The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handling on retireds

Default Handling on retireds

How does everybody approach this? Dog caves to a factor en route to bird. He's squaring or falling down the hill, fading with the wind etc. with standouts I would handle in those spots and correct the line. How is it approached on retireds?

Good topic. Its's difficult to tell if they are caving in or don't have a good mark on the bird. I have been very hesitant to handle my dog because I think he lacks confidence in where he thinks the mark is and I don't want him to rely on me to show him. What I have done when he leaves the line, and is obviously unsure of where he is going , is recall him. I then line him up at the mark again and really reassure him he's on it , then send him with more inflection. Only on a long bird, not a short retired. I don't want to do it often but I believe it has helped his confidence.
    Tim

This is an actual topic that warrants discussion. Thanks for bringing it up. I hope some of RTF's experienced folks will chime in.

Does the dog not know where it's going or are they very determined and then, cave to a factor? If they clearly cave to a factor after taking a good initial line, I'd handle. If I know a mark has particularly strong factors, I'll probably leave it out. If your retired marks always have a ton of factors in conjunction with difficult concepts, how much confidence is the dog going to have? I think a lot of marking is the dog seeing the birds and having confidence.

I'm not talking about marks loaded with factors. Today's setups were short gun 150ish with the bigger retired tight to the line of the short fall with the wind blowing short fall into the line of retired. Retired were 250-350. We did 3 sets if these all as singles working on that one concept. Run as singles throwing bird off line to get the retired time to retire. Dogs beat the test which was don't break down in short fall but I had one of mine cave pretty good down a hill and fade with wind which was slight. I just want to know if its appropriate to handle a dog as I would with the guns out. Simple as that. If they cave to an obvious factor is it ok to handle and correct that dogs line with no visible gun?

I agree strongly with the last sentence of your post. Agree with the entire post as a whole but were talking about 2 different things. This dog can mark and retires aren't new to him. I just want clarification on how to handle these fundamental issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    Does the dog not know where it's going or are they very determined and then, cave to a factor? If they clearly cave to a factor after taking a good initial line, I'd handle. If I know a mark has particularly strong factors, I'll probably leave it out. If your retired marks always have a ton of factors in conjunction with difficult concepts, how much confidence is the dog going to have? I think a lot of marking is the dog seeing the birds and having confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Allen View Post
    I agree strongly with the last sentence of your post. Agree with the entire post as a whole but were talking about 2 different things. This dog can mark and retires aren't new to him. I just want clarification on how to handle these fundamental issues.
    Sounds like you were more teaching the concept of a longer retired tight to a shorter gun. In that case, if the dog did the concept and achieved the fall area, I probably wouldn't want to muddy the waters by doing a bunch of handling. It would also probably depend on the dog and how advanced they are. There are very few absolutes in dog training.

Try stopping the dog and when he sits to face you have the retired gun come out so the dog sees him as he takes your cast.
    Obviously this takes close coordination between you and your thrower. Works especially good when they are retired behind a camo umbrella and can reappear in the right spot without a lot of lost time and walking.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Anytime it's feasible to do this it is done. Generally were using radios so it's not much trouble. I feel it simplifies for the dog what went wrong when the gun stands back out. Thank you for the reply. Maybe some others will chime in.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Try stopping the dog and when he sits to face you have the retired gun come out so the dog sees him as he takes your cast.
    Obviously this takes close coordination between you and your thrower. Works especially good when they are retired behind a camo umbrella and can reappear in the right spot without a lot of lost time and walking.

It reads like a simple miss mark to me. I would handle into the fall area and repeat the mark with the guns out.

Then I would repeat the set up a few days latter or change the set up and repeat the concept the next day.

Keith