The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What book is now concidered "the bible" of training

Default What book is now concidered "the bible" of training

Didn't want to hijack the other thread. It was stated that James Free's book was "the bible" of its day. What is considered todays version? Going on vacation in a cpl weeks. need some good reading material.

BB, times have changed a bit since then. Back in 79 I got my first retriever and immediately headed over to the library. Back then every well rounded person possessed a library card, today I'll bet less than 10% of us have library cards. I went home with JLF's book along with the first Richard Wolters book, Water Dog. My next dog came in 91, I went to a local book store and brought Wolter's Game Dog home along with the classic Tom Quinn book The Working Retriever.Today we have the internet, RTF, lots of good programs on DVD and Dennis Voights wonderfull monthly "Retrievers Online".

Ditto Retrievers Online. Each month is an eclectic mix of retriever-related articles many, many of which are about training. (I like having the magazine in my hand. Please Mr. Voigt... don't let it ever go "on-line"!!!)

I don't know what the Retriever Training Bible is... but I'm guessing the top 3 programatic training systems (DVD and print material combo's) are
    1. Smartworks (Evan Graham)
    2. Lardy's Total Retriever Training
    3. Hillman's Training the Retriever Puppy (but he's advanced into young dogs and drills.)

Hillman's seems the most unique of the 3. But, heck... dogs are dogs and there is a lot of agreement and overlapping amongst people who train them. I think it would be interesting for contributors here to rank order them on the "inerrancy scale"... but I'm not brave enough. Don't want my fingers slapped.

There are other programs that seem to me more specifically designed for hunters and I can't speak to them

Quote Originally Posted by baseball28 View Post
    Didn't want to hijack the other thread. It was stated that James Free's book was "the bible" of its day. What is considered todays version? Going on vacation in a cpl weeks. need some good reading material.
    to put it in the right perspective the JLF book might have been "the" definitive by default..then came DL and Ann's book Charles Morgan on Retrievers, then and maybe not in chronological order,the Wolters books, Tom Quinn's book and of course the Tri Tronics book by Jim Dobbs and Alice Woodyard

Nowadays with the advent of the visual book/series the standards may be the Lardy TRT Series, the Graham Smartworks series, and the Fowl Dog Series by Stawski

asking which Bible is used is like asking which "church of training' one adheres to...those training series may be followed by those on the internet, but for those that follow the advice of their Pro of choice, more than likely that pro has their own "bible of training" and probably would not admit to using any of the previous mentioned mediums...BUT they might want you to buy their version or DVD series
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Stan b & Elvis

Since we apparently live in the "show and tell" world where few people read in depth the nuggets learned from reading are often not learned. I have over 100 books , some are antiquarian (100 year old plus) mostly in English , some in French a few in German. A lot of authors "stole" to put it nicely from others w/o attribution and others provided unique (new) insights. The world does not revolve only upon EE training but other issues as well. Of course, it depends what you are training and learning "for." All the aforementioned books are good, my suggestion is get a bunch from different time periods and read to learn.

For written material that's current:

I would strongly suggest you order the Mike Lardy volumes of reprints from YBS media.

http://ybsmedia.com/index.php/shop/p...rdy-volume-1-4

I personally feel these are some of the best values for reading material overviewing a training program, in existence today.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

With the advent of the E-collar there are now more Gods... or Prophets so to speak.. kind of like the old testament vs the new testament.

I've got a friend that still thinks the e-collar is a torture devise used by cruel dog owners... Myself I go to the church of Lardy and Hillmann .. both have something to offer on training your retriever.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

I think the best book or program is called "School of Hard Knocks".written by a guy called hands on experience.....seems to stay with me......
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    I think the best book or program is called "School of Hard Knocks".written by a guy called hands on experience.....seems to stay with me......
    The originator of the topic mentions a vacation coming up. He/She is seeking some reading material.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"