That's why conservation works well as a key piece of their platform.

i disagree with the premise that those wanting to participate in the MN do it because of their ego rather than a desire to better their retriever.

your dog doesn't care one bit about titles.. so yes it is the owners ego. People who actually hunt with their dogs don't care about titles.

Breeders can take their dogs to all types of tests... get titles, but if they then don't go hunting with a good gun dog you have done it all for you, and not your dog.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    i disagree with the premise that those wanting to participate in the MN do it because of their ego rather than a desire to better their retriever.
    I agree. I've met who knows how many people in the dog world since I started about 14 years ago and I can count on one hand those who I felt had a little ego thing going with thier dogs.

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

Then show me that the great majority of MN dogs actually hunt more than 30 days a year or even 10 days a year in all conditions with their owners.

I personally got into HT for the fun of working with my dog all year around rather than maybe just 120 days a year on good seasons.

Sure more training could have been done by me and the boss lady but then we have no benchmark to see where we are going or have been. We are bigger hunters than hunt testers but the HT is a FUN ego game for sure for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I agree with the OP. the MN is nothing but an ego boost. A large majority of the folks that I know , (not the pros) are not pros and go to the national -or try- every year. With their dogs well into their senior years.
    We all do the games because we love training the dogs- but a lot of people are way into it for their own egos,because as said, the dogs dont care what they retrieve.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

My dogs as with most retrievers love retrieving birds regardless, training, hunt tes,t actual hunting. Hunting in my opion is the unlitimate fun a retriever. I know some people never take their dog hunting, to each is own. It is not so much about ego, as a lady told me once who has personally trained FC and countless other titles, it is about the journey with your hunting partner.

My dog loves to train and I love to train him. He whines if we don't do yard work EVERY afternoon. He loves to please me and I give him the opportunity every chance I get. His JH title stroked my ego.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by mmoe View Post
    My dogs as with most retrievers love retrieving birds regardless, training, hunt tes,t actual hunting. Hunting in my opion is the unlitimate fun a retriever. I know some people never take their dog hunting, to each is own. It is not so much about ego, as a lady told me once who has personally trained FC and countless other titles, it is about the journey with your hunting partner.
    This is a very true statement, but the key to it is "personally trained and journey with YOUR hunting partner....the MN could easily make it about the journey with your hunting partner with one easy rule change....but they won't...it's about dollars and accolades....Make MN an O/H event, then I will believe it's about the journey...
    The dog will always prove you wrong