The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: FT- How much does it Cost?

Wow. I myself have been wondering what it cost to play with the big boys. My bucket list just got a little shorter.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    One other thing that hasnt been brought up on this thread is, having the funds to afford the sport does not insure success...the FT grounds are full of people who used up various levels of wealth, and achieved little success in return...

To loosely paraphrase something mentioned at the NARC last week, where you spend your funds may be just as important as when you spend your funds..a little luck and good fortune might have a huge determination on one's success in the game, not just the size of the bank account
    That was inferred in part of my first post, not keeping a dog in FT training one day past a pro's suggestion that the dog didn't have what it takes, because more times than not a dog won't make it. That said, I have disagreed with pros in the past & did get an AFC, 30-40 AA pts & 7 series at a nat'l Am on a dog that wasn't considered good enough & 15-20 AA pts on another that "just" needed an open win for both titles. But I have poured multiple thousands in training, entry fees & travel in some talented dogs that were missing an essential ingredient to be AA successful when a pro or two suggested the dogs wouldn't make it, while I was thinking I could get it worked out myself. I'd hate to tally up the total I have spent on FT related expenses, it's a lot & I've had competitive dogs but only one really top level dog (Stella) that could win against any field on a given weekend, & maybe another (Dude) to a lesser degree out of a number of dogs. And I train my dogs about 1/2 the time or more, others spend a lot more. But it's all discretionary income that would have been spent somewhere.... more hunting, more fishing, more travel etc. It's not a poor man's game for sure but it can also contribute to considerably less wealth even for those that have (had) a little.
    David Didier, GA

Well said David.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    As far as actually running a trial goes it can be cheaper for the pro to do it for you.
    Amen! During the six months we train in SoCal, we put on about 600 miles a week just commuting to training areas. At 55 cents per mile, that alone adds up to more than the monthly cost of a pro. When we are in Montana, the commute miles are a lot less, but the expense of second home and the cost of purchasing, developing and maintaining training property more than makes up for the mileage savings. That is for two dogs, soon to be three, but the mileage would be the same if we only had one.

We have acquired a great deal of training knowlege by working with pros in the past, but now get more satisfaction doing it ourselves. We do have the advantage of training with very accomplished amateurs and we are constantly learning more about training and hopefully improving as trainers.

If we could cap our monthly expenses to $1,200, we would be very happy.

Granddaddy and others - go to a nursing home and see all the unfulfilled people , alive but with a lifetime of bucket lists...You tried but it is in the trying you find out the most about yourself and life. I really do feel sorry for those who have never tried. Reality wise there are only about 10 dogs each year who are super and some of them even have years in that range. I refused to sell my super dog and do not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    Granddaddy and others - go to a nursing home and see all the unfulfilled people , alive but with a lifetime of bucket lists...You tried but it is in the trying you find out the most about yourself and life. I really do feel sorry for those who have never tried. Reality wise there are only about 10 dogs each year who are super and some of them even have years in that range. I refused to sell my super dog and do not regret it.
    75K offer two fools, the fool who turned it down and the fool who made the offer, plus kickers...Never regretted it ,although nearly 20 years ago and never looked back. Probably never will own another of her caliber, but, hell what a ride we had..Bucket is full.
    Earl Dillow

i like young dogs and "piddle around" in minor stakes. being a former cpa i tend to look at each dog as a seperate "cost center". i have not yet figured out how much it costs to be a successful field trial participant. but what i have figured out is that is costs a bunch of money to earn a little green ribbon or two.

$1,200/month or $15k/yr with a good ft pro for a "derby campaign" including 10 to 12 trial entries is about right to get you started.
    john mccallie

And no one yet has mentioned the cost of an average divorce lawyer
    Bill Davis

I was also a big gearhead w/lots of cars , finding ,restoring and selling some. When I did my CPA calculations w/all my investment of money NOT time/nor physical effort I came out about the same as in long-term CDs. Money in of itself has no reward, altho some like to look/feel it. Well our boomer generation was doomed w/a 50% divorce rate so going to the dogs has a certain flair. Love those dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    And no one yet has mentioned the cost of an average divorce lawyer
    + 1, spouses don't always agree with dog priorities

Don
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.