The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pond Design Considerations

Default Pond Design Considerations

Hello RTF,

I have been lurking and learning for a very long time with very few posts and no formal introduction.

I am currently training my first dog 5yo BLM. I train for hunting primarily but run the occasional HT. I am very active in Badger State HRC.

Now to the original point of the post.

I am looking for input with regards to the design of a 2-3 acre pond for retriever training and tests. Some questions I was asked and looking for input on are listed below:
    • Prefer more naturalist or squared off shape?
    • More open water or lots of islands and fingers?
    • Bank slope? 3:1? 2:1?
    • Minimum water width between fingers/islands?
    • What types of algae/weed control are typically done? What would make it easier?
    • Any simplistic amenities that would be useful?

Here are the images included with the questions.
    pond designs.jpg

Looking for opinions and reasons if possible.

Thanks for the assistance.
    David
    David Janusz

HR Turkeycreeks Dash Dash Goose "Dash"
    Rescued GSP named "Daisy"

Well, if you're looking at building a pond like that, the A number one, absolute key biggest most important thing is location. About 10 minutes from my house is clearly the best place to build something like that.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Donway's Dixieland Delight - Dixie 2/24/1997 - 2001
    Rebel's Ruffian Hank - Hank - 6/05/2001 - 2/3/2011 - Profile Picture
    Blue Ridge Pot O Gold - Sťamus - 1/22/2011 -
    Old North State Queen Anne's Revenge- Annie- 3/21/2013-

for hunt tests and duck hunting i'd probably go pond number 1. number 3 for AA and Q work in field trials. number 2 seems to give a little of both. Two biggest things to keep in mind A) remember that your pup will probably be doing at least 6-9 months of "non-cheaty" marks before you get to handling so you want to keep it simple in parts of it (no chance to cheat...straight in straight out) and B) I'd want at least double the land size surrounding the pond. so if your pond is 2 acres i'd want 4 acres of land to run from and around. nothing like taking your "water honest" dog and backing up 150-200 yards from the pond and watch that dog run the bank. "NO HERE!! scoot up re-run...repeat"

take some of that dirt from the pond and make mounds on all sides of the pond to run from an elevated platform so you can see the dog and adjust running location based on wind. Lardy has a great article in his third voulme of books about pond designs

me myself i'd take pond #2 if i had the money if i didnt #1 seems cheaper and easier to make and could probably get by with "my" needs

edit: i echo Jerry's comments...also need GPS coordinates of the 3 ponds in the picture

edit edit: nevermind i know exactly where pond #2 is and train there often
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 06-23-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Thank you Blake.

Anyone know of any pond pitfalls to stay away from? (i.e. maintenance factors, etc)
    David Janusz

HR Turkeycreeks Dash Dash Goose "Dash"
    Rescued GSP named "Daisy"

Pond #3 could be used for a lot of technical marks and some awesome blinds IMO. Of course money and time would have to be considered in anything you want to build. Have to agree with Blake's post recomendations.

I started with 3 islands in mine, down to one now. Why? Got tired of cutting them with the weedeater. Now if I want I can get a tractor onto 2 of them to knock things back. I also have realized I have too much open water. Requires big swims to getin any re-entry concept training and such. But...I have access to ponds that compensate for that so it's not a deal killer. My next pond I'm working on is going to be more technical. I think you need a balance of both or access to different ponds that provide both.

The middle picture is peppers ponds at mayflower Arkansas, nice public training grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    The middle picture is peppers ponds at mayflower Arkansas, nice public training grounds.
    SSShhhhhhhhh....

Make sure points and islands are not so high that you loose sight of dog for too long. Keep swims on the shorter side but, have some areas/directions longer swims are possible. Looking at ponds that are currently used and thought of as being good training ponds will help.

Marilyn Fender is near Oshkosh and has built a number of ponds. She would be able to help you with some do's and don'ts.

Tom
    Tom Wall

And another thing to consider is entry and exit, you want space/land around the pond so you can do long water entries and exits, don't build in a corner!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot