The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash aggression, Lab

Default Flash aggression, Lab

Sorry for how long… A little background -

3 yr old BLM “Eddie”, full time house dog, very good OB dog, not so hot hunt test dog, very slow to mature. Normally the sweetest boy, who loves to cuddle even with our older dog. Most of the time it is just Ken and I around but when the kids, grand kids and young nieces and/or nephews come, both dogs have always been very friendly and Eddie is a kisser and plays with them all. Eddie is not the friendliest with other dogs though, not all dogs but he has snarled and lunged at some. He has never actually been in a fight with any and gets along very well with our older dog. He does have a bad habit of doing a like half whine, half bark noise at me and rubbing his teeth on my hand when I tell him something he doesn’t want to do but he has never ever left a mark and he will do a puppy pounce and do what he was told.

So the other night my 6 year old granddaughter, Cloe, spent the night. She has stayed with us numerous times without any issues. She does not tease the dogs, she gives them treats and she will even put them through some OB exercises. Both dogs are normally very sweet to her and they even help put her to bed with kisses and wagging tails. So it is around 10 PM, Ken has gone to bed, I at the table, dogs are laying in the family room and Cloe is lying on the couch in the same room. I can see her perfectly and am only about 15 feet away, open concept. Her arm is hanging off the couch. Eddie gets up, and walks over to Cloe, tail wagging and gives her a little kiss. Cloe reached out with her other had to the other side of Eddie’s head and kind of leans to see the TV. In a flash there was snarling and teeth flashing and Eddie was on top of her. She screamed, I ran and kicked him square in the side, Scrubs even jumped between him and Cloe. It was loud enough of an attack that it woke Ken who knew that it wasn’t good. Eddie knew he was wrong. His body language was clearly submissive and apologetic, if a dog can be apologetic, afterwards. Lots of crying but he did not break the skin. He did leave welts and a red streak down her forehead along with a bent pair of glasses. Ken took him outside and we kept him separated from Cloe for the rest of the night. He was his normal friendly self the next day and Cloe said she still loved him and he was still her friend.

I don’t know what to think… Ken is talking that we need to put him down (I’d hate to do that) or keep him locked up when the kids are here but I’m afraid that may make him worse and sometimes they just show up. Biggest problem is I don’t know what set him off! I’m just looking for ideas as I’m sure others have dealt with similar situations. Thanks in advance…
    If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver.

Flyin High in the Passenger Side CD RN CGC - "Scrub"

K&D's Sweet Romancer RN CGC - "Eddie" - newest member of the family.

High Flying Storm Trooper - Trooper (02/25/03 - 07/26/09) - He gave us his all - We miss you big guy...run and play...

It almost sounds as if he felt she was making a dominant move on him when she reached across his neck and he reacted to show his dominance over her. Not a good situation, he needs to know that he is not the dominant one in any situation with people, especially kids.

We once had a very dominant BLM, but he never acted out with kids. My husband and I had to put him a submissive position about every 3-4 months for most of his life just to get him to listen to us. He was a house pet that had regular exercise, we were told that neutering him would help, but we never did.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution, not euthanasia.
    Paula

Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Kerr View Post

I don’t know what to think… Ken is talking that we need to put him down (I’d hate to do that) or keep him locked up when the kids are here but I’m afraid that may make him worse and sometimes they just show up. Biggest problem is I don’t know what set him off! I’m just looking for ideas as I’m sure others have dealt with similar situations. Thanks in advance…
    1. Just thinking out loud here... Sometimes with a dominant dog, the dog will come up to you and basically "demand" your attention, by shoving his snout in your hands or kissing you or whatnot, and when you reward him with that affection without consistently requiring him to do something for you, like "sit" first or obey some command before getting rewarded with that affection he wants, that particular dog will begin to think that he's really the one in charge and not you. So as time goes by, he decides he wants you to do what he wants, and the dominant dog can get pretty pushy about it, and snippy even if you all of a sudden don't do what he's commanded you to do. Is it possible that he bit her because she didn't give him what he wanted, and pushed him aside?

2. Like a PJ said, is it possible the dog thought the little girl was making a dominant move on him? Eye to eye, both hands near his face etc?

Truly though, the answer to why your dog did this doesn't really matter. Your husband is right in my opinion. The dog either needs to be put down, or he needs to be kenneled whenever children are at your house or in your yard. You were only 15 feet away, and that wasn't close enough. He could've killed her or severely disfigured her, and she only acted like every other normal child would.

It's possible that training could help this dog. Maybe the aggression issue could be worked on with a trainer, but personally, I would never let the dog be in the vicinity of children again, off leash. And I mean an actual leash, held by either your husband or yourself, not just an e-collar.

Sorry my answer is so negative. I know it's a heartbreaking issue all around, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

Strange aggressive behavior to human that hasn't been seen before; Get the dog to the vet. Could be he's in pain, (ear infection, tooth etc.) or he's losing sight in an eye, so when the child touched him he startled. Could be a behavioral thing, but I'd get the health aspect cleared before I'd look that way.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Donna, tough call. I guess I might look at a few things.
    If you chose to not put him down:
    Consider he did not break the skin, did have the opportunity, but held back to some degree. I think dogs can make mistakes and learn from them. On that note we are not that far from the wolf with any dog breeding.
    1st, get him cut. May not help with future aggression but sure will keep him from passing any of his genetics.
    2ed, might call it a one time event, watch him very closely from now on.
    3ed, I would not let him around kids again until your sure he is OK.
    Good Luck, Don

Vet first and check him out.
    I would consider calling someone to assist you with the behavior rather than us spec on the forum
    Lucky someone there at the time or things could be different. Don`t leave him alone again with a child or anyone until..That is the issue Find out why and go from there. IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

What do you know about his background (parent's clearances etc)? I'd think seriously about having his eyes checked by a ACVO. You mention he's good at obed, but not so much at hunt tests.... maybe he has an eyesight issue???

I had the same problem with a clm he was with us since a puppy, at about 1.5 year old started to growl at strangers while in his kennel on the truck. Then one day got back from hunting pretty hard and he was tired my daughter was lying on the floor with him rolled over to give him a kiss then he smacked her in the face, she still has the scare. We got him looked at and it was about 2 months and it happened again, My daughter is way more important than the best dog. It was very hard on my 9 year old girl, It was the right thing to, we found a single guy who will only hunt him and keep him in an outside kennel away from kids. The only way I would do it, By the way the dog was HR titled and 1 finish pass. The best thing for all involved and thats been 2 years and no more issues.

I would take him to the vet..... sounds like something is going on. Eyesight could be part of it. If he checks out fine, go for the obedience, and crate him at night when the kids are around.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I knew a sweet heart of a dog but if you put a hand behind the dogs head , not so nice. a bit touchy from FF
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX