The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated casting

Default Dedicated casting

How many of you do dedicated casting as part of your TT?.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlygold View Post
    How many of you do dedicated casting as part of your TT?.

Dawn
    I'm not familiar with that exact term. Is that like disciplined casting, or definitive casting, or something else?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I'm not familiar with that exact term. Is that like disciplined casting, or definitive casting, or something else?

Evan
    I'm not familiar with those exact terms. Are they like Right hand backs and left hand backs?
    Disciplined Casting?,Is that more than casting? Or just definitive?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    I'm not familiar with those exact terms. Are they like Right hand backs and left hand backs?
    Disciplined Casting?,Is that more than casting? Or just definitive?
    Disciplined casting is when you teach the dog to take casts, after it has made the retrieve. So the dog is on the way back with the bird, you stop it and cast it to and fro.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Disciplined casting is when you teach the dog to take casts, after it has made the retrieve. So the dog is on the way back with the bird, you stop it and cast it to and fro.
    ?
    So , Please bear with me 'folks' The dog has got the bird and on it's way back to the handler with the bird , and You ''cast it to and fro'' ? ..?

I don't. I used to thinking that it would reduce the amount of time and confusion on swim by but it doesn't therefore I no longer see any real benefit to it.

In 70's I recall handling on return while on T work to help prep. We called it "Run-by". Like Tony, I saw little evidence of lasting benefits, and surely not enough to make it worthy of my time. I saw logic and immediate benefits from Carr's swim-by, so I've finished TT and moved directly to swim-by ever since.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

very often we "drill" into dogs to come back as soon and as straight as they are able.
    very helpfull in tests and trials.
    But...
    in the real world of hunting, being able to cast your dog away from danger after it has the bird is a good thing.
    it is a step many skip these days, but if done in front of swim by it makes that task easy and gives you a tool in your dogs tool box that may save its life one day. A dog that only knows "come back now" will have a hard time being handled away from barbed wire, other duck blinds, swift water in rivers, and such.
    it is a very good thing.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Dogs are weird.
    You can teach them to take a perfect over on the T or TT, both going and coming.
    But, in the field, on a real cold blind, they won't do it. It doesn't translate.

Especially when returning.

However, something really odd that they've never been trained to do, will get the dog to take a perfect cast.

You can put your arm up like you're giving an angle back, blow a tweet-tweet, and the dog will take it as an angle in. Or, you can say BACK, and the returning dog will take a perfect over.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    very often we "drill" into dogs to come back as soon and as straight as they are able.
    very helpfull in tests and trials.
    But...
    in the real world of hunting, being able to cast your dog away from danger after it has the bird is a good thing.
    it is a step many skip these days, but if done in front of swim by it makes that task easy and gives you a tool in your dogs tool box that may save its life one day. A dog that only knows "come back now" will have a hard time being handled away from barbed wire, other duck blinds, swift water in rivers, and such.
    it is a very good thing.
    Ahhh! Gotcha ,Thanks