The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you rather train....

The breedings are good. MHs and some FCs back in the lines.

The active pup comes when called while the calm pup ignores me if she is off doing her thing. But the calm pup likes being near me most of the time (or shes off exploring ignoring my calls) while the active pup wants me to keep doing things with her.

I should mention all of this interaction is one on one.

What is the breeder opinion?
    They have met you and know their puppies better than anyone.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

I would go with the calmer pup that has already picked you. When I picked out my most recent pup (from a breeding I really liked), I choose the one that laid down first when looking at the whole litter. He has proven to have LOTS of drive and an off switch when in the house. (My previous dog didn't have an off switch and continually paced in the house which was difficult to handle - in the house and in the field.)
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Pick up an 8 week old Pup He said!
    "Roll it on the lawn away from you.If it comes back straight away for more?...That's the one ! It has drive and biddability"
    Worked for 'Him' .My Grandfather. Take that same pup and train it without those traits in mind and you have a dog. Train it with the same enthusiasm in your mind and you have a Gundog ...................He never had a bad one as I remember . Not very scientific but 'True'
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

I personally would Pick a pup who is more adventurous and ambitious. Also ask the breeder for their input. Think about what you want to do! You don't want a slouch as a hunting partner either. And you don't want to be pushing a pup to retrieve. Proper obedience and consistency in teaching will curb issues. Much more fun to train when they have zip and desire!! IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    I personally would Pick a pup who is more adventurous and ambitious. Also ask the breeder for their input. Think about what you want to do! You don't want a slouch as a hunting partner either. And you don't want to be pushing a pup to retrieve. Proper obedience and consistency in teaching will curb issues. Much more fun to train when they have zip and desire!! IMHO
    I can't argue with that statement Mary Lynn! Just recently can debate however first hand with the litter here . At 6 weeks it would be a lottery as they were all peas in a pod and all had bumble bee's and broken bottles in their head (they were just pups in a litter) at 8 weeks they individually showed slight differences within that 'litter'/bunch and were all familiar with the set up. I can 'Debate' however, as I keep most of the pups we rarely breed here and the litter of 9 were her until release at 11 weeks old . ..At 10 weeks old I would have put money on three that were like you describe but wouldn't give them a second glance at 3 weeks previous .I now have 4 and keeping them from the original 9 and all these 4 are what was left from the pre-booked clients had not chosen . I am highly delighted with what I have to work with now! ..The breeding is right. I took careful planning and thought before hand. I can either bring the best of that breeding out in the training or do it a dis- service by doing it wrong. I would hope that I do the best for the best I have bred ,whether it is here or with the new owners of the breed line.

It's not easy to know what to pick. When I picked the one I currently have (my first), I just knew he was mine the first time I laid eyes on him. Then I was worried that he was a little sluggish and lazy at 4-5 weeks old. Anybody who has ever seen him can tell you he ain't that anymore. Drive to the point of crazy with this one.

I do want to wring his neck every now and then, but I think having a high-drive dog as a first dog helps you in two ways. First, they challenge you every single step of the way, and you have to get better as a trainer to simply manage them. Second, assuming the dog is not the seemingly odd combo of high-drive and soft, he will be able to forgive you of your mistakes with pressure. And you will make mistakes with pressure.

High-drive dogs certainly have their issues, but keep in mind you would probably rather be having to tell your dog "whoa" than "giddy-up" on a regular basis. And with the proper training, which you will be forced to learn to have a fighting chance at managing a high-drive dog, you can install the "whoa" without ruining the dog. That may not be true if you are trying to install "giddy-up".

Good luck with your pup, and whatever happens enjoy the journey.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    I can't argue with that statement Mary Lynn! Just recently can debate however first hand with the litter here . At 6 weeks it would be a lottery as they were all peas in a pod and all had bumble bee's and broken bottles in their head (they were just pups in a litter) at 8 weeks they individually showed slight differences within that 'litter'/bunch and were all familiar with the set up. I can 'Debate' however, as I keep most of the pups we rarely breed here and the litter of 9 were her until release at 11 weeks old . ..At 10 weeks old I would have put money on three that were like you describe but wouldn't give them a second glance at 3 weeks previous .I now have 4 and keeping them from the original 9 and all these 4 are what was left from the pre-booked clients had not chosen . I am highly delighted with what I have to work with now! ..The breeding is right. I took careful planning and thought before hand. I can either bring the best of that breeding out in the training or do it a dis- service by doing it wrong. I would hope that I do the best for the best I have bred ,whether it is here or with the new owners of the breed line.
    Yes, it is a gamble! I will still take the more adventurous and ambitious pup!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Yes, it is a gamble! I will still take the more adventurous and ambitious pup!!
    Is that the one that comes back after you have rolled it on the lawn? .

I'm a rookie at this as well but if I were in your shoes would pick the more adventurous one as well. Its kind of a crap shoot but go with your gut and do your best with what you end up with.