The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting dog to focus on marks

The first video is a simple double marking drill. It is Phase I in a planned series of training steps. The dog at the line assumes responsibility (trained to do so) for lining up correctly, marking the falls and not spending time being controlled at the line. The expectations are well engrained.

Stand alone singles have been a steady routine...for years. Kooly is an older dog and has been "around the block" many times. He is a willing partner and is helping with the experiment. Watch his body posture, focus and responsiveness.

The plan is to develop a process for presenting multiple marks in the field via a "stand alone" format. The second video is a first time take of Phase II

Simple, Stand Alone Marking Drill - YouTube (Video)

First Take "Choas" Phase II YouTube (Video)
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 06-22-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: grammar
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Great video Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    The first video is a simple double marking drill. It is Phase I in a planned series of training steps. The dog is the line assumes responsibility (trained to do so) for lining up correctly, marking the falls and not spending time being controlled at the line. The expectations are well engrained.

Stand alone singles have a steady routine...for years. Kooly is an older dog and has been "around the block" many times. He is a willing partner and is helping with the experiment. Watch his body posture, focus and responsiveness.

The plan is to develop a process for presenting multiple marks in the field via a "stand alone" format. The second video is a first time take of Phase II

That should do nicely !
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    The first video is a simple double marking drill. It is Phase I in a planned series of training steps. The dog is the line assumes responsibility (trained to do so) for lining up correctly, marking the falls and not spending time being controlled at the line. The expectations are well engrained.

Stand alone singles have a steady routine...for years. Kooly is an older dog and has been "around the block" many times. He is a willing partner and is helping with the experiment. Watch his body posture, focus and responsiveness.

Great video. I do this all the time but I don't use the white buckets. My dog sits by a stake or bumpers lying on the ground or a matt. I am asking the question are their limits on this type of teaching? How far can we go with our dogs doing this? I know I can throw marks and do standalones up to 350-400yds through all types of cover. It is a lot of walking and gets interesting sometimes. I miss doing concepts groups may do but have some ingenious techniques and drills over the course of time, I have been fooling with but... are their limitations? JMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Great video. I do this all the time but I don't use the white buckets. My dog sits by a stake or bumpers lying on the ground or a matt. I am asking the question are their limits on this type of teaching? How far can we go with our dogs doing this? I know I can throw marks and do standalones up to 350-400yds through all types of cover. It is a lot of walking and gets interesting sometimes. I miss doing concepts groups may do but have some ingenious techniques and drills over the course of time, I have been fooling with but... are their limitations? JMHO
    depends on the audience Mary Lynn?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    depends on the audience Mary Lynn?
    No audience with me. Just me, my dogs and the landscape at the back of a cemetery. Great fun!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Getting back to the OP's problem....

"So a vast improvement, we went from him running directly to me, to him staring at me while he ran, to him just giving a glance at me. Am I on the right track? Tomorrow I should be able to have someone else throw for me."

You are on the right track. Be consistent and predictable. A pup can easily adjust to doing both (gunner in the field vs. "stand alones") if your training is balanced. With my first pup I was doing mostly "stand alones" when she was very young. The first few times with a gunner in the field it was confusing (as one might expect). However, if your pup is responsive and you and the gunner have a plan (made up in advance), the pup will soon adjust to the difference.

Little "bumps in the road" become frustrating when you don't see them coming...... and what most find out with that first pup. Don't make it a big deal....just adjust your teaching and move on.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

(1.) Big three inch diameter white bumper. You want the pup to be able to see it on the grass, from a long ways away.

(2.) Manicured lawn type grass. You want the pup to be able to see the bumper laying on the ground, from the moment he leaves your side.

(3.) Have the gunner throw as high and as far of a square throw as they can. You want the bumper to land a long ways away from the gunner.

Start short, and gradually work your way back.
    When the dog starts sucking into the gun, it means that you moved back too fast.

And you absolutely NEED an assistant to throw for you right now.

You cannot tell if the dog is taking a banana line, unless you are standing next to the dog when it is sent.
    The gunner can't "see" it from their perspective.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 06-22-2014 at 07:09 PM.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

I forgot to mention one other thing that's very important.

Make sure that you are running the dog directly downwind.
    No crosswind, or headwind marks for this.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    (1.) Big three inch diameter white bumper. You want the pup to be able to see it on the grass, from a long ways away.

(2.) Manicured lawn type grass. You want the pup to be able to see the bumper laying on the ground, from the moment he leaves your side.

(3.) Have the gunner throw as high and as far of a square throw as they can. You want the bumper to land a long ways away from the gunner.

And you absolutely NEED an assistant to throw for you right now.
    This. I would not be doing stand-alone marks with the pup with you as the gunner -- you're encouraging exactly what you perceive as the problem. He needs lots of singles from a gunner on short grass with big white bumpers. This is where they learn to mark. Best of luck.
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing CD MH WCX CCA VC
    & Bally too! (puppy)
    www.go-fisher.com