The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: FT- How much does it Cost?

I was asked what it cost me to run Gunner in the minor dog stakes,train down south with a pro for a month, motels,meals, entry fees,birds,bird boys, vet bills and millage. I did all of the training(mistakes included)
    Cost for that year 23M. Worth every penny. If you are counting pennies this isn't the sport.
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** U.D.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX

The cost is an exercise that I am not sure should be really totally considered! It would be way too depressing *L*. Just to produce the dream pup I am working on now.....Trip to Michigan to a Repro-Vet....Ova Plant...Gas at 7mpg towing a travel trailer to Texas....date with a now 3 time National Finalist....10 days accomodation and food in Texas...Trip Home....Katie Becker from Michigan to Texas....5 months early dog training in Texas....Katie Becker back to Michigan....Now Brook is 13 months done her first cold blinds and yet to enter a trial. Got to be $12000 without a ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by big gunner View Post
    I was asked what it cost me to run Gunner in the minor dog stakes,train down south with a pro for a month, motels,meals, entry fees,birds,bird boys, vet bills and millage. I did all of the training(mistakes included)
    Cost for that year 23M. Worth every penny. If you are counting pennies this isn't the sport.
    23M??

Damn boy you are paying your trainers and BB's way above scale!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    23M??

Damn boy you are paying your trainers and BB's way above scale!!
    Ha!, he has to be in banking with the "m"!!
    Cost is relative, duck lease down here if you can find a top spot is north of $25,000 and that's for two months of enjoyment. Buy in for exclusive club if they approve is $100,000 for stock and $5,000-$10,000 per weekend. Country Clubs are similar as is airplanes, sport fishing boats, ect. We all have to pick our poison in life, bbrown had it pretty well summed up in his post. Maybe one day I'll have a horse that makes me give up the rest of my vices, until then I'll keep looking for that horse.
    Last edited by Raymond Little; 06-25-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

M is the Roman numeral for 1,000. Also used when ordering large quantities like 23m business cards etc

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    One other thing that hasnt been brought up on this thread is, having the funds to afford the sport does not insure success...the FT grounds are full of people who used up various levels of wealth, and achieved little success in return...

To loosely paraphrase something mentioned at the NARC last week, where you spend your funds may be just as important as when you spend your funds..a little luck and good fortune might have a huge determination on one's success in the game, not just the size of the bank account
    True! My young dog is not a FT prospect.

When I was a kid, I got the most pleasure from sneaking up on a bullfrog in a ditch and smashing it into the mud with a stick.
    What happened?
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

When I was a Kid, my pleasure was placing the green plastic army men on a dirt bank and stepping back several feet and shooting them with a BB gun. I pretend I was a sniper with the sound effects coming from me.

Edit to post: Forgot to add that I had a half-track as well and that was a premiere back then. Couldn't afford the tanks.
    Edit to post one more time and this will be it: Had to trade a lot of marbles to get that half-track. Marbles was a big thing back then as well. I was really good at it back then.
    Last edited by BJGatley; 06-25-2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Added content.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Ha!, he has to be in banking with the "m"!!
    Cost is relative, duck lease down here if you can find a top spot is north of $25,000 and that's for two months of enjoyment. Buy in for exclusive club if they approve is $100,000 for stock and $5,000-$10,000 per weekend. Country Clubs are similar as is airplanes, sport fishing boats, ect. We all have to pick our poison in life, bbrown had it pretty well summed up in his post. Maybe one day I'll have a horse that makes me give up the rest of my vices, until then I'll keep looking for that horse.
    If Your spending 25 to 100 G to look at the same sunrise every day to shoot a few ducks then your doing it for all the wrong reasons, there is a huge exspansive country just to the north of you that offers very liberal bag limits, a different sunrise every day, and maybe never hear another shot.. And it's CHEAP but it ain't the Country club you belong too.
    Last edited by Todd Caswell; 06-25-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Adams View Post
    When I was a kid, I got the most pleasure from sneaking up on a bullfrog in a ditch and smashing it into the mud with a stick.
    What happened?
    Did you also enjoyed pulling the wings off House Flies and burning Ants with a Magnifying Glass also ?
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!