The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: No Price on litters customary?

You can sell your pups any way you want. I can choose to do commerce with you or walk away ... No big deal.

For conversation , Ben was hopefully concieved last week. In April I sent the deposit for a set price.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Many of the really good breedings never go to the classifieds in the first place. Assume you are not in the FC/AFC x FC/AFC club. You see folks showing up with young dogs from incredible breedings that you didn't even get to sniff. After a while in the game, you get to know some folks, find a dog or a bitch that you really like, etc. When that breeder calls you up and says they are doing a repeat of one of their OMG breedings and wondered if you would like to be on the list for a pup, are you really going to ask how much?
    Short answer- not a chance! Only question I would ask is "when can I pick it up?" Next question please lol
    Last edited by Jamee Strange; 07-02-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

So the last dozen or so adds don't have a price. You as the breeder want me the buyer, the one with the money, to call you, talk for an hour, only to find out your askin too much, or more than I am willing to spend. Then I have to do it again on the next add. BS. No price no call. 50 add just on RTF in last month. There's enough good breedings with price, I won't waste my time.

I'm in the market now. This is all good info

Quote Originally Posted by Swampcollie View Post
    Once you get out of the newspaper puppy world, most breeders don't post prices in ads.

Most breeders want to have some conversation with the prospective homes for their puppies. They want to discuss many things and develop a feel for what kind of home a prospective owner will provide for the puppy. If the breeder has any kind of uneasy feeling about somebody they will more than likely not sell them a puppy. So if you're interested in a puppy, call the breeder. They intentionally omitted the price to foster communication with people.

Puppies are not toasters or TV's.
    So they are afraid that buyers will not call and just mail a check if they list the price?
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

I thought maybe I was alone in my thoughts as I never seen the question asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdluck View Post
    So the last dozen or so adds don't have a price. You as the breeder want me the buyer, the one with the money, to call you, talk for an hour, only to find out your askin too much, or more than I am willing to spend. Then I have to do it again on the next add. BS. No price no call. 50 add just on RTF in last month. There's enough good breedings with price, I won't waste my time.

LOl That is some convoluted logic! Put your asking price out there, I promise Ill still have questions
    Quote Originally Posted by TIM DOANE View Post
    So they are afraid that buyers will not call and just mail a check if they list the price?

Why not post all available and applicable information? The prospective buyer is going to call based on the information provided, and if the breeder isn't comfortable with the buyer then they can at that time refuse to offer them a puppy. As a new puppy buyer myself it saves alot of time and effort if the ASKING price is more than someone is willing to pay. I do understand that there can be extenuating circumstances that a puppy may be offered for less, but for someone like myself that probably wasn't going to be the case. With that being said, I think it would make the process much less painful for all involved if all information was available in the ad.

Just my thoughts!

We have a Choc Lab bitch with hunt test and rally titles that we bred to a breed CH stud with hunt test titles. My dream is to someday have a breed CH dog with MH title. When selling our first litter, we did both re price. Posting whelp announcements on Facebook, and spreading word via friends without any price listed/mentioned. Then putting ad online thru a statewide sales site many hunters use, with price listed. Each of our pups sold for different prices, dependent on the pup's potential(determined by temperament testing etc)and type of home the buyer offered. Our favorite puppy family who joined HRC club and plans to title the puppy that goes to work each day with his new owner, would not have even contacted us for the higher price listed in our advertisement. Once we had conversations with him about the importance of pedigree and health testing etc, balanced by the type of home he offered, we easily reached mutually agreed price that was higher than he had planned on and lower than our optimal number. We would have lost out on a great home if he had just seen our listed price. That young family man would not have even called, thinking he could not afford our puppy to replace his aging hunting companion. So "chatting" with the buyer helped us set the price for that puppy, plus got us a chance to introduce him to the world of hunt tests! Online advertised pup sold for the full higher listed price, he lives with experienced dog owner in wonderful rural setting, will be actively hunted but not tested. Our one non-hunt prospect pup got great pet home with wonderful couple at our lowest price. We might have sold him for more as an obedience or rally prospect, but he replaced a recently deceased dog that the family had spent many thousands $ trying to save. They were excited to get a health clearanced dog that looked like their former sick one. His family is crazy about him, sending constant emails and photos praising him. In the long run, proper owner match was much more important to us than a few hundred dollars more per puppy. We bred our girl to get a great dog from her for ourselves, carefully choosing the stud to add specific qualities we desired. Breeding and whelping a litter was an expensive project that we never planned to profit financially from, especially true since she only had 4 puppies, and all males! Perhaps bigger breeding operations have different standards and reasons for/against listing their prices, but wanted to share our experience.
    *Another point re price- The stud owner expects her pupppies to sell for a certain price and asked us not to decrease his future pups' value by selling our puppies at a lower price.
    Last edited by dogluvah; 07-03-2014 at 05:35 AM.

A good dog is priceless... a dog you can't stand to be around is worthless..

What I love about RTF classifieds is most post a price. It saves a lot of effort and wasted time if a pup is out of your price range.

I'd also pay twice what you are asking if you could guarantee a good hunting companion. But you and I know there are no guarantees that will happen.
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 07-03-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith