The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Thread: No Price on litters customary?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    27

    Default No Price on litters customary?

    Hi I was wondering what folks thoughts were on posting the price and pedigree info for advertised litters? It seems like most put pedigree info and price of the deposit, then something along the lines of serious inquiries only but no asking price. This is kind of ridiculous IMHO as why not put the price and terms out there? It might save the breeder having to listen to a bunch of tire kickers who's only purpose for calling was to find out the price which could have been easily posted. From a buyers standpoint it is frustrating researching pedigrees and then having to contact a lot of breeders just to see if they make the price cut. I am not a poor guy but price IS a concern with every purchase I make. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member IowaBayDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    To most of those serious breeders, if price of the puppy is a concern you probably aren't the client they are looking for. The initial price of the puppy is small compared to the price of ownership for a dog that will be trained and tested/trialed. It also somewhat protects the privacy of a buyer. They buy a pup and its their business what they paid for it, not public knowledge. The people that sell and buy on here are typically more concerned with pedigrees and health clearances than price, to a limit of course.

    This will be your companion for 12+ years god willing, might not be wise to skimp on the cost of something so important.
    ________________________________
    Dan Cram
    Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

  3. #3
    Senior Member John Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bigfork, Montana
    Posts
    3,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    To most of those serious breeders, if price of the puppy is a concern you probably aren't the client they are looking for. The initial price of the puppy is small compared to the price of ownership for a dog that will be trained and tested/trialed. It also somewhat protects the privacy of a buyer. They buy a pup and its their business what they paid for it, not public knowledge. The people that sell and buy on here are typically more concerned with pedigrees and health clearances than price, to a limit of course.

    This will be your companion for 12+ years god willing, might not be wise to skimp on the cost of something so important.
    Still, it wouldn't hurt to note the price, unless it varies depending on circumstances.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    283

    Default

    I have a litter posted with the info you stated but no price. My reasoning is at the time I posted the ad I wasn't sure if she was even pregnant and how many pups she would be having. I had a couple prices in mind but liter size was the determining factor. The way I see it, you advertise the litter at conception and again once the puppies are born. I have since had a ultrasound and determined the approx size of the litter and went back and added the price. I suspect lots of the litters which don't have a price are breedings that just took place and are more like a breeding announcement.

  5. #5
    Senior Member i_willie12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Marshall MO
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    To most of those serious breeders, if price of the puppy is a concern you probably aren't the client they are looking for. The initial price of the puppy is small compared to the price of ownership for a dog that will be trained and tested/trialed. It also somewhat protects the privacy of a buyer. They buy a pup and its their business what they paid for it, not public knowledge. The people that sell and buy on here are typically more concerned with pedigrees and health clearances than price, to a limit of course.

    This will be your companion for 12+ years god willing, might not be wise to skimp on the cost of something so important.
    yeah but..... There is a big difference between $800-1000 and $2500!!! I have often wonder why price isnt listed as well
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

    HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    yeah but..... There is a big difference between $800-1000 and $2500!!! I have often wonder why price isnt listed as well
    Bingo, we have a winner..........

  7. #7
    Senior Member IowaBayDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Bingo, we have a winner..........
    A difference that big should be pretty evident by the pedigree. Barring the rare case that someone is just plain out of their mind on price.
    ________________________________
    Dan Cram
    Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

  8. #8
    Senior Member DropinBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Even great pedigrees prices can vary from $800-2500 and that is a huge difference. What should I be looking for to know its a $2500 Pup vs a $1000 Pup?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    A difference that big should be pretty evident by the pedigree. Barring the rare case that someone is just plain out of their mind on price.
    I did a search on RTF a couple weeks back, there was a few around $1000 that looked better than the ones for $2000+, a listed price would eliminate the need to deal with the "out of their mind" price people.

  10. #10
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DropinBack View Post
    Even great pedigrees prices can vary from $800-2500 and that is a huge difference. What should I be looking for to know its a $2500 Pup vs a $1000 Pup?
    Generally speaking in FT circles the price revolves around the sire and if he is an FC AFC all the way up to an NFC or NAFC...where it gets really pricey is when the dam is also titled..but in all honesty those litters are rarely listed because potential buyers are usually already waiting in line when an FC or AFC bitch is about to be bred..

    There will always be a small segment of sellers who can command a higher price on their litters based on their previous reputation of producing successful litters

    The market will also determine the price of a litter based on the sire being the "stud of the month" with the fanboys
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •