The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Of July 1776

Default 2nd Of July 1776

On July 1, 1776, (Caesar Agustus) Rodney was not in attendance at the Second Continental Congress due to the fact he was in Delaware investigating and subduing a Tory uprising. On July 1, 1776, Thomas McKean, also a delegate to the Second Continental Congress, sent an urgent message to Rodney requesting his immediate return to Philadelphia. The Congress had taken a vote on independence. Nine colonies voted for independence, with South Carolina and Pennsylvania dissenting, and New York abstaining. Delaware was deadlocked with McKean voting for independence and George Reed against. A unanimous vote was desperately needed for political and psychological reasons if independence were to succeed.
    Upon returning home from the Tory uprising, Rodney received the message from McKean stating that the vote was scheduled for July 2, 1776. Physically weak from his cancer and asthma, and exhausted from the riots, Brigadier General Caesar Augustus Rodney embarked on an epic ride, as great as, or greater than the "famous" ride of Paul Revere. During a tremendous thunderstorm, complete with heavy rain and spectacular lightning, Rodney immediately left his home and headed for Philadelphia to cast the most important vote of his life. He rode the entire night and into the next day, which was oppressively hot. He had ridden eighty miles, stopping only to change horses. Rodney arrived at the meeting covered in baked-on mud and dust, just in time to cast his vote. He has been credited with saying, "As I believe the voice of my constituents and of all sensible and honest men is in favor of independence, my own judgement concurs with them. I vote for independence".

This one man embodied the original and the real definition of The American Spirit.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

During the bicentennial, various states issued coins commemorating the events. Since they lived basically on the border of PA and DE, my grandparents got me one of each. The DE coin featured Caesar Rodney's ride. However, the first version that came out had the date on the coin as July 12, 1776, instead of July 1-2. I got one with the mistake and later got one with the actual dates and have them in a little display side by side. Kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    During the bicentennial, various states issued coins commemorating the events. Since they lived basically on the border of PA and DE, my grandparents got me one of each. The DE coin featured Caesar Rodney's ride. However, the first version that came out had the date on the coin as July 12, 1776, instead of July 1-2. I got one with the mistake and later got one with the actual dates and have them in a little display side by side. Kind of cool.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

This is the kind of things that should be taught in our U.S. history books. Thank you for posting it. Going to share it this 4th of July.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Another interesting Independence tidbit. The flag and seal of NC bears the dates April 12, 1776 and May 20, 1775. The April '76 date was the Halifax resolves which gave the NC delegates to the Continental Congress the authority to vote for independence. May 20, 1775 is "Meck Dec Day" or the date where supposedly a group of NC militias got together after hearing about the battle of Lexington and declared independence from Great Britain. Whether it really happened or happened as folks said is a matter of debate, but John Adams apparently believed that Jefferson essentially plagiarized it as part of his taking all the credit for independence away from himself.

Franco,

If he had been 'smoking dope' he would have been lost and never found his way.....!

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Franco,

If he had been 'smoking dope' he would have been lost and never found his way.....!
    Maybe that's why he took so long to ride the 80 miles, he was riding the horse at half speed. Which is so typical of stoners. Or, maybe it help ease the pain of his Cancer allowing him to make the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Another interesting Independence tidbit. The flag and seal of NC bears the dates April 12, 1776 and May 20, 1775. The April '76 date was the Halifax resolves which gave the NC delegates to the Continental Congress the authority to vote for independence. May 20, 1775 is "Meck Dec Day" or the date where supposedly a group of NC militias got together after hearing about the battle of Lexington and declared independence from Great Britain. Whether it really happened or happened as folks said is a matter of debate, but John Adams apparently believed that Jefferson essentially plagiarized it as part of his taking all the credit for independence away from himself.
    Those two it was a hate/respect association, Adams and Jefferson! Correct me if wrong but didn't they pass on the 50th anniversary of the signing, both on the same day?

Neat piece of American history.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I have been doing genealogy in a miner way for a lot of years. A year or so back I stumbled onto a fellow with the same last name as my maiden name. He was part of the Boston tea party but not the part on the boat. I had never read about what went on besides the tea dumping. I have no idea if this man was related to me by blood but he sure sounded like I feel at times...........a rebel.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~