The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What skill set constitutes "Transition"?

Default What skill set constitutes "Transition"?

I used to think that when the dog finished FF and began any lining exercises (pile work, T or TT...) that was when transition started. IOW a dog transitions from doing marks to doing marks and blinds.

But reading the term in context in some literature, I think that's mistaken. It seems that transition is after the dog has pretty much completed TT and yard work and is putting those basics into field work.

Can you please define the term for me?

Transition is not a skill set. It's many skill sets through which a basically-trained dog transitions toward a fully-trained state, wherein he will have all skills at all levels.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I never know where people get some of their definitions but I have said many times that we should honour originators. Mike Lardy and Andy Attar started the term Transition for the steps after Basics and before Advanced. Basics was up to DTT and Swimby. Advanced was cold blind and multiple marks. Transition is in between and is moving from yard work skills to field skills.
    Mike also was the first to distinguish fundamentally and fully trained in the literature.
    Dennis

Ah HA! Page 32 Volume 1 Training with Mike Lardy. Thank you for helping me find it.

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieversONLINE View Post
    I never know where people get some of their definitions but I have said many times that we should honour originators. Mike Lardy and Andy Attar started the term Transition for the steps after Basics and before Advanced. Basics was up to DTT and Swimby. Advanced was cold blind and multiple marks. Transition is in between and is moving from yard work skills to field skills.
    Mike also was the first to distinguish fundamentally and fully trained in the literature.
    But I think part of the problem is the lines are really fuzzy sometimes. My current dog I'd consider a transition dog, just out of the Derby, he is just starting triples, but has been doing cold blinds for a while. No way I'd consider him an advanced dog...he may be doing the work in the field, but he is still too raw to be considered advanced, he's closer to a transition dog in my opinion and my trainers. He has so many things to still learn...retired guns, short check down, out of orders, poison birds, etc, etc...yes the originators of the term may have had a strict definition when they came up with the word, but it just doesn't fit in my opinion.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

My 2 1/2 year old is what I would consider a transition dog. She has s senior title, and 1 Master pass. She runs blinds well, but struggles with some triple marking concepts.I believe she is transition because of the lack of time I can give her with quality more challenging marking set ups. Hell she could be 5 or more years old before I could say she is competent at advanced level in traing .
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 07-07-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I think for us average guys, a dog could stay in transition fir quite some time.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

Lainee knows what it means to be keeping track of how many quality blinds your dog has run, before they are " ready"

I have a long long way to go, and i run a LOT of blinds

in fact I am on my way to add a couple more to the tally!
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 07-07-2014 at 09:47 AM.

So, not trying to steal the thread, but I wanted some opinions on an idea I was thinking about. Is a transition specific trainer worth while. I guess your options are to keep the dog with the young dog trainer for a little while longer, where the dog will probably not be challenged to the level that he needs to be. Or send him to the big dog trainer, where the dog will get 3 or so days of training a week due to trial schedule, and not a program catered to the dog's needs at the current time. Or for a third option would putting the dog with a transition trainer for 4 months to a year to prepare for big dog stuff, then go pretty much straight into all age training and trialing in short time. With this third option the dog would see 5 to 6 days of training catered to dogs at the transition level. No real reason to run a trial every weekend, could run a couple here and there if you get a dog still in the derby or a owner wanting trainer to run Q's. Just an idea I've kicked around a little over time and wanted to get some opinions.
    Jonathon Lord

Lord's Playin' it

my dog just turned 1, has her shr title, finished double t and swim by and was told she has started trainsition and is doing permanent blinds this week...