The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is there any such thing as too much "Bottom"?

You can have too much of anything... except teamwork and marking ability
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    Semantics, drive vrs bottom vrs style vrs fast.....
    Voltage, resistance, and amperage are all related. Each one affects the measure of the others.

But, it's amperage that does the work.

Some people think that more amperage means that the electrons are flowing faster. Others think that it's not that they flow faster, but rather that more of them are moving.

Either way of thinking still allows the technician to successfully troubleshoot the circuit.
    After all, more is more, and less is less.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 06-29-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown49 aka Otey B View Post
    My pup now has the ability to do things regardless of the results.. so far nothing I've asked is too much. Only thing that worries me is he is 'balls to the wall" when training and when even resting he is wanting more...
    He got his name from retrieving a bumper through a multi-flora rose bush at 3 months old. Went through it going and coming... tough pup..
    The videos are entertaining, and the intellectual psychology course is comical.
    Having an on-off switch is great even with Ohms law. The bottom is a great natural talent that many try to manage in the training by either encouraging it or harnessing it. Neither of which work (ime) . Those that can command that Bottom (like a switch) can read a dog
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

They talked about this a little bit yesterday at training.

The experience said that bottom/drive/speed is fine, but what you want to see is their ability to problem solve.

If they run or go insistently to just run or go,,,....well....... they kinda got to think too.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 06-29-2014 at 04:16 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

A friend was told by our pro that her dog has a lot of bottom but not much on top. Referring to what Mooser was saying. He has a great deal of drive and speed with natural marking ability but when it comes to making the right decision or having some of this drive harnassed she has a problem, especially when there is ne RESPECT for her as a handler. Team work just isn't there.

So,in a way,It depends on what you are after.

A dog of mine, is a house dog, and MUST have an off switch. If it hunts with me, the days are prolly not going to be that exciting. Long waits between birds,a Lot of quiet sitting. My experience in the past, is most birds that are picked up, are picked up as Blinds for the most part. (Kinda makes Ya question "Marking is of PRIMARY importance)
    So, A dog that isnt calm in the blind, isnt very compliant, and just wants to go go go,,isnt going to be a good dog for me.

That dog might be a Great Test or trial dog, but prolly a high maintenance dog to hunt with.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 06-29-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

And I didnt say,, FT dogs cant HUNT!!!

I stated MY preferences.

Gooser

The definition of what bottom is has been discuss many time on here. Many have said that it is how much pressure a dog can handle. To me it's just that the dog can take a licking and keep on ticking and contains more than one aspect of the dogs personality.

As far as the OP. I would not get caught up on distance. more on focus and determination. She is still vary young. Try to throw in some water some where.

Keith
    Last edited by truthseeker; 06-29-2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Add

When I say "bottom" I'm thinking resolve. Not drive. When the chips are down, that dog hangs in there to get the job done.

So to answer to your question. No, no way can they have too much Bottom!

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

To clarify a few things.. Ruf is very driven to retrieve. His idea of running a mark is going straight there, no matter what is in the way, picking up the mark and returning the same way. His first water retrieve was of a mark I had set up for his sire at 130 yards. He was just playing being a puppy when the Bumper Boy sound went off. I had been playing with him in the house quacking a duck call. He would sit then go get the sock and I'd love him up. He sat, the mark went off and he launched. He had never even been wading so I figured he would go about 20 yards and come back. He came back all right with a bumper in his mouth. He was 9 weeks old...He has learned to count to 3 and is doing simple blinds out to about 150. The thing that worries me the most is it takes at least a 4 or higher on a PRO 500 to get more than a head shake. He just reacts like (OK no big deal I won't do that again).. His marking is very good and his weak point is honoring... any suggestions?