The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No need to speak English

My neighbor, Wolfgang, is from Germany. He said it is mandatory that everyone learn English, French and some other language. It is a valuable skill when engaged in trade or when traveling in Europe.

A common language is a valuable source of unity, yet being able to speak another language also has its benefits. In order to get a PhD. in most graduate schools in this country you must display competency in two of three languages: French, German, and Russian.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

As the article says... This is Obama's America.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

In the case of the Navajo code talkers ... the esoteric and rare nature of the language was the whole point, for the same reason that military messages are coded. For everyday use, in personal and business relations, talking in "code" is not very helpful.

If I immigrated to France and wanted a job there, I would expect to be required to speak French. While tourism has made many European countries see the value of speaking English since many tourists might not speak French fluently enough, it has been an accommodation needed for an economic reason ... capitalism at work on that score. If speaking English is good for their business, they speak English. Makes some sense.

In PA, it became law some years back that each HS graduate has to have working knowledge of a foreign language. Not sure how well that is being enforced. I think it's an excellent idea. I took languages in HS and college and don't regret it.

One thing learned from my immigrant household ... if you don't use a language you will lose fluency in it. By the time my mother was elderly, even she couldn't speak Italian very much. Since she had no one to speak to in Italian, even she lost her fluency, despite being fluent in Italian until at least her 60s. By her 80s she had lost it.

Seems that would be the issue we have now ... if the youngsters become fluent in English, their elders will pick up more English as well. Most of Canada is not terribly happy with Quebec having inflicted two official languages on them.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    As the article says... This is Obama's America.
    Yep, and boy does it suck.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

Borders, Language, Culture.....where is the 'Great Melting Pot' that was the USA?

"IT" was a myth. That is why they always closed the immigration doors for about two generations (40 years) in order for the second generation to become Americanized. Using G. Clinchy's example of Italian but there are lobby groups in America who want to keep their "separateness" alive for political, economic, religious and other reasons..Cubans , Jews, Irish, Iranians (Persians), maybe some Muslims , Indians (Hindi, Punjabi, etc.), African Americans (some) and Hispanic (whatever that means since it is a language distinction that some have made into race/ethnicity). The sad reality is unless Americans work at learning other languages, it is work, we will be at a political/economic disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    My niece Candace is a full blooded Navajo
    Wouldn't that require that you also be "full blooded Navajo"?

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Wouldn't that require that you also be "full blooded Navajo"?
    No, my brother and his wife who live in Durango Co adopted Candace when her paternal grandmother was not able to take care of her...She legally carries our family last name and she will always be my niece, and I am proud to be her uncle
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    "IT" was a myth. That is why they always closed the immigration doors for about two generations (40 years) in order for the second generation to become Americanized. Using G. Clinchy's example of Italian but there are lobby groups in America who want to keep their "separateness" alive for political, economic, religious and other reasons..Cubans , Jews, Irish, Iranians (Persians), maybe some Muslims , Indians (Hindi, Punjabi, etc.), African Americans (some) and Hispanic (whatever that means since it is a language distinction that some have made into race/ethnicity). The sad reality is unless Americans work at learning other languages, it is work, we will be at a political/economic disadvantage.
    I do not agree that it was a myth, it was an expectation a promise a visionary goal, that all who come here could become part of the American Dream! Like most visions it may never be fully attained, but everyone wanted to be part of it to help form this country, the price was learning the language, work hard, assimilate into the culture! Many still do who come into our country with this dream. But the entry fee now is free...so the vision may become as you say a myth!

The new American Dream... Welfare... free ride, take advantage of as many programs you can... it's all there for you once you sneak in..
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.