The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing a pup to Canada

Default Importing a pup to Canada

Anybody imported a pup from the US recently? Or shipped into Canada? I May soon have a pup on the way and I'm trying to cover as many bases as I can beforehand. I was browsing the border inspection website regarding importing pups and it looks pretty simple. However I am hung up on one thing. Personal or commercial?

While the pup will be a family pet, I want to run field trials and hunt tests so does that fall under exhibition and show - making it a commercial pup. Or are we still considered personal? No breeding plans. Just a pet and hoping to play dog games. I will call the customs people tomorrow, but I suspect the person I speak with will have no idea what hunt tests or field trials are....

Might sound trivial but don't want any hiccups when it comes time to ship!!

Any other info would be appreciated as well!!
    Thanks

If you are not making money I would say it isn't commercial.

I suspect you are correct. Just the "personal - commercial" definitions were making me want to double check

Give Daniel S, a shout he goes by Ironwood here. He exported a litter to the US 3 yrs ago. Certainly he will know the ins and outs of getting across the the border.

There's another guy also that responds to Rtf- Scott will give you a good " how to"
    Dk

Call united airlines petsafe program. They'll tell you what you need. I have shipped one to Canada with no issues. The airline checks your documentation before they take the puppy.

Generally you'll need an International Health Certificate. Make sure the issuing veterinarian states the puppy is up to date on its shots, but too young for a rabie vaccine.
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

Hi Dave.
    I PM'd Newf yesterday, but for anyone else wondering:
    The pup needs to be accompanied by a Veterinary health certificate issued at the time of examination, and within 72 hrs of arrival in Canada.
    Have a proper receipt from the seller.
    That's it.
    If you travel to get the dog, and import it, you would be entitled to an $800.00 exemption of taxes if you are out of the country 48 hrs or more.
    You will want to keep the receipt from Customs. Ask to have the microchip # included in the remarks section. This will accommodate CKC registration.
    I have seized puppies for undervaluation (No retrievers ). It is not hard to do. It is not worth the worry over a few tax dollars to be saved. I'm sure everyone here is on the up & up anyway.

The commercial vs personal issue that came up not long ago, as new guidelines for us was difficult, even for us, to interpret. It is an Agriculture Canada definition, that does not apply to other Customs matters.
    Commercial dogs & puppies are those that are, or will be, owned by, and in the name of a business. Eg puppy's registered owner will be ABC Field Trial Training Inc.
    When this happens Agr. Cda deals with it differently than they do with everyday people. These rules were put in place in an effort to address concerns with the "Rescue dog" industry.
    Basically, don't worry not much has changed.
    Last edited by Scott Adams; 06-30-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Very informative post Scott.
    I just shipped a pup from Houston to Bassano, Alberta on May 17. Used United Airlines and had no problems whatsoever.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 06-30-2014 at 03:53 PM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

You the man Scott
    Dk