The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum size for outdoor dog run

Default Minimum size for outdoor dog run

Is there a rule of thumb? I have two Labs that each need a run. I am wanting a safe place to stash the dogs when either I need them out of the way or no one is home to watch them. My yard is tiny, I'm wondering how small I can go for each.

I am planning to keep snow and rain out (and my fence jumper in) with a cover and adding something to the walls to ensure shade. I have K-9 condos that will go in each.

I called SL Animal control and sifted through city animal ordinances and got nowhere.

Advice?

Also, besides concrete, what kind of "flooring" options are there? I expect them to air elsewhere. A few years ago we got a 10'X6' chain link el cheapo run from Lowes that we merely placed on the lawn, but my dog started digging holes around it so I quit using it for the dogs.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mitty; 07-03-2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: fixed grammar
    Renee P

Mine are covered roof, with concrete floors on 2 and untreated, one wood decking on a treated wood under frame.
    3 outside kennels: 2 are 5' square, one is 5x10 feet square.
    They are for temporary holding only so size is not an issue.
    I like the wood deck idea. It's still somewhat portable and about the right size for us at 5'x10'

bigboykennel.jpg
    Don

Don, I like the decking idea for the floor. Looks more comfortable for the dogs than concrete, especially in the heat we get here.
    Renee P

Mine stays in a 10'x10' run on a wood deck during the day. I have a dog house and a kids pool in it for her. I haven't built a roof on it yet so I have a tarp that shades the whole run.

mine are 5'x10' with some space on inside of barn too like 4'x4'... If the dog is out often and used/exercised Pen should just be a sleeping spot
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

mine are 5' x 10'
    Bobby Baldwin
    Troy Creek Retrievers
    Fredericksburg, VA
    troycreek1@gmail.com
    540-273-1539
    www.troycreekchesapeakes.com

My suggestion, 5x10 portable chain link from a good local fence company.
    On the flooring I'm very partial to concrete, I build houses for a living in a very humid and hot climate so I favor concrete. I've tried wood flooring in kennels, but I've always had more problems with wood, i.e. rot or a concern of bacteria, plus concrete is so much easier to clean. If you properly shade the roof and a partial side of the run then sun should not be a problem with concrete. You can air the dog all you want, it's still gonna go in the run somewhere, from my experience smart dogs will pick a corner while some will skate in you know what. The good thing about portable chain link is you can always add three more sides for another dog. JMHO.

Much thanks, all. Your comments and ideas have helped me think about my needs and space restrictions differently.

I am now thinking that I just need to add flooring to my existing chain link dog run for my digger/fence jumper (it's really the cats' fault), and a familiar shelter area for my blind dog.

I think I can put a redwood deck under my 6' X 10' chain link dog run, which has a good roof, for about $300 in materials. I might have to hire it done, though.

My other dog is now blind. Last summer we fenced off a nice area of the yard for her. But now that it has gotten brutally hot, she seems to struggle figuring out where the shade is, so I was thinking that confining her to a dog run was the answer. Now I am thinking that maybe all she needs is a shelter along the fence, in an area that she used to use to snooze, back when she could see.

I haven't priced having a concrete slab poured, but that just seems so permanent...
    Renee P

What do y'all use for water dishes to keep the water melted in the winter, and cool in the summer? The water in the metal buckets I have strapped to the sides freezes too fast in the winter, and gets almost hot in the summer.

I have a heated dog bowl that sits on the ground but I'm pretty sure the dog will play with it if I put it in the dog run.

Thanks!
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    Mine are covered roof, with concrete floors on 2 and untreated, one wood decking on a treated wood under frame.
    3 outside kennels: 2 are 5' square, one is 5x10 feet square.
    They are for temporary holding only so size is not an issue.
    I like the wood deck idea. It's still somewhat portable and about the right size for us at 5'x10'
    bigboykennel.jpg
    Don
    Don I like your set up. But I can't see in the picture what your using for the roofing support?
    Muck Madness Retrievers
    Mark Berger
    Chittenango, NY

Emerald City Reba, SH
    Emerald City Rosie SH
    Muck Madness Hurricane SH ... "Cane"
    Muck Madness Bailey's Irish Cream ... Bailey

www.muckmadnessretrievers.com

"How you do anything is how you will do everything".