Warning: Part of I-84 to be closed this weekend
Posted on June 25, 2014 | By Jim Shay Ė Danbury News Times
Hereís something you donít see often: the complete shutdown of a section of I-84 in both directions.
Itís going tom happen this weekend near Exit 30 in Southington and itís expected to cause major traffic delays.
Two bridges that carry I-84 over Marion Avenue in Southington, one eastbound and one westbound, are being replaced with new structures that have been built alongside the existing bridges. The bridge replacement and will be completed in one weekend.
Suggested alternate routes include I-91, I-691, Route 9 and Route 72. Local detours are established for residents and businesses in the area surrounding the construction site and signs will be posted.
CLOSURE SCHEDULE
9 AM Friday: Southington Rest Area along I-84 East closed.
5 to 9 PM: I-84 Exit 30 Off and On Ramps closed.
5 PM Friday to 5 AM Monday: Marion Avenue closed at ramps- no through traffic, Atwater Street closed from Canal Street to Marion Avenue
6 PM Friday: One lane taken out on I-84 east at Exit 27 (I-691).
7 PM Friday: One lane taken on I-84 West at Exit 31 (Rt 229).
8 PM Friday: Two lanes taken on I-84 East at Exit 27 and I-84 West at Exit 31 with one travel lane open.
9 PM Friday: I-84 and Exit 29 On and Off Ramps at Route 10 Closed. Re-open Exit 30 ramps to accommodate one lane of I-84 traffic.
5 AM Monday: All lanes reopen. Southington rest area reopens.
The rain date will be 9 p.m. on Friday, July 11 through 5 a.m. on Monday July 14, 2014.