The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather train....

Default Would you rather train....

Would you rather have to train in excitement/retrieving or OB in a puppy?

I'm new to training and have a selection between 2 pups. One is rambunctious with a great desire to retrieve and adventurous, but she doesnt sit still much and isnt too interested in me unless I have something to throw. While her sister is much less into retrieving but way more interested in me and capable of being picked up without a struggle. Shes more cautious when exploring new places as well.

I'm totally stuck as I like the drive of the 1st but the pup will be indoors a lot and the calm demeanor of the 2nd would be nice. I've been watching Hillmann and he has pups that remind me of both, but his videos dont focus much on how they are inside! Maybe If I watched further in the video Id know which dog was easier to train...

Thoughts?

Seems like only a question you could answer.....

What's your level or training...... Will dog 1 be too hot for you?

How much time do you have to train?

Will the dog go to a pro or will you be the only one training?

You can always take drive out (on/off switch) but you cant put drive into a dog that doesn't have it IMO
    Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)

Ask yourself one question, "What are your goals for this pup?" How much time have you spent around these two dogs? Maybe you caught one after a long nap, and the other after romping around for a while. I'd ask the breeder more about their personalities on daily basis. I'd rather teach a high drive dog to be obedient, rather than try to put drive into a dog.
    Last edited by Rick S; 07-01-2014 at 09:35 AM.

How old are they? Just because she doesn't show the desire to retrieve now doesn't mean anything.

I'll clarify a bit. I'm a first time trainer, the dog wont go to a pro. I want the dog to hunt water/fields and if I become interested/good enough in them maybe get a JH and SH.

I have spent about an hour or two with them every weekend for the past 3 weekends, a total of 5 times at different times of the day. they will be 49 days on Wednesday.

I will be able to train mornings, evenings, and some quick sessions over lunch. Otherwise the dog will be indoors, and in a home I rent.

I hope that helps.

i like the calmer pups Desire cant be gauged at 5 weeks! Id want the pup that wants to be with me.. isnt crazy bull headed running around like chicken with its head cut off...
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wastinshells View Post
    Would you rather have to train in excitement/retrieving or OB in a puppy?

I'm new to training and have a selection between 2 pups. One is rambunctious with a great desire to retrieve and adventurous, but she doesnt sit still much and isnt too interested in me unless I have something to throw. While her sister is much less into retrieving but way more interested in me and capable of being picked up without a struggle. Shes more cautious when exploring new places as well.

I'm totally stuck as I like the drive of the 1st but the pup will be indoors a lot and the calm demeanor of the 2nd would be nice. I've been watching Hillmann and he has pups that remind me of both, but his videos dont focus much on how they are inside! Maybe If I watched further in the video Id know which dog was easier to train...

Thoughts?
    Sort of hard to tell at this age really. Drive is good, but so is teamwork, but it is hard to tell that they won't develop both.

Assuming that is the way the pups turn out as they get older, I think Hillmann would focus more on control with the first and excitement with the second as he trained them (apologies to Mountainduck for stealing some of his Bill Hillmann: Jedi Zen Master schtick).

I will take drive over dead every time. You can rain them in but you have a hard time pushing them out. That said, you may get more dog than you can handle.
    JMHO: Don

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Sort of hard to tell at this age really. Drive is good, but so is teamwork, but it is hard to tell that they won't develop both.

Assuming that is the way the pups turn out as they get older, I think Hillmann would focus more on control with the first and excitement with the second as he trained them (apologies to Mountainduck for stealing some of his Bill Hillmann: Jedi Zen Master schtick).
    Ahh grasshoppa......use the force!

What is the breeding of the pups? If from field proven parents, and I was looking for a calm gun dog/pet that I might dabble in HT's with I'd be interested in the calmer puppy personally (but it can all change)!
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Seems one dog has already picked you, the other could care less. I like the adventurous ones, however I've always picked the one that's really been into me, making sure I go with them, wanting me to do things with them, and that the other pups stay away. They are too young to know about retrieving drive etc. plus getting a pup way from the litter changes things, a seemingly easy going pup, can become a terror once they get away from their siblings. A good breeding should have bird drive, instinct, intelligence etc. built in; teamwork is something that must be built over time; I'd rather have the one that already wants to work with me than the one I have to convince. They only get more stubborn as time goes on especially the girls .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-01-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)