The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hunt test judging eligibility

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post
    I've trained and handled my own dog to a MH title, MN qualification, a Qualifying 1st place among multiple other ribbons at that level, multi pointed minor field trial judge, yet I'm required to spend an entire summer basically, doing gopher work in order to even judge at the Senior level. There's a problem in the system when that happens.

I have a simular experience including I will be an 8pt minor FT judge and a have a few all age judging points too. I went through the HT judges seminar probably 9-10 years ago and asked to apprentice a couple times and was turned down because I was "not qualified". So now my seminar is no longer valid and I don't feel like jumping through multiple hoops to judge HT so now I will focus on Field Trials and will judge 2-4 events a year instead.
    Mike Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peters-labguy23 View Post
    I have a simular experience including I will be an 8pt minor FT judge and a have a few all age judging points too. I went through the HT judges seminar probably 9-10 years ago and asked to apprentice a couple times and was turned down because I was "not qualified". So now my seminar is no longer valid and I don't feel like jumping through multiple hoops to judge HT so now I will focus on Field Trials and will judge 2-4 events a year instead.
    What fool told you that you were not qualified. Missing out on a good experienced judge.

Feel your pain Mike...tried apprenticing several times up here and was told sorry already have someone only to show up day of and no one apprenticed or it was so and so's buddy that's the only reason they got in.

I ended up apprenticing down in Texas at a wonderful club that was more than willing to allow my apprentice. Now just have to finish the junior/senior judging requirements before the 3 years are up...hopefully can get a couple assignments.
    ~Cortney Bally~

Home of:
    HRCH Fairwinds Bayou Boogie Woogie WCX MH *** (10/05)
    HRCH Elm Creek's' Koa WCX MH (07/07)
    HRCH Nebo's Uptown Girl MH *** (04/08)
    HR Bally's What Else But Hunt WCX SH *** (11/09)
    HR Bally's What Happens In Vegas WC SH *** (02/10)
    HRCH Bally's Swinging For The Fence SH *** (08/10)
    HRCH Bally's Best Blonde Joke JH (03/12)

AKC apprenticing thingy, following around 2 judges and watching is a waste of time. The HRC Apprenticing program where your paired with an apprentice approved judge and actually judge the stake for your apprenticeships makes much more since. This ensure an apprentice is actively involved in all test setup and scoring, and if you don't make the grade the AA judge doesn't sign your paperwork, and if your really bad the contestants might come after yah . It also provides benefits for clubs by not having to find an extra judge, and not having a club member confined to observing all day. Now we won't get into why in the world a grandfathered AA seasoned judge with a HRCH MH MNH dog, Judging all levels of NAHRA-AKC etc. is instantly able to approve new judges in Seasoned; yet has to apprentice-judge Started 5 times before they can even apprentice Finished. I guess all organizations have their quirks .

I like the rule that a MH judge has to run a dog every few years, I don't see the big deal about it, I mean this is your hobby, I assume you like dogs and tests, why don't you want to run a dog every once in awhile . The AKC even offers the option of letting you borrow a dog to complete the requirement. Now what kind've MH judge doesn't have enough friends to borrow a dog if they don't have one and run a single test?
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-26-2014 at 03:07 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

As far as apprenticing HRC you do not have to judge 5 started to move up. You are lic after 2 apprendices just not AA. You can move up to season and do 2 apprentice than move to Fin for apprenticing. You just cannot have an apprentice under you if you are not AA. You need to judge 4 times in that stake and that includes that apprenticing to become AA. Must easier on the clubs if the apprentice is also the judge. Also easier for the judge. As the actual judge all expenses are paid but if you are apprenticing AKC nothing is paid for you. Kind of hard to get folks wanting to give up time and money to give up more time.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
    He also said you could apprentice at Junior one day and Senior the next IF you were available for the set up of each. That is almost impossible since the Junior and Senior judges are setting up their tests at the same time the day before. I say almost because there are times when all judges are not there at the same time so it might work out from a timing perspective.
    I think it is simpler than you might imagine. In this part of the country the Jr judges on Sat are the Senior judges Sunday. By getting with this panel, you can easily be at both set-up periods and apprentice for Jr and Sr in the right order.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    As far as apprenticing HRC you do not have to judge 5 started to move up. .
    Ademu to the rules, since meeting 2013 a judge must be AA in all previous levels, to apprentice the next. Thus if you grandfather in Seasoned AA, you need to go back and apprentice started (2x) then judge (x3), unless you have another seminar, to become Started AA, only then can a grandfathered seasoned AA judge move on to Apprentice Finished. We've been beating our head against this rule since Nov. a bunch of back and forth petitions etc. btw the club and HRC. Basically comes down to I've had a AA seasoned judge judging every started stake we have, so he might be applicable to apprentice Finish, where we need judges. I've got a bunch of people who are qualified to start apprenticing Started, but he's holding their spot until he finishes his started AA. To do it again we'd be better off to grandfather him in at Started AA, at least then he'd be judging Seasoned, to work up to finish. The way it is now, I doubt he'll judge another Seasoned, (aside from the first 1) until he's Finished AA, still the grandfathered in started AA judge has a good chance of beating him .

Just another game with it's own judging hoops to jump through, good thing we're all committed to the sport (or perhaps should be committed) it's a toss up.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-27-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Default Judges Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peters-labguy23 View Post
    The AKC will not approve a judges panel if the judges points don't add up and if their seminar/test is not up to date. Now if you have a last minute change there is not much you can do.

Dealing with judges who remain active is probably on the clubs responsibility and will be a nightmare.

After making a call to AKC, they don't look at who has qualified a dog and who hasn't..... up to the club. Yes it is a
    rule and I think most try their best to live up to it. However, some people, just out of spite, and I suspect have
    nothing else to do..... go to great lengths to find out who has run a dog and who hasn't. It is a pain to follow up
    on that requirement and the incident I am referring to threw several clubs under the bus as they had invited a
    certain judge to judge and because of the "letters" the Perp sent to the clubs... said judge had to decline, at the last
    minute. Joke was on him, the (perp).... the party he tried to hurt needed to qualify a Master dog, but he didn't have
    one so he ran a couple of dogs owned by others and qualified, got back on the judges list and we all were happy.

Most clubs know who can and cannot live up to the judging standard.... they just don't invite judges who haven't
    been running dogs, training dogs or kept up with the rules. Subject judge has kept up with rules and regulations,
    trains with group is active in his club and judges several times every year.
    It is what it is....

Rainy Day Promise - 1998 - 2007
    Smackwater Jumpin Jac Chance - 1999 - 2013
    Promiselands Prairie Dancer - 2001 - 2004

Flinthills Lonesome Dove - 2004
    Gimmee One More Last Chance - 2005
    Black Kettle's She's a Pistol - 2009
    Twolabs Her Chance to Dance - 2012
    Twolabs Yancy's Fancy Pants - 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Ademu to the rules, since meeting 2013 a judge must be AA in all previous levels, to apprentice the next. Thus if you grandfather in Seasoned AA, you need to go back and apprentice started (2x) then judge (x3), unless you have another seminar, to become Started AA, only then can a grandfathered seasoned AA judge move on to Apprentice Finished. We've been beating our head against this rule since Nov. a bunch of back and forth petitions etc. btw the club and HRC. Basically comes down to I've had a AA seasoned judge judging every started stake we have, so he might be applicable to apprentice Finish, where we need judges. I've got a bunch of people who are qualified to start apprenticing Started, but he's holding their spot until he finishes his started AA. To do it again we'd be better off to grandfather him in at Started AA, at least then he'd be judging Seasoned, to work up to finish. The way it is now, I doubt he'll judge another Seasoned, (aside from the first 1) until he's Finished AA, still the grandfathered in started AA judge has a good chance of beating him .

Just another game with it's own judging hoops to jump through, good thing we're all committed to the sport (or perhaps should be committed) it's a toss up.
    Thanks, I never heard about that change. I am double in all so really do not pay that much attention. At least HRC gives a list of judges and where they stand.