The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Quebec bans E-collars?

Default Quebec bans E-collars?

Dennis Voigt alerts the retriever community to a stealth law passed in Quebec that bans any collar that "obstruct[s] breathing or cause[s] pain". It was, apparently a little section stuck in a larger law. (I guess Canadians have to pass the laws before they can determine what's in them... rather like we do it in the US.) He points out that e-collars are still sold (since sales were not banned) and used in dog training (like by police departments) in the province. The concern he raises is that it only takes one enforcement of the "ban" to take a dog trainer into court to establish "case law".

I have a question for Canadians... this would seem to be a non-partisan issue. Could a "clarification" permitting e-collars be slipped into some other bill as an amendment, i.e., can you fix this legislatively? Or are you basically forced to hold your breath waiting for a case to go to court and hope your side prevails?

Dennis Voigt ends the piece by asking

"Are you prepared in your jurisdiction, for this threat to the use of e-collars and other training devices? Can you effectively argue against the use of positive-only methods? Will you know when similar legislation is passed?

"Let's be prepared for such eventualities and be aware of similar efforts to ban e-collars. Learn how to use these tools effectively and humanely and be prepared to demonstrate that to non-dog trainers."

He's asking a lot. I think we all have gotten stupid arguments from stupid people about e-collars and cruelty. I'm not sure how to go about making people understand. I could say they should go to a HT or FT and watch how the dogs cringe (NOT!)... actually how the dogs run with incredible enthusiasm, even joy. I just don't know how to educate people who don't want to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Dennis Voigt alerts the retriever community to a stealth law passed in Quebec that bans any collar that "obstruct[s] breathing or cause[s] pain". It was, apparently a little section stuck in a larger law. (I guess Canadians have to pass the laws before they can determine what's in them... rather like we do it in the US.) He points out that e-collars are still sold (since sales were not banned) and used in dog training (like by police departments) in the province. The concern he raises is that it only takes one enforcement of the "ban" to take a dog trainer into court to establish "case law".

I have a question for Canadians... this would seem to be a non-partisan issue. Could a "clarification" permitting e-collars be slipped into some other bill as an amendment, i.e., can you fix this legislatively? Or are you basically forced to hold your breath waiting for a case to go to court and hope your side prevails?

Dennis Voigt ends the piece by asking

"Are you prepared in your jurisdiction, for this threat to the use of e-collars and other training devices? Can you effectively argue against the use of positive-only methods? Will you know when similar legislation is passed?

"Let's be prepared for such eventualities and be aware of similar efforts to ban e-collars. Learn how to use these tools effectively and humanely and be prepared to demonstrate that to non-dog trainers."

He's asking a lot. I think we all have gotten stupid arguments from stupid people about e-collars and cruelty. I'm not sure how to go about making people understand. I could say they should go to a HT or FT and watch how the dogs cringe (NOT!)... actually how the dogs run with incredible enthusiasm, even joy. I just don't know how to educate people who don't want to learn.
    The law has been changed from banned to not recommended. Thanks to some trainers, a lawyer, and Garmin. A new Private Members Bill has been introduced federally. We are fighting that one.
    Dennis

The ignorant ones training in the publics eye with very vocal dogs have to be educated, have to police our own ranks!
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieversONLINE View Post
    The law has been changed from banned to not recommended. Thanks to some trainers, a lawyer, and Garmin. A new Private Members Bill has been introduced federally. We are fighting that one.
    Thank you. That is very good news. The challenge to be vigilant remains, however. Will it get to the point that we need lobbyists to keep us advised of all the bills going through our legislatures?
    Last edited by 1tulip; 07-06-2014 at 03:28 PM.