The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Training Schedules

Default Training Schedules

I know the topic of programs has been beaten to a pulp but even when following a program very little is written about training schedules. I am aware that most of us are limited on time and or finances or even training grounds.

My question is , if you have the available time and the grounds, and the DOG how often would you or do you train.

I've heard that several top pros have had seminars on this very subject but I've never had the opportunity to attend one. World class athletes follow strict work out schedules as to not over work their minds and or their bodies.

How would you or how do you alternate yard work or drills with field work?
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

I train 5-6 days per week. Sunday's are mental health days.
    I try to keep marks going along with drills but not always. Sometimes the heat in summer prevents
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I train like Wayne 5-6 days and give one off. If it is my pup 8m I try to do two short sessions a day if possible in this humid weather.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

I try to train 5 or 6 days per week depending upon work demands. I will usually do yard stuff every AM and then if possible, marking drills 2 or 3 times per week. I am a self-employed CPA, so work sometimes has to trump training.

I train 5-6 days a week as well. I usually add in 5 min of something different than what im currently training for. That being something we have already trained just refreshing. Like tightening OB, a land triple, water mark thats easy to cheat or a diversion. I always train in the evening and get in a couple shorts sessions in the morning a couple times a week.

I am currently reading a book called : Run Less Run Faster, and its convinced me that I dont need to be OCD when it comes to working out in the gym and feeling guilty about missing a day...the body does need to recuperate, as do our dogs

I know that some trainers are OCD about training and if they arent on the road headed to the next event they are training, whereas other pros I have thrown birds for actually make it a point to take days off...

I think it also has to do with time management and what you do work on. The old adage that Lombardi penned ".. practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect " could apply to many...Some people need to train endlessly, and some gifted athletes can fall out of bed,show up and still beat you...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Train two off one train two off one and so on due too I work 24/48 hr shifts

I try to do something nearly everyday, as long as its not ridiculous hot. Even if it just a 10 minute ob session. Usually do 2-3 days a week of field work, 2-3 days of yard work/drills (to fix any issues we see in field work), and ob whatever days are left. It's so hot now that we just have to take some days off. On those days we go for a long walk around our property after dark.

Check out Bobby George ' s Facebook page. He usually outlines his training schedule for each week.