The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the "Wildrose Way?"

I got the book. Honestly, it's a good book to help you understand about training. Kind of an intro. It does not go in depth enough to train a dog though in my opinion if you don't have prior experience.

If you want the best and most proven methods to train a hunting dog, hunt test dog or field trial dog you'll have to keep looking.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Training a retriever is best done with the help of a group. It is difficult to throw marks any distance by yourself without resorting to stand alones. Throwing a triple without a serious investment in equipment is very difficult without help. Find a local training group and ask them what training program they use. It will be easier to ask for advice and help with problems if using the same program.
    Mark Land

Don't look like there is enough interest to tempt the Colonel to surface and announce to the world the superiority of his training methods.

Too bad he usually gets better action with the top water bait.

Must be the heat regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

I had a fellow want to bring me a dog a couple years back that wanted his dog trained the Wildrose way. I watched the video and told him I didn't think with his beast I could pull it off. With the right dog I think you could use it for a good hunting dog. It would take a pretty special dog to get to finished/master level without FF or a collar, but I'm sure some have.

Might try FB, its a notch up on the WR Way.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    There are those that have a rather strong opinion that the Wildrose kennel and programs have less to do with good dogs and training than they do with slick marketing. Therefore the term "get the popcorn ready" before the show starts so to speak.
    Ahhhh. Thanks.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I picked up the Wildrose book and DVD's out of curiosity. Just wondered if it had worked (or failed to work) for anyone. I'm finding that the book is definitely not thorough, but it's an enjoyable read so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce MacPherson View Post
    There are those that have a rather strong opinion that the Wildrose kennel and programs have less to do with good dogs and training than they do with slick marketing. Therefore the term "get the popcorn ready" before the show starts so to speak.
    W/R is more than a training program, its a way of life.
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Training a retriever is best done with the help of a group. It is difficult to throw marks any distance by yourself without resorting to stand alones. Throwing a triple without a serious investment in equipment is very difficult without help. Find a local training group and ask them what training program they use. It will be easier to ask for advice and help with problems if using the same program.
    Well put, I'm training my 1st lab and would not be as far as we are without help from a club. It takes longer to set up & tear down for one dog than it is to run him/her for a few marks. So training with a group it's nice to have more equipment available to set up multiple marks at one station if the dog needs help. I like that when I have questions or make mistakes that I get hands on help.