The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Police that shot dog - Now Public Outrage

New spokesman for the Police Dept has some compassion.... but if you watch the entire video would you really be in fear of this pet?
    <br>http://fox13now.com/2014/06/23/dog-o...s-shot-killed/
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    The more I see and read about these abuses of authority it makes me wonder what testing is done to see if an officer is mentally fit to handle a stressful job... we all see the movies made by Hollywood and the weekly TV shows depicting burn out from the stress. Police do not have it easy, and maybe shooting a dog is somehow a stress relief for some...

Many of us as hunters have taken the life of a bird or mammal, and you do so with respect and thank God for providing the meat so your family can eat. These Police shootings seem so detached from the pain and suffering it will cause a pets family... it's like these officers are closed off to their emotions, which is a form of mental fatigue.

They use the words... The dog was charging me... my life was in danger... but I think it is really all about ego and always having to be in control... Eventually these officers crack under stress.

Like in the first thread that disappeared... I guess we all have to live in fear from these crazy cops... because it is happening more and more..

My sister recently retired from the PD. She is now an ER nurse. One BIL is a detective . One a SWAT cop with three tours of duty to the sand pit as an interrogator for SF's. You will not find three finer human beings, with intelligence, common sense and compassion.

Let's hold individuals responsible and not paint with a broad brush.

Quote Originally Posted by 480/277 View Post
    My sister recently retired from the PD. She is now an ER nurse. One BIL is a detective . One a SWAT cop with three tours of duty to the sand pit as an interrogator for SF's. You will not find three finer human beings, with intelligence, common sense and compassion.

Let's hold individuals responsible and not paint with a broad brush.
    I'm clapping.........

What in the world are they teaching you at the academy
    they aren't teaching me anything at the academy but I was curious enough to look up the exigent/emergency circumstance exemption to the 4th amendment. It was also posted here in the thread. you might want to look into it also.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    they aren't teaching me anything at the academy but I was curious enough to look up the exigent/emergency circumstance exemption to the 4th amendment. It was also posted here in the thread. you might want to look into it also.
    Yes I have... and it becomes an excuse any PD can make up.. The Patriot Act saw to that. My General point in any of this discussion is about restraint under pressure.

If this is the society you want I guess it makes sense for cops entering private yards and shooting the family dog. 9 out of 10 dogs are going to confront anyone not belonging there. So I guess all the outraged people just better get a grip on this new "Cowboy" out on our streets protecting us.

I have great respect for the Police and the job they do... but I also feel those who think their lives are in danger from a family pet may serve the public better being behind a desk. Or at least not go onto private property.

I also think if this case were to ever go to the SCOTUS , even they would not find this an "emergency" being so far from the missing child's home. The Salt Lake PD is stretching the intent of the variables of the Fourth Amendment.

A proper use of such would be what I said prior.. a neighbor or witness see child entering that backyard where a dog lives, and child could be in danger... Too much time would be needed to get a warrant.. the owner not being home to grant consent would then become exigent circumstance to enter the yard.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

was not the dog killed like 30 min after the "Missing child" was found in the home?
    I know I readed that someplace.
    and was not the dead dog a 110 pound wimer?
    are not they known as the gray gost? Sleek and fast?
    not this dog. if the doughnut lugger had pulled a Glazed instead of a Glock the dog would still be alive and he would have been able to do the snoopy snoop under the rouze of lost kid he was trying to do in the first place.
    Fry the goof ball!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Woulda, coulda , shoulda, bad

What if, good.
    u made your point but failed to answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/05...cmp=latestnews

Offered without comment regards

Bubba

tossed back at ya.

http://www.godvine.com/Police-Office...Away-1052.html

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/polic...submerged-car/

we can play this game all day on the internet.
    Last edited by goldieretriever50; 07-06-2014 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by goldieretriever50 View Post
    u made your point but failed to answer the question.
    by your own words the officer had one chance to get it right, IMHO he failed.
    Your argument is flawed in that you only gave 2 scenarios in your hypothesis.
    I don't like the what if game, but just for an example.
    What if the parents were not negligent.
    What if the police searched the house effectively.
    What if the LEO looked over the fence.....
    If , ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a fine Christmas we'd have.

by your own words the officer had one chance to get it right, IMHO he failed.
    Your argument is flawed in that you only gave 2 scenarios in your hypothesis.
    I don't like the what if game, but just for an example.
    What if the parents were not negligent.
    What if the police searched the house effectively.
    What if the LEO looked over the fence.....
    If , ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a fine Christmas we'd have.
    I get your point it's not fair for me to combat the what if game if I'm gonna play the what if game. Valid point and I agree with you. That being said do you think there would have been any reprocutions for failure to act? I'm just interested to hear your opinion. Not looking to use it an ammunition.

Side note. I'll have to watch the video again to see how high the fence was. I believe I saw it to be of some height. But if the fence was high enough were he couldn't see into the back yard, and he climbed the fence to peer over, he would be doing the exact same thing as if he opened the gate and walked through. The fenced in portion of the yard is considered "curtilage of the dwelling" and the owner would have the "expectation of privacy". If the officer couldn't see into the backyard from a public place or public eye, this can be a roadway or neighbors house etc etc, due to height of the fence, he can't climb and peer over it without a search warrant or under one of the search warrant exceptions. If heard people ask why he just didn't look over the fence. Well, if he did, depending what you could see if u didn't, it could be considered the same sort of action that he took by walking through the gate.

Ill check the video later it may not even be a question.

But, what do I know. I'm just a dumb donut lugging non-constitutional lawyer bossy corrupt good-old boy system dog hating dog shooting cop (did I miss anything)who wasn't taught anything in the academy.
    Last edited by goldieretriever50; 07-06-2014 at 07:01 AM.