The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in Purinia

Default Disappointed in Purinia

I just got off the phone with Purinia to confirm they are buying ingredients from China. After what happened with the treats from there, I'm not feeding Chinese ingredients to my dogs. Been a loyal customer for years...truly disappointed.

What products are receiving these China ingredients?
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

Lee, I agree 100% with you. I will not buy anything that is produced in China. (Except clothes, because the world is not ready for me to go naked). Their standards of quality are based purely on what will make the most $$$. The culture is so radically different than ours that a businessman is judged purely on his profit margin even if their products are killing people and animals be they consumers or workers. If more people would take a stand it might make a difference. Yes, it is damned hard to find what you need produced in countries with standards, but it is worth the effort. For safety, economic and political reasons. You should have seen what I went through at a store the other day to be sure the flea/tick product I was buying was not Chinese. Fortunately the store owner was just as determined as I was to find out the origin of the product! He also won a loyal customer.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Senior Member Last Frontier Labs's Avatar

Did you have to call to find out or was this info on the bag somewhere?
    Sherri Young

"It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nestle, Mars, Colgate and Delmonte all seem to import a lot of ingredients from China, even for their supposed 'premium' or 'natural' brands.

The guy at the high end pet store up the street recently went through his entire inventory and dropped anything that had ingredients from China. He said it was quite a chore as folks are not so forthcoming.

I am not big on country of origin, but do care about things the dogs and folks in the household eat.

I've always been curious at the love for PPP here despite its poor ratings http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

It only gets a 3 star, though its widely recommended here. Personally, since I can't find any of the 5 star foods, yet alone feel like spending $90 on a bag of food is wise spending, I'm going to go with the 4 star taste of the wild foods.

Quote Originally Posted by wastinshells View Post
    I've always been curious at the love for PPP here despite its poor ratings http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/

It only gets a 3 star, though its widely recommended here. Personally, since I can't find any of the 5 star foods, yet alone feel like spending $90 on a bag of food is wise spending, I'm going to go with the 4 star taste of the wild foods.
    Taste of the Wild is manufactured by Diamond, which does not have the best reputation to say the least. DF Advisor is a good resource but not the end all and be all.

If you are having trouble finding a food that you like nearby, check out chewy.com They have most foods at good prices and free shipping. You can set up auto orders as well once you get the timing down for re-orders.

Yikes! $90 for a bag of food? You can find 5-star (premium quality) foods with free shipping on a few Internet pet food sites, like my favorite, Chewy.com. Oh, and foods that won't break your piggy bank...

Quote Originally Posted by wastinshells View Post

Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Nelson View Post
    I just got off the phone with Purinia to confirm they are buying ingredients from China. After what happened with the treats from there, I'm not feeding Chinese ingredients to my dogs. Been a loyal customer for years...truly disappointed.
    What are you switching to Lee?
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Thanks for the resource. I'll check it out.