The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt tests or Ego

It really surprises me that so many people seem to think the way they do things with reference to their dog is the only valid way, and that those who do things differently should be given less priority. Why should they make the MN an O/H event?

Some folks enjoy the journey of having their dog professionally trained for all kinds of reasons. I'd imagine that almost all of these dogs, enjoy the journey as part of the owner/trainer/dog team. Some of the motivation people have for running tests is ego. So what? Some of the reasons some folks hunt is ego. The reason folks have a new jacked up 4x4 is ego. Ironically the reason the OP started this thread and the reason for all of the replies is ego is it not?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Donway's Dixieland Delight - Dixie 2/24/1997 - 2001
    Rebel's Ruffian Hank - Hank - 6/05/2001 - 2/3/2011 - Profile Picture
    Blue Ridge Pot O Gold - Séamus - 1/22/2011 -
    Old North State Queen Anne's Revenge- Annie- 3/21/2013-

I can't say it is ego necessarily, but I will say that the majority of the dogs/handlers I personally know that go to the MN on a regular basis do not hunt their dogs and many of those who do hunt their dogs do so only a handful of times a year. That does not mean it is ego alone, many just think of HT as sport just as hunters think of hunting as their sport. That is just my personal knowledge and not meant to be a blanket statement. Over the last decade I see fewer and fewer handlers in AKC that actually hunt. More do in HRC, but even there you are seeing more and more participants that do not or seldom hunt their dogs. Using that you could say that even the weekend AKC test is not used to better hunting dogs.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Maybe some do it for their ego, but to say anyone that runs the MN or any other event is doing so strictly to stroke their ego is just not a valid statement. Sure dogs love retrieving whether it being in the MN or anywhere else. Kids also love playing ball in the backyard. Does this mean any kid or person that chooses to play the sport in a structured league or game is just doing it for an ego boost? Maybe they just enjoy doing it, meeting new people, and seeing new places.
    HRCH Conecuh River's Elegant Ella

Quote Originally Posted by Conecuh View Post
    Maybe some do it for their ego, but to say anyone that runs the MN or any other event is doing so strictly to stroke their ego is just not a valid statement. Sure dogs love retrieving whether it being in the MN or anywhere else. Kids also love playing ball in the backyard. Does this mean any kid or person that chooses to play the sport in a structured league or game is just doing it for an ego boost? Maybe they just enjoy doing it, meeting new people, and seeing new places.
    I agree with your premiss, but running the MN is more akin to a person playing in a competitive league with a championship held somewhere across the country. Sure many run the MN for fun, but if it is just for fun you can run local test. People who play in the local softball league are doing it for fun. People playing in competitive leagues are more ego based.
    People do many things for many different reasons and it is fair to say some do it for fun, some for money, and some for ego among other reasons.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I can count on about 3 fingers the people I know that run every year to qualify for the MN that do NOT hunt. Virtually every one of my buddies that are running Finished/Master are hardcore duck hunters. My dog gets close to 60 days a year just on ducks. The presuppositions in this thread are not accurate.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    I can count on about 3 fingers the people I know that run every year to qualify for the MN that do NOT hunt. Virtually every one of my buddies that are running Finished/Master are hardcore duck hunters. My dog gets close to 60 days a year just on ducks. The presuppositions in this thread are not accurate.
    no more accurate than yours.........
    Corey Burke

My dog wishes we could hunt more and run more hunt test.

I don't know who is and who is not running events for their own ego, but what does it matter? What is wrong with having an ego? It's an important part of a healthy personality IMO, and as long as you're doing right by your 4-legged partner, go for it.

If your dog loves to train ... should I say, "if you can make your dog love to train") ... what's wrong with that. That's what you spend most of your time doing, right? True, they don't know or care about titles, but they love doing what they do to get titles! They DO love to run tests, right? Plenty of threads attesting to "amped-up dogs at tests".

And what about those photos of Dad & the dog & a tailgate full of birds? That's not an ego trip???

A good trial/test dog is about 3 training sessions an a little experience away from being an outstanding hunting dog.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

I agree with the last part of your post badbullgator. Everyone does is for their own different reasons.

Aint that the truth Steve.

I agree with you JS on your statement about a good trial/test dog can easily become a top flight hunting dog.
    HRCH Conecuh River's Elegant Ella

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    I don't know who is and who is not running events for their own ego, but what does it matter? What is wrong with having an ego? It's an important part of a healthy personality IMO, and as long as you're doing right by your 4-legged partner, go for it.

If your dog loves to train ... should I say, "if you can make your dog love to train") ... what's wrong with that. That's what you spend most of your time doing, right? True, they don't know or care about titles, but they love doing what they do to get titles! They DO love to run tests, right? Plenty of threads attesting to "amped-up dogs at tests".

And what about those photos of Dad & the dog & a tailgate full of birds? That's not an ego trip???

A good trial/test dog is about 3 training sessions an a little experience away from being an outstanding hunting dog.

JS
    Tailgate pictures for me are about the memories. The last tailgate picture I took last season has my new pup and Cody, the dog I lost in April to cancer. That will always be her last photo. I also keep a journal so I can look back at the past season, great memories.
    Hunting to me is about the experience; the sunrise the bird flights and the dog. I don't hunt if the dog doesn't go, I don't find it worth while, but that's just me.