The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pet insurance

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    JS - my experiences with Petplan went WELL beyond repeated asking for "more documentation" so I am not sure where you got htat idea. You don't file grievances with the department of insurance just for "more documentation" requests It was a multitude of things. Much of the more documentation had to do with claim adjusters, who were purported vet techs second guessing my veterinarians. I have more than just a little experience with pet plan.

Susan, I do understand you have had bad experiences and are not satisfied with PetPlan. I was not attempting to relate them all in my post ... you have done that a number of times. I merely cited the issue that touched me and I recalled you mentioning previously; that of "unreasonably demanding more documentation". When I suspected that may be going on in my case, I made one phone call and discovered it was a matter of semantics. After clarifying, there was never a problem again.

I have no reason to defend PetPlan, nor any insurance company, for that matter. I am just relating MY experiences to the OP, as were you. I am not a lover of insurance companies in general, but I don't attack them for their profit motive. We all know they are all about money, but on the other hand, aren't we as policyholders also? When we buy a policy, we are doing so to avoid medical costs. All we can expect is that they honor the agreement we make.

One concern I did have when searching for a carrier was the difficulty of actually seeing the written language of a policy before signing. But I found that to be true with them all.

Regarding the coverage, or lack thereof, for "working dogs", here is a cut & paste of the only language in my policy that addresses anything close. This comes from the list of general exclusions:

ff. Costs for

i. Racing.

ii. Coursing.
    iii. Commercial guarding.
    iv. Organized fighting.
    v. Any other occupational, professional or business uses of

Before taking the policy, I called and asked specifically about field trials, field training or hunting and was told that is NOT excluded and that they cover those things all the time. Others have also stated they have made claims for ACLs and other injuries and they have been covered as well. There is, stated in the policy
    elsewhere, a six-month waiting period on a second ACL injury after a first one has been claimed, but there is no mention of the injury resulting from "working" or otherwise.

BTW, I called this morning to get clarification on my situation (policy expiring soon on a dog currently undergoing treatment for lymphoma, and would it be considered "pre-existing" after renewal). I was told when the new policy period takes effect, I will be required to pay the annual $200 deductible amount again but coverage will continue as in the past. NOT considered excluded because "pre-existing".

JS
    Last edited by JS; 06-25-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

I am currently using VPI for both of mine as it is an employer benefit of mine. I have not needed to make a claim yet, thankfully. I hadn't previously considered the "working dog" angle. Does anyone have any insight regarding this, or VPI in general? I am certainly open to hear both the good and the bad.
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

My experience with VPI is they are pretty similar to human health insurance, not a good thing. I found a large amount of time and frustration in submitting and getting a claim through and money out. This was some years ago before many of the other pet insurance providers even existed. Don't know if they have improved but certainly left a sour taste in my mouth.

When I got my current pup, I decided to go to the BBB and consumer reports and found that in both the highest rated provider was Healthy Paws. They have a disclaimer about working dogs but not specifically stated to field events. However, if your dog blows out the CL in an event and then damages it again in the field they won't cover it, which is understandable.

I have the insurance more so for the everyday, which is still what she spends a large amount of her time in as opposed to the field.

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post

Before taking the policy, I called and asked specifically about field trials, field training or hunting and was told that is NOT excluded and that they cover those things all the time. Others have also stated they have made claims for ACLs and other injuries and they have been covered as well. There is, stated in the policy
    elsewhere, a six-month waiting period on a second ACL injury after a first one has been claimed, but there is no mention of the injury resulting from "working" or otherwise.

JS
    JS - I was told the EXACT opposite, that hunt tests, field trials, etc would be excluded. They do not intend on covering working dogs. They specifically stated that would put it under coursing and commercial uses.

Trupanion did provide an exact copy of the policy to me prior to purchasing.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 06-25-2014 at 01:57 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Willows Labs View Post
    I am currently using VPI for both of mine as it is an employer benefit of mine. I have not needed to make a claim yet, thankfully. I hadn't previously considered the "working dog" angle. Does anyone have any insight regarding this, or VPI in general? I am certainly open to hear both the good and the bad.
    I have 2 very old policies with VPI currently. I have never had an issue with them but one. It was rectified quickly. They over a cafeteria style reimbursement which is not what I am looking for any longer, but 12 years ago, they were one of the few pet insurance companies. They cap certain expenses. They also do not require you to send all the records for each and every claim.
    Susan

I just signed up for Pets Best $47.82 per month (that with my work's 5% discount) Co-insurance is 90%, annual deducible is $100. This is for accident and illness coverage, doesn't pay for routine exams.

There is a waiting period of 12 months on the following, unless you have your pet cleared by a vet (which I will do), then waiting period is waived.

• Cruciate Ligament Injuries
    • Luxating Patellas
    • Portosystemic Shunts
    • Elbow Dysplasia
    • Hip Dysplasia
    • Osteochondritis Dissecans
    • Cardiovascular Defects

I haven't seen any positive or negative on Pest's Best so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by willidru View Post
    I just signed up for Pets Best $47.82 per month (that with my work's 5% discount) Co-insurance is 90%, annual deducible is $100. This is for accident and illness coverage, doesn't pay for routine exams.

There is a waiting period of 12 months on the following, unless you have your pet cleared by a vet (which I will do), then waiting period is waived.

• Cruciate Ligament Injuries
    • Luxating Patellas
    • Portosystemic Shunts
    • Elbow Dysplasia
    • Hip Dysplasia
    • Osteochondritis Dissecans
    • Cardiovascular Defects

I haven't seen any positive or negative on Pest's Best so I will keep my fingers crossed.
    Pets Best covers working dogs. Make sure they know your pet is one if thats the case.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

I am pretty sure you could argue against a hunting/ field test dog being considered a "coursing" dog. Also, if your dog gets injured training, hunting, or testing I believe you could say the dog was "running around" for insurance purposes as long as you know your vet well and it would be fine and covered.

After my extensive research on the whole insurance thing I felt great about pet plan. How could so many members of RTF who hunt, test, and trial use Pet Plan and none of that be covered? Too many paid out claims and happy customers here for them to not be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by danjor92 View Post
    How could so many members of RTF who hunt, test, and trial use Pet Plan and none of that be covered? Too many paid out claims and happy customers here for them to not be covered.
    Because they don't mention it. That's why.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by willidru View Post
    One RTF member had great luck with this policy.
    Susan