The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: New vocabulary word...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,324

    Default New vocabulary word...

    Please explain what is meant by the term "a literal cast".

  2. #2
    Senior Member EdA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Please explain what is meant by the term "a literal cast".
    A cast which if precisely taken will take you to the desired destination, usually a straight up back but could be an angle back but almost never an over.
    Last edited by EdA; 07-03-2014 at 08:36 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ted Shih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Golden, Colorado
    Posts
    5,002

    Default

    Imagine a hard water blind. Hard wind blowing left to right - towards dirt. Dog is on tall but thin point. If the dog goes off the point and remains precisely on line it is out of sight for 5 seconds. All of the dogs that have gone out of sight reappear on the right shoreline, where they refuse to go back in the water and are therefore, out of the field trial. Only a handful of the dogs whose handlers gave an left over cast off the point, were able to make it to the end of the blind.

    You and your dog are up.

    Your dog is on the point.

    If you give a straight left back - and your dog takes it and holds it - the dog will be directly on line to the bird, but out of sight for a few critical seconds. This is - as Ed said - the literal cast. And in this scenario, the last cast you want to give.

    If you give a left over, and your dog takes it and gets in the water, you can see if the dog is fading with the wind to the shoreline and take responsive measures. This is the survival cast.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

    Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

    www.freeridinretrievers.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jeff Brezee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SE MN
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    Imagine a hard water blind. Hard wind blowing left to right - towards dirt. Dog is on tall but thin point. If the dog goes off the point and remains precisely on line it is out of sight for 5 seconds. All of the dogs that have gone out of sight reappear on the right shoreline, where they refuse to go back in the water and are therefore, out of the field trial. Only a handful of the dogs whose handlers gave an left over cast off the point, were able to make it to the end of the blind.

    You and your dog are up.

    Your dog is on the point.

    If you give a straight left back - and your dog takes it and holds it - the dog will be directly on line to the bird, but out of sight for a few critical seconds. This is - as Ed said - the literal cast. And in this scenario, the last cast you want to give.

    If you give a left over, and your dog takes it and gets in the water, you can see if the dog is fading with the wind to the shoreline and take responsive measures. This is the survival cast.
    Very nice explanation Ted.
    Jeff Brezee

    HR MHR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear MH "Bear"
    HR Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code SH "Jasmine"

  5. #5
    Senior Member EdA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,973

    Default

    Literal casting is a training term not a competition term, do not confuse one with the other.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    790

    Default

    In the situation ted describes wouldn't a left angle back be the "momentum" cast. Where you give it expecting him to fade with the wind and compensating for it. These are the trial casts I believe

  7. #7
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    5,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    In the situation ted describes wouldn't a left angle back be the "momentum" cast. Where you give it expecting him to fade with the wind and compensating for it. These are the trial casts I believe
    At which angle? Whatever the angle is from the sitting dog to the fall, relative to where YOU are is the literal angle, and so - the literal cast. The term "angle back" is vague and subjective.

    Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

    “People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

    ― George Bernard Shaw


    The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,417

    Default

    Hey Ted, ED, and Ev,
    does anyone ever do the both arms so up they touch your ears hard voice "Back" anymore? The "Superman" cast? First time I seen it I asked what direction the handler expected the dog to spin. And the reply was "I don't care, I just want um to dig straight back, HARD!"
    is it a thing of the past?
    You guys have seen it yes??
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  9. #9
    Senior Member Todd Caswell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brainerd, MN
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Hey Ted, ED, and Ev,
    does anyone ever do the both arms so up they touch your ears hard voice "Back" anymore? The "Superman" cast? First time I seen it I asked what direction the handler expected the dog to spin. And the reply was "I don't care, I just want um to dig straight back, HARD!"
    is it a thing of the past?
    You guys have seen it yes??
    Seen it last weekend in training, dog got on point, didn't get back in water with literal left hand cast, " No you get in here for 10 yards" whistle, hands at the hips and a booming back, dog got in where it was supposed to the first time, guessing the dog had been down this road befor and understood the " correction"

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Benton, AR
    Posts
    790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    At which angle? Whatever the angle is from the sitting dog to the fall, relative to where YOU are is the literal angle, and so - the literal cast. The term "angle back" is vague and subjective.

    Evan
    I did say left angle back in my post. If a left back is literal and left over is survival (based on teds description bird is relatively straight back on left side of dog) a left angle back would be momentum in that it would take the angle into the water deep enough so you could see him and not give the opportunity to beach early and drifting with the wind towards the shore on the right it would put you where you hoped a left back would of?

    Or if he takes the angle too deep and gets out of the blind window stop him and at least he's in the water and out of the opportunity to beach and you could then give a right back or right angle back (depending on dogs relation to the blind at this point)

    Or is survival and momentum the same in this instance?
    Last edited by blake_mhoona; 07-03-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •