The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The use of the hand on the send

Default The use of the hand on the send

I'm certain it's been discussed before but my search or my key words or something wasn't too successful. I'd appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction, or, alternatively, start a discussion here.

Here's the little bit that I know from a few mentions I've run across in other sources. It emphasizes a line. It is used to encourage the dog to drive deep and (consequently) it isn't used on a check down bird and it's a rhythm/timing thing on the release for the last bird down.

Is that it, or is there more to it?

i use if for release to keep my girl sitting until I tell her to leave. No hand no leave. It does help to give a line also. Wish it worked on the honor bucket

I personally use the hand cue as a confidence builder. Yes, in a definition it emphasizes a line, but for my uses, I primarily emphasize "Hey, there's a bird in this direction". Let's use blinds as an example... I line my dogs and let them develop a point of reference. If they lock in on a line that I'm satisfied with, I'll send them. If not I'll cue them a little with my hand til they focus on a good line. Same goes with marks. If they are locked on a mark and I can tell by their body language they have a good mark I'll send them. If not, I'll give them a quick hand cue. So generally speaking the go-bird or last bird down typically doesn't require a cue. If they return with the go bird and set up and lock on to the memory bird I'll send them without the hand cue. If they don't setup and are looking in the immediate area of fall, but not a locked-on body language I'll give a quick hand cue. It's generally a degree or two off where they are looking unless they just bomb the mark in which I handle it like a blind.

So, if my dog was to run a perfect series (in my eyes) theoretically I wouldn't use the hand cue.
    Last edited by Rusty Champion; 07-07-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    Rusty Champion

A Southern Night's Miller Light ~ Miller
    Abbey Creek's Southern Comfort ~ Abbey

God Bless & War Eagle

To me the hand is just a YES cue. That's what I want, get ready to go.

Keith

I use hand after I say GOOD and dog is locked on the mark I want him to get as a release with name. If I am cueing a checkdown, short bird or a send after a diversion where the bird is short I use a no hand soft verbal name send but without the hand cue. If I am cueing for a long bird I say "WAY BACK" with a loud verbal hand down send. Just what I use and seems to work in communicating with my dogs. For my dogs it helps them lock and load on where I want them to go and give my permission to launch!
    Danielle Wilson

BLF, Bella Luna-tic, QAA, NA. NAJ, RN, MH
    BLM, SHR Steelshot's Just Happy To Be, WC, JH
    BLM, HRCH Danielle's Classic Triple D, MH, WCX, WC
    GM HR Tidewater's Fire Quacker, WC, RN, MH
    BLF Luna-Tic's Littlest Gem, SH. QA2

www.thunderequipment.com

Your uses are consistent with what I've been taught by some very accomplished dog people.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    I'm certain it's been discussed before but my search or my key words or something wasn't too successful. I'd appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction, or, alternatively, start a discussion here.

Here's the little bit that I know from a few mentions I've run across in other sources. It emphasizes a line. It is used to encourage the dog to drive deep and (consequently) it isn't used on a check down bird and it's a rhythm/timing thing on the release for the last bird down.

Is that it, or is there more to it?
    It is superfluous on a mark that the dog has identified .
    You can send a dog on the Foot if that's what floats your boat .
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    It is superfluous on a mark that the dog has identified .
    You can send a dog on the Foot if that's what floats your boat .

Maybe, maybe not. The best trainers I know use it as a steadiness tool on the go bird. I think the dog generally has "identified" that mark. I use it on go birds, longer punch type birds and birds where factors might make it difficult to maintain a line.

Op great question with lots of different answers coming! Some very good folks only use the hand on occasion; some very good folks use the hand every time.
    Be thoughtful
    Dk

I think it all goes back to how you train. If you do it every training session on every bird as a cue "good" or "that's right" then always use it. If you use it to emphasize a line on occasion then do it that way. In this case we all can be right based on how we train and use the cue.