The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: FT Breeding For Hunting Companion

Default FT Breeding For Hunting Companion

Just thought I would ask this question to see how everyone feels about selecting a puppy. When you are in the market for a puppy that will only be used for hunting purposes do you prefer a breeding from FT parent's or HT parents? Vice Versa in the market for FT puppy and consider HT parents?

Get the best pedigree for your price range. Field Trial pups will be $1000 to $5000 and Hunt test pups will be $600 to $1500 depending on what's in the pedigree. Most hunt test breedings will still have field trial parents in there not too far back.

This is a generality and prices vary depending on color, health clearances, etc. There could be pages and pages of opinions on this subject, but in my opinion, buy the best pedigree for the money you want to spend, and whatever you do, look at the health clearances.
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)

I would recommend coming up with a list of the attributes you want out of your dog, and focusing on those, not whether they come from FT or HT stock. Some people's idea of a good hunting dog is different than the next guys. Do you need a dog that will hunt upland for an hour without a flush or one that will sit quietly without breaking while the birds pour into the blind? How much drive do you need or want? I'm sure there is everything from good, bad and in between hunting dogs from both games so again, focus on the attributes and qualities you want in your dog. With that said, I would still want to see some kind of upper level titles on the sire and dam, whether that's a MH or FC or QAA. Titles prove they can get it done in some form or fashion, but it doesn't tell you how they get it done. JMO

Choose the Sire and Dam that have the character traits that you want, and No Bad-habits you can't live with. Any type of dog can come from any type of breeding, however if you buy a pup out of 2 fire-breathing race-cars (regardless of how high or low their titles are), chances are you'll get a race-car. Buy a dog out of two dogs that have the temperament, instinct, and amount of drive you want; chances are the pup will be of that type. I choose the Dam over the Sire, as the sire (is just a genetic donor) The Dam is a genetic donor but she also carries and raises the pups until they go home. You could have the best Dad in the world but when Mom is contributing half the genes and she's the only one raising the Kids, it's wise to make sure she's the sort you'd want doing it .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 06-26-2014 at 03:57 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

If you plan to hunt in cold water, make sure the sire and dam have proper coats. Some lines have poor undercoats.
    Renee P

I prefer the best FT breeding I can afford. I want the drive and ability to go where as needed and take the training necessary to be able to handle. I have found all of my FT bred "hunting dogs" have been great companions and house dogs.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

For me if I was looking for a hunting dog then I would want at least one or both parents to be accomplished hunters. For hunt test at least one or both parents titled sh or better and so on. Not to say you couldn't title a good hunting dog, or a titled hunt test dog won't hunt. This is where the training comes in. health clearances, pedigrees, size of the parents, and price would be another determining factor. I agree make a list of what you are looking for in a pup. Use patience finding the right pup for you,as pup will be yours hopefully for some time

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    If you plan to hunt in cold water, make sure the sire and dam have proper coats. Some lines have poor undercoats.
    FT breeding, best you can afford but this is important. Labs don't love the cold to begin with (relative to a Chessy), so good coat is important.
    Darrin Greene

Buy the best you can afford. You can't buy a dog that is "too good for just hunting"