The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in Purinia

I agree, feed whatever you want. What I'm taking exception to here is singling out Purina for using vitamin additives from China. Also objecting to people implying that Purina is adding anything other than trace ingredients that were sourced in China. If you read thru this thread, it sounds like Purina is using chickens raised in China rather than just trace ingredients.
    Sure, I know the Purina Pro Club is a marketing ploy. But they have donated over $165,000 to the Golden Retriever Club of America's health research foundation over the past 9 years. That means something to me. Haven't seen any of the other manufacturers, large or small, doing the same.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl4c1...FttoeW&index=1

Imagine if all companies had the advertising budget Purina has... what does not go into the food in quality ingredients gets used to make great ads...
    You must be a Dr. Tim's rep!!! You really dislike PPP?? Give it a rest!!! Just let us feed our dogs what we want. It won't satisfy you anyways; I can see that! IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    You must be a Dr. Tim's rep!!! You really dislike PPP?? Give it a rest!!! Just let us feed our dogs what we want. It won't satisfy you anyways; I can see that! IMO
    Just got no love lost for a company that has sold China Jerky treats that has killed so many dogs.. so much for quality control... and being China sourced.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...-jerky-treats/

but as long as it was not your dog.. so what..
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

I am always checking and looking for a good dog food, and now I am experiencing a new look for feeding a litter of pups. Most of us want the best for our pets. In reading this thread, I wasn’t aware of Taurine and started to check that out. Below is what I found. You will see if the amount of meat in the dog food was sufficient, it wouldn’t be necessary to add this supplement.

Taurine is essential for cardiovascular function, and development and function of skeletal muscle, the retina and the central nervous system.

Taurine occurs naturally in food, especially in seafood and meat. Taurine is now a requirement of the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) and any dry or wet food product labeled approved by the AAFCO should have a minimum of 0.1% taurine in dry food and 0.2% in wet food.[66]

Synthetic taurine: In 1993, approximately 5,000–6,000 tons of taurine were produced for commercial purposes; 50% for pet food manufacture, 50% in pharmaceutical applications. As of 2010, China alone has more than 40 manufacturers of taurine. Most of these enterprises employ the ethanolamine method to produce a total annual production of about 3,000 tons.

In the end, I personally do not trust any food ingredient from China, whether for me or my pets. (By the way, 4Health, Salmon & Potato has no Taurine listed as ingredient.
    Last edited by 2goldens; 07-03-2014 at 06:36 PM.
    Peg Willbond
    HRCH Rippling Run Good Golly Molly, MH, UD, WCX
    Rippling Run Touch of Spice ** MH, WCX
    Rippling Run Allie Allie In Free, ** MH, WCX

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Just got no love lost for a company that has sold China Jerky treats that has killed so many dogs.. so much for quality control... and being China sourced.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...-jerky-treats/

but as long as it was not your dog.. so what..
    I do feel bad for those dogs and their owners that have died! And not so what!!!! More than one company involved

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health...s-dogs-f420251
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I just put down a 13yo female on June first due to cancer, the dog ate PPP her whole life. Will I feed my next puppy PPP? Absolutely, I in no way believe that this dog developed cancer due to eating PPP! Cancer happens, whether it be in people or dogs. We talk about a rise in canine cancer, but how many dogs or people for that matter have died of cancer years ago when medical technology was not what it is now, we have no way of knowing. Years and years ago I remember reading one of Wolter's books where he talked about one of his dogs developing cancer, it was Jet if I'm not mistaken. I highly doubt that in those days the food that he was feeding was loaded with Chinese taurine. I'll say it again, cancer happens no matter the food. I have seen so many foods come and go, I used to feed Euk, but I remember when Diamond was all the rage, the same for Nutro, Blackwoods, Black Gold and so on and so on. Dr Timms will be the same way. I can tell you that I have had nothing but good results with PPP, better than most other foods I've tried.

As for the corporate aspect, does Purina spend a lot of money in ad? Yes, of course! Do they give pros and breeders great incentives? Yes. Keep in mind though that some of the most reputable pros and breeders feed PPP, do you really think that some of the best in the FT business would feed their dogs crap just to save a few bucks?

PPP - 1) 16 /4 years 2) 14/4 years 3) 13/11 years 4) 11/4 years - NONE died of cancer!

The Chinese taurine used by Purina is only added to their cat food according to the rep I spoke with.

Just an observation about the incidence of cancer (canine, human or otherwise.) The chances of cancer go up as you age. (Replicate a few key genes in key organ systems for 80 years or so... chances are really good that one of them will fold up wrong and become an oncogene... a cancer producing gene... that doesn't respond to nature's control systems.)

Anyhow, simple observation. People are living longer and there is way more cancer than their used to be. Dogs are living longer and they're coming down with cancer. Before you blame one ingredient from China... think about how the public gets its nickers in a knot with each study that wants to blame cancer on coffee, or bacon or hotdogs... next thing you know it's drinking water and greenhouse gasses. You just can't point to a trace element and say that's the cause. It's not intellectually sound to do so.

Now, emotionally... that's another thing. My 4 y.o. dog with AA points died from a bad batch of food. (Too much sodium.) He was the only dog in the kennel that didn't vomit it up.

I feed PPP. It's a matter of who's quality control you trust.

Victor dog food has taurine in it also.