RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Whats needed 8weeks - 8months. New guy materials question.

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Swampcollie 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I put a deposit on a pup recently with great bloodlines. I've hunted with Dad and sister many time and have been sold for a long time on these lines. Waiting has been the hardest part. This will be my first hunting focused golden and I really would like to do it right by her. Ideally I would like a nice water/field hunter with a nice indoor demeanor. I havent through much about hunt tests, as I do not know much about them, but if her and I have the drive/ability it's not something I have ruled out. I've been trudging through the search function absorbing as much information as I can (I'm one of those guys that researches researches researches before he jumps into anything). That being said, I'm a bit of a planner and would like to wrap my head around some materials that I may not be thinking of for 8weeks to 8months (or really beyond).

I plan on using Hillmanns puppy DVD (and a bit of Jackies DVD) then transitioning to Fowl Dogs. This is the plan, it may change if for some reason I dont like the Fowl dogs dvds. I also plan on joining the local club (its a couple miles from where I live so that is nice). I'm leaving out all the obvious things like bowls, kennel, etc...

What I have so far
Various snap/hook collars
6' lead
25ft check cord
Training treats
2 2" bumpers (white)
Purina Pro Plan Puppy food transitioning to Taste of the Wild or PP after a year.

Things I'm planning buying
duck scent
a teal dummy / mallard dummy
whistle
garmin delta collar
healing stick
come canvas bumpers

Am I on the right track? Am I missing anything crucial? How many of the bumper types do you think I need?

Thank you guys for any insight you provide to a new guy.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on the new pup!

You will want to have a crate ready when he arrives home. You might also want an ex-pen depending on your yard. The 2" bumpers might be a little large at first, might look for a few smaller ones. Start looking for a source for training pigeons and ducks. When he is a little older you will want a choke chain and/or prong collar. Months from now, after force fetch, you will need a large stash of 2" orange and white bumpers.

You can never have enough bumpers!

I don't think you need the duck scent and fake ducks, but if you live where it is cold they are a good choice for winter retrieving as they stay soft.

#4 ·
I have a crate ready and plan on getting a towel or two with moms scent on it. Currently I plan on using one of those screw in the ground cable leashes for the small amounts of time she'll be outside (without supervision). I'm thinking that should last until we move in a year. Abouts how many bumpers would a person need? Are the fake ducks not used in any training dvds (Obviously I dont know!)? I have a source for pigeons/pheasants and I think ducks (worse case well have some beg. of sept). Thank you for the info!

Good work planning ahead. Congrats on getting a pup!
Possibly a pinch collar for some obedience after 6months old or even early on some dogs.
I also bought mine American made rawhide chewies rather than chewing on other things.
I will make sure to grab a pinch collar. We used these for my families goldens. Had them for years and they are still around, dont flake too bad so they're not bad on choking. Seem like they last foreverrrr. And I have a few good chew toys as well. Thank you for the suggestions.

White

#3 ·
Good work planning ahead. Congrats on getting a pup!
Possibly a pinch collar for some obedience after 6months old or even early on some dogs.
I also bought mine American made rawhide chewies rather than chewing on other things.

#5 ·
That's a decent start but honestly, by the time the dog gets to be 8 months old, you will probably have to dedicate a room just for his things. You are going to buy more stuff than you ever imagined. I couldn't tell you how many bumpers I have..... A LOT

#6 · (Edited)
The list is endless, you can never have enough dog training equipment: Just when you think you are set, you MUST HAVE something else!

Play it by ear, see how addicted you get.

I got a holding blind early on, so my wild child could practice waiting her turn to run a test or training setup. Also got a training pistol. Stickmen (wish I had pulled the trigger on those earlier). Later I had to have some launchers.

I don't know fowl dogs, I used the Lardy materials, and needed about 2 dozen bumpers to do double T. This is a drill you do when they are about a year old (give or take a few months) to help teach them to take hand signals.

I do not remember when I bought each item, probably a lot of it after my pup turned 8 months.

#13 ·
I got a holding blind early on, so my wild child could practice waiting her turn to run a test or training setup. Also got a training pistol. Stickmen (wish I had pulled the trigger on those earlier). Later I had to have some launchers.
The holding blind is a great idea. My wild child would have benefited from having one early on.

#7 ·
I would recommend just buying what you need for the pup till 4 months of age. From that point on listen to the pro/experienced amateurs in the group/club on what equipment they recommend as your pup comes to that age and stage of training.

The difference between 8 weeks and 8 months in equipment is vast and can also very much depend on what your goals are, which you may not honestly know until you get to that point.

Save yourself some money and just buy what you find that you need for your dog. Otherwise you'll have a whole host of stuff that takes up space and you never use.

Personally, I found that some puppy bowls, the adult crate with divider, bedding, good quality puppy toys, short/medium/long/check cord leash, adjustable nylon collar, (wait to buy prong until you can more accurately determine the neck size), puppy bumpers, dog food, and treats are about all that is required in the 8 week to 4 month stage. Time is of paramount importance then money at that particular stage of their life. Spend as much time with them as possible. Time socializing, time interacting/playing, training, etc.

Later money and time are both in short supply!!

#8 ·
I used a paint roller for my pups @ 8 wks. Just get in a hall with doors closed & toss roller. Pup will usually bring it back so you can throw it again. Keep training fun & short. Let pup be a pup first few months. Have fun with pup & follow a program. Bill Hillman & Fowl Dawgs by Rick Stawski are VG .

#9 ·
First off, congratulations! Young dogs are so much fun. You will see so many eureka moments in that first year. I just had to put down a 13yo FC AFC Hawkeye's Candlewood Shadow girl due to cancer and I'm in the market for a new puppy myself in the fall... a few suggestions...

1. Patience and plenty of it!
Remember that the dog is young and always learning, you will learn along side of the dog, they will teach you as you teach them. Always keep it short, simple and exiting... try to build on each lesson.
Dogs are like people when it comes to learning, they have bad days just as we do, this will come into play with your heeling stick and e-collar, imo more than three whacks means you're abusing the dog, dogs have bad days too, sometimes it's better to just put them back in the truck and call it a day!

2. Socialization and plenty of it, take that puppy everywhere you can!

3. A good field! Whether it be a soccer or baseball field or just a vacant piece of land, I prefer the latter. Long walks where pup can explore yet always run back to the boss for safety! Get a Gonia whistle with a simple lanyard.

4. A sock, duck or pigeon wing and a firehose puppy dummy for hall training, use that firehose for field training also.

5. A pigeon trap and some scratch feed. The fresher the bird the better, pigeons are easy to trap! Find a duck supplier in close proximity, local pro, breeder or tamie hunt club.

6. A good bird boy!

7. Your local Retriever club, run that dog in a junior or senior puppy at a picnic!

8. A good training group, they will help you immensely .

9. A good local pro, pay by the day or help out

10. the leads you have sound great, but I'm gonna pass a long a tip that a HOF FT trainer gave me, get a 6ft horse lead or make your own from rope that you can get at a hardware store, my current lead that I made has lasted me twelve years. These leads will have a little more a$$ to them when you start formal obedience.

11. A retrieve-r- trainer.

12. A good starter pistol, I prefer H&R or NEF, check the online gun sales, but I might beat you to the punch!

The more I think of the more I'll add!

#14 ·
4. A sock, duck or pigeon wing and a firehose puppy dummy for hall training, use that firehose for field training also.

Good suggestion here.. When you get this puppy it's really worth it to play fetch in a narrow hall.. Get the dog worked up playing with the sock/small toy, ect. then pitch it down the hall and let the dog retrieve it when he's really having a great time and loving it..stop and put the dog away do this every day and you will built a retrieving machine.. Always try to put the puppy away wanting more and happy and not tired and bored with it.. It's hard not to keep playing fetch but its the best thing for the puppy.....

#15 · (Edited)
You are about to develop a lifetime of fun and challenge for yourself....wish I was young so I could do it all over again...what fun it is...just some quick added thoughts.

On the crate, getting a small one or one with divider to limit the space will help potty training. Dogs generally will not pee where the sleep, so they will move around and/or wine before the pee....that gives you time to hop out of bed and take the dog out. They only need a small spot where they can only turn around in, no more....

Also, when you are ready for the pinch collar, my trainer put my on a new style that is tops! The problem with the traditional P-collar was the latch and putting them on the dog. The latches sometimes would release unexpectedly. This new one just slips on and off you can order them on www.lolalimited.net she calls this pinch collar the 'secret collar'....check it out! I have two now and I love them...

I suggest you get the Hillman puppy DVD and Sound Beginnings from Jackie Mertens as soon as you can, it takes time to get all that in your head....once the puppy is hear, it is to late and lets face it your gonna be tired!

As for hunt tests....if you want a dog that hunts, hunt testing is where you find out if they are ready to hunt. If you can get though the Senior Hunter Level with your dog, you have a dog ready to hunt....go see a hunt test in your area, you can find them on the website Entry Express.....check it out, lots of good stuff on that site also..by the way typical training (rough estimate) of time for a dog ready to hunt is 10 - 18 months depending on the skill of the dog and the trainer...

Good luck...have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.