The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: FT- How much does it Cost?

If you get discouraged by what people say, FT ​or HT is not for you.

You have to be a special kind of crazy to play dog games.
    And not care how much it costs.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bbrown View Post
    everything can be made up by a nice dog.
    Ah yes, the necessary part of the equation, doesn't matter how much money you have and dedicate to the cause, if you don't have a talented dog you will forever be disappointed.

For those who have not read the story from the National Amateur Blog about David Zalunardo and Abby #20 who was a Finalist in his first National Amateur having only started running all age stakes last year should read the story.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    An accurate assessment, then if you are fortunate enough to have a National competitor add to that by a factor of ???.

Just for fun I might tally the cost of the 2014 National Amateur (19 hotel days, gasoline for a 4500 mile trip, entry fee, training birds, and incidental expenses ). For me the 5 days of training and 7 days of the National was more fun than I could imagine, priceless!
    And a great job at it too, congrats!
    David Didier, GA

Just for fun I might tally the cost of the 2014 National Amateur (19 hotel days, gasoline for a 4500 mile trip, entry fee, training birds, and incidental expenses ). For me the 5 days of training and 7 days of the National was more fun than I could imagine, priceless!
    19 days 2.5 star hotel @ $129 incl tax = $2,451
    4500 miles @ .54/mile = $2,430
    entry fee ~ $400
    2 birds/day @ $15 = $570
    bird boy and hotel gratuities @ $25/day = $475
    you woulda been eating anyway but add $25/day for eating out on the road = $475
    laundramat exenses for such a long trip = $16 all in quarters
    one incremental martini in excess of the number of martinis one typically consumes at home @ $7/day = $135
    services rendered to friends and not billed for at clinic when the boss is away @ $200/day = $3,800(don't think about this one)

at $10,752 for 19 days, it's still less per day than a good guided timber hunt in arkansas and way better.

besides, as a national finalist fc afc holland probably recaptured your costs with his stud fees on the way back to texas from the national!
    john mccallie

^^^^^^ that's a lot of money but worth every penny. Just starting out in the hunt test/field trial game but I'm hooked already and if you have the time and passion to train your dogs yourself and get the satisfaction of knowing you've trained them, even if it is for a little ribbon means the world to me. The dog might not know what he's don't but he knows he has made you happy by doing what you asked,when you asked. awesome feeling. now back to reading books and watching dvds to increase my knowledge. god bless and good luck

It was quite a bit cheaper than that, hdqtrs had a special deal, 9 days was $765, pre national training Motel 6 was something less than $300, add 4 nights 2 coming and 2 going home and total lodging bill was +\- $1500. Bird bill $240, entry fee $315, gas who knows but probably about $1000, assorted hats and gifts for spouse and training group +\-$400, I eat and drink martinis at home so that does not factor in, and Mr. Farmer's bill which will be worth it whatever it is. My guess is +\-$4200, less than the price of a cruise and oh so much more fun!

Ah yes, the necessary part of the equation, doesn't matter how much money you have and dedicate to the cause, if you don't have a talented dog you will forever be disappointed.

For those who have not read the story from the National Amateur Blog about David Zalunardo and Abby #20 who was a Finalist in his first National Amateur having only started running all age stakes last year should read the story.
    I feel like I'm a part of that story. I judged a Qual and Amateur a year or two ago in Idaho with Barry Cruickshank. We had this obviously nervous newbie running a nice dog in the Qual, inadvertently doing everything in his power to screw up the dog, but the dog was so good he couldn't screw her up. I can't remember where she placed, but I had a nice conversation with David at the trial and again on my drive home, when I told him he had a special animal and he should definitely hook up with some good trainers to help him along. I ran into David and Abby a year later where he and she was doing very well in the all age. I'm sure he would have been great no matter, but it is cool seeing this and remembering that first trial.

Not sure where to find this. Can you post a link please?

Thanks,

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    Not sure where to find this. Can you post a link please?

Thanks,

M
    Midway down the page http://2014narcblog.theretrievernews.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CRNAret View Post
    Got it!! Thank you!

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)