RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Under socialized dogs

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  mountaindogs 
#1 ·
How do you all deal with dogs who come in under socialized, afraid of kennels, other dogs, new people, pick at food, lose interest in play, etc. do you find letting them settle in or pushing them through works best? I mean many dogs take a few days to settle, but this is beyond that. I am dealing with my second really frustrating one and " letting her settle in" seems to be just prolonging her issues. She almost seems worse. I am about at my wits end.
I would appreciate any ideas or experiences you might have to share. You can post here or PM if you'd rather.

#3 ·
I let them settle in, but if they get comfortable with me, then I take them out for obedience at first ,tends to boost their confidence a little.
Have a yellow male in now, he came in pretty spooked. Not sue he wasnt socialized, but more of a real soft weak temperement. He wouldnt come to me at all.
He was ok with some ob., then a bumper thrown really brought him out of his shell. I'm usually leery to do that til theyre confident , and that Im confident that they'll come ! Hes doing well, but I expect if it gets unpleasant for him , he will weenie out. We'll see

#4 · (Edited)
She's a Boykin. I worked with her littermate brother and he's bold as can be. He jumped in like he belonged here, and learned very quickly. But he also goes absolutely everywhere with his owner. She is a very different dog and a very different upbringing, as indoor dog not taken places, crated, kennels, or ever left alone. She is very friendly to me, but shy around my family. I have an English cocker in now as well, and they play some. The English cocker is a little ball of fire! Wide open!

#5 ·
I deal with a lot of pound pups and only wayi have found to help with the issuesis time trust and love. They gain confidence in you start feeling more confertable. One they gain your trust then start with one other person and work from there ad a create bumper then another person. It's not some thing that will happen over night . But have a few that I have had for years and they still have there moments.

#6 ·
You can try having him walk around and socialize him with an older dog who is not afraid of things. Just a suggestion. It did help me a bit with one pup I had.

#7 ·
IMO the first thing that you should do is call the owner and make sure they are well aware of the situation and the possible monetary reprocussions. Not saying a dog like that can't be trained just that any timelines that you may or may not have discussed with them are most likely out the window.

#8 ·
Going into obedience with an under socialized/timid dog can be dangerous. Your top priority should be to lift her spirits any way possible. Going for long walks several times a day in combination with hanging out with you in the office or house will help. I agree calling her owner to find out more about her background is important. Most clients are more understanding when the communication line is open. Sit down in her kennel with a pocket full of treats. Don't beg her to come to you but let her think it was her idea and reward with a quick treat. Your goal should be to gain the dogs trust then you can slowly sneak in your obedience. Patience is your best friend.

#9 ·
I would not worry about other dog right now. I would just air her with another vary quite one. I would greet her always with palms up and give her a treat and like someone already said I would not chase her make her come to you or turn your back and walk away. When she is comfortable, I would get a puppy bumper with a wing on it and a check cord and take her to the field for play. Tease and toss the bumper. You need to find out how she is in the field that's where it counts. If she jacks in the field, I would start to work in the OB. Read your dog, these types can fool you. Most are vary compliant and do not need much pressure to get a good out come. Last, In the yard I don't care how fast they are doing it. Just that they are and have a good attitude.

Keith

#10 ·
I like Chris Krause's plan. Our first dog is generally a soft girl, but traipsing through the woods together as a puppy encountering new strange things to sniff, climb over, crash thru etc. in a fun stress free manner really made a difference. Too much coaxing makes a bigger issue of things sometimes, just walking on and expecting her to follow worked best for me. She became real go-getter, but I did start at earlier age than you got this pup. Good luck. Ditto others recommendations to inform owners in a non blaming manner, so they can adjust their expectations and maybe even financial plans as to how long she will be away at training.

#11 ·
Chris Krausse, those are my thoughts too. She follows me around while I feed the goats, pigeons and weed the garden. She comes up to me well now for petting, but has no interest in treats. Barely picks at her food also. I contacted the owner a few days ago, but I would really like to get her over this. There is a great dog inside her I think. I am giving if a little longer and am supposed to contact him Wednesday or Thursday again.

Thanks all for the help!

#12 ·
So you have already found the solution. With any dog the key is to find what drives them. In this case praise and affection are going to be key. Move forward with your yard program slowly and pour on the praise. I'm talking ALOT. If a bystander stops and pets you thinking you are special then you might be doing enough. I have had dogs like this come through and as long as you focus on what drives them you can progress just fine in most cases.

#14 ·
I have not trained a Boykin yet but, would like to. With the Cocker's and Springer's this is fairly common, maybe one out of four. I have one the kennel right now. If you see him in the yard you would think he was a Dudley do right. Dose everything about 1/2 speed but, his tail is up and he is always a happy camper. When I take him to the field watch out, it hard to stop him. I remember, when I was puppy training and he took a loose flyer. Even though I had him on a check cord, I could not get there fast enough. through the cover and Right in the ditch. When he lost sight of the bird, here he comes, up out of the ditch. It made me laugh.

Keith

#15 ·
Sounds like she's coming around. If the physical praise and verbal praise is working it's just a matter of time before she settles in. I'd throw in a calm level headed small framed dog with you while feeding pigeons and goats. If she's at my kennel she'd be the first dog out as I drank my coffee and checked the mail. And the last one to be put up in my evening routine as I'm closing. If you have clients that visit frequently I'd use them to help with any puppy love possible. Sounds like you're gaining ground tho.

#16 ·
She is doing much much better, but it's still going to be slow with her. She is retrieving and handling VERY short light happy sessions of obedience. Thanks all for the advice. It seems a combination of many of your suggestions helped. And you are right, she is a praise motivated dog. Way more attuned to it than most. But that's easy enough for me :)
And also right that the owner has some deciding to do. I see no way this girl will handle precision obedience in any quick way. She will just take time. Way more than what they were expecting/hoping for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.