The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new vocabulary word

Default Another new vocabulary word

What is a "wiper" bird?

Thanks

In a multiple marking situation, a bird that is thrown in a manner and position, that will affect (wipe out) the dogs memory of the other mark or marks.

I have heard of a wipe out bird. Maybe wiper is just a short version. A wipe out in my experience is a short bird thrown across the lines to the previous marks.
    Lardy shows a flyer thrown and shot very close and across the line to
    the previous thrown marks to try and wipe out their memory of the previous marks.
    I think it is inTR Marking.

I have done this twice with Rowdy.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 06-28-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Like Wayne, I assume you mean a wipe out bird. The description from Gordy and Wayne is correct. The bird "wipes" out the memory of the other birds thrown. Wipeout is nearly always thrown last.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

So it can be anything that is close and/or exciting... it's not any particular pattern? "Wiper" must be a Canadian variation on Wipe out. I'm working my way through an article by Dennis Voigt

Wow...

Has anyone developed a dictionary for this sport? (For the legitimate terms... not the ones we use when things aren't going well.)

A wiper, is the hen common merganser that buzzes the spread right after you wingtip a banded bull sprig that sails 200 yards before crashing.

Of course, your buddy hits the merganser, sends it cartwheeling and skipping through the decoys, and sluices it twice (sinking three of your decoys) right before your dog's wide open eyes.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

I just looked at Dennis' article and he is talking about a wipeout mark. Note his word of caution. Don't do too many of this or they will focus on this gun station quickly.

Some along the way I have also have heard it called an eraser bird.
    RN puts out a judging manual which is quite good on definitions. I forget the proper name of the manual.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    A wiper, is the hen common merganser that buzzes the spread right after you wingtip a banded bull sprig that sails 200 yards before crashing.

Of course, your buddy hits the merganser, sends it cartwheeling and skipping through the decoys, and sluices it twice (sinking three of your decoys) right before your dog's wide open eyes.
    Yea better hope it isn't his lease cause... he's no longer invited LOL
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    So it can be anything that is close and/or exciting... it's not any particular pattern? "Wiper" must be a Canadian variation on Wipe out. I'm working my way through an article by Dennis Voigt
    As Wayne said, normally a wipe out, wiper or eraser bird is shorter than the other marks and is thrown across the test, over the line(s) to one or more of the longer birds. The excitement essentially wipes clean or erases the memory of the longer marks.