The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whelping/puppy room design and construction

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

The other nice thing about having an "extra" whelping box/area is that it makes clean up easier- just transfer litter to other area while you clean up the first. Depending on door location, you can either do one on each end or two down one side on each end. The box should be a minimum of 4 ft on one side. That would leave you with a 3 ft walkway if you went with the side wall option. if going with the end wall option, have a 1 ft. high divider in place to make the whelping area smaller for the first 2- 2 1/2 wks. Once the pups get mobile, open it up for a potty area before letting them go outside (assuming that there will be doggy doors to outside area). They should be fine with access to outside by around 4 - 4 1/2 weeks depending on the weather and as long as they are navigating the door easily.
    Along with a sink, you will want a bench with storage underneath for crates, buckets, and other whelping supplies, as well as food. I would carpet a portion of the bench/table for stacking/evaluating the pups, giving meds, trimming nails, exams, grooming, photos, etc… You will want to be able to throughly clean so something very "clean" without a lot of ridges or bumps as far as walls and floors. Keep all electrical outlets at least four ft high, I would actually put mine in the ceiling. Ceiling fans would be good.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

I use a Durawhelp for my whelping room. When they're weaned I transfer them into two of these put together. http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Pet-.../dp/B00176II1Y

Once they get old enough and tottering about, a lot of breeders are using something like this http://www.avidog.com/oh-what-fun-av...adventure-box/ so the puppies get used to noise and odd things. If you're handy, you could easily build something similar.

I have two of these http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1irNLc8sYN...0/P1015956.JPG that I have out on my deck for my puppies to use. They've been discontinued and are now worth their weight in gold, but sometimes you can find them at garage sales. I have several little kid toys that the puppies can crawl over, under and through. My puppies are fearless. You could easily add a few of these things to your puppy room for them to play in.

http://youtu.be/QvdLnVtqqDk

http://youtu.be/tTxSUiugBPE

http://youtu.be/bCH_m-VIQOg
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

Here ya go Brad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Thanks for the pics David. Keep the ideas coming, my wheels are turning!

Stainless metal shelving and cart that can be easily rolled around for thorough cleaning. I am a true believer in having a whelping box constructed of something nonporous. You just can't really clean something that absorbs the germs. Mine is made of PVC. I'll go take a photo of the baseboards on the back side of the kennel. You just raise them up and hose everything out the back when sanitizing the floors. Entire unit made of hardi plank and treated wood. Deck has concrete slab on all but a 2' section running the length of the outside fence line. I grow grass here so pups learn to go potty on the ground. Also 2 doors going outside onto deck (so if divided in half for 2 litters each has a door) Each door has a doggy door that pups quickly learn to use following mom in and out. Deck has ceiling fan with light kit...highly recommend you having a light out there. I also have a phone land line & an Amish fireplace for winter.
    Come on by the house, Brad. You can help me tend to all these chocolate pups!

Some more pics

Birthplace to:
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

The sliding baseboards and airing porch.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 07-08-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Birthplace to:
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

I have a dry erase board on one wall to jot down daily info...times each pup is born, weights, time meds are given, last feeding, or whatever is important at the time. You get the idea.

The actual whelping box that we have used at Gator Point for years is actually a raised box, 12 inches high, mounted on a table waist high, that has a ramp on one end for the female (Cleo always objected to them being called bitches) to get into and out of the box (for bladder breaks etc.) The legs are 3/4 inch steel pipe and the table top has linoleum covering for easy cleaning. Then we had some rug material that is covered with some toweling material----all going in the washing machine when needed. After an all night whelping is complete we place the pups in a 10 foot by 12 foot puppy room that has a dog door going out to a small exercise area that the pups learn to use very quickly. There are two rooms like this. We had 3 litters at the same time once and we have tried to avoid this in the future, just too much of a good thing. There is also a litter box in each room, by the way until the pups are about 3 to 4 weeks old.

The exercise area has washed gravel base about 6 inches deep which is scooped of solids and Cloroxed daily. One of the areas has a plastic kids toy platform that the pups can learn to go up and down steps, play "King of the Hill" and otherwise increase their knowlege of the new, big world. It's been fun, Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Thought you all might like to see a couple of pics of Scotty's "Box of Chocolates".

Scotty really knows how to raise and socialize her pups. She is also extremely good at keeping her mama mentally and physically healthy.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 07-08-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Birthplace to:
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!