The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whelping/puppy room design and construction

Once the pups are freely getting in and out of the whelping box, I put small dog crates in the whelping house. I remove the doors so the pups can go in and out at will. They soon learn that a crate is a safe quiet place to be left alone. Really helps tremendously in preparing them for actual crate training. An added plus for those pups that are going to be shipped. They are already comfortable and secure about being in a crate. So many little things go into preparing them for lifes experiences. The kids play room toys with steps in an excellent idea that I will add to the deck area.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Maddox View Post
    Stainless metal shelving and cart that can be easily rolled around for thorough cleaning. I am a true believer in having a whelping box constructed of something nonporous. You just can't really clean something that absorbs the germs. Mine is made of PVC. I'll go take a photo of the baseboards on the back side of the kennel. You just raise them up and hose everything out the back when sanitizing the floors. Entire unit made of hardi plank and treated wood. Deck has concrete slab on all but a 2' section running the length of the outside fence line. I grow grass here so pups learn to go potty on the ground. Also 2 doors going outside onto deck (so if divided in half for 2 litters each has a door) Each door has a doggy door that pups quickly learn to use following mom in and out. Deck has ceiling fan with light kit...highly recommend you having a light out there. I also have a phone land line & an Amish fireplace for winter.
    Come on by the house, Brad. You can help me tend to all these chocolate pups!
    You obviously have a great system going! I'll give you a call maybe one day next week. This week is filling up fast for me. If nothing else I want to see those pups!!

I would love to have a seperate room with a cot to whelp litters. My house is too small so we whelp in the bedroom in a Durawhelp. At about 3 weeks or at eye opening they move to a large pen in my dining room. When the weather is good, they go outside. I'm putting in another dog door in my last kennel in the basement. This will open to a 10 X 20 gravel/grass run. This is where they will go in the future, when we are gone during the day. This way they at least have outside access. I'll transfer all the outside stuff you see in the video there.

I don't use newspapers for whelping. I hate them as I think they just get slimy and no absorption. I use these multi layer pads and LOVE them! I have multiples and replace/wash during whelping. They stay in the box with the pups for the first week while mom is still bleeding. I use the Multi layer 34 X 46 high absorption pads.

http://www.ezwhelp.com/BuyNewWhelpingPads.htm

All are litter box trained and it's GREAT!!! Housetraining is a non issue any more for owners.

For whatever reason, last litter, Bree preferred having a 'den'. She was restless and after I put the blanket up, settled down...

Bree den.jpg

Puppy 'area' inside:

Bree Siggy Play Pen 2013 small.jpg

Video of outside play area:

Though it looks like a lot, my pups are bomb proof going to their new homes. In my last litter a pup went to a girl with muscular dystrophy and is confined to a motorized wheel chair. She is training him to do service work for her and is training him to compete in AKC obedience with her. Right now she is competing with a friends dog. It is very gratifying. I have one or maybe two going to a service dog group this time too.

Sue Puff
    Last edited by suepuff; 07-09-2014 at 06:07 AM. Reason: not finished...
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

thanks for the links and the really cute video. (love the spinning wheel in the house shot)

Sue,
    That video is awesome!!! What a concept.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    I would love to have a seperate room with a cot to whelp litters. My house is too small so we whelp in the bedroom in a Durawhelp. At about 3 weeks or at eye opening they move to a large pen in my dining room. When the weather is good, they go outside. I'm putting in another dog door in my last kennel in the basement. This will open to a 10 X 20 gravel/grass run. This is where they will go in the future, when we are gone during the day. This way they at least have outside access. I'll transfer all the outside stuff you see in the video there.

I don't use newspapers for whelping. I hate them as I think they just get slimy and no absorption. I use these multi layer pads and LOVE them! I have multiples and replace/wash during whelping. They stay in the box with the pups for the first week while mom is still bleeding. I use the Multi layer 34 X 46 high absorption pads.

http://www.ezwhelp.com/BuyNewWhelpingPads.htm

All are litter box trained and it's GREAT!!! Housetraining is a non issue any more for owners.

For whatever reason, last litter, Bree preferred having a 'den'. She was restless and after I put the blanket up, settled down...

Bree den.jpg

Puppy 'area' inside:

Video of outside play area:

Though it looks like a lot, my pups are bomb proof going to their new homes. In my last litter a pup went to a girl with muscular dystrophy and is confined to a motorized wheel chair. She is training him to do service work for her and is training him to compete in AKC obedience with her. Right now she is competing with a friends dog. It is very gratifying. I have one or maybe two going to a service dog group this time too.

Sue Puff
    Can you expand on how and when you do the litter box training?

Thanks Sue. I do a lot of similiar type exposure. I've had pups go to detector homes and they are as well prepared as yours. Sure pays off to do some odd ball exposure that most don't think of.

Charles..... Mine are given free use of a pan filled with wood pellets and/or paper pellets that they can use for a potty. Amazing how fast they pick it up on their own. It's not 100% but does save on clean up time to some degree.

I LOVE THE LITTER BOX!!! I don't know why I didn't do this years ago. Even if I had the pups in a kennel with outdoor access, I'd still use this as it really teaches them about going in one spot. After the first week, no stray poop all over the place and no more newspaper. Yuck! I hate newsprint.

Currently I use a large rabbit pan from tractor supply, plastic. (Depending on the litter size as to how many, but I need at least 1 big one).

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...n?cm_vc=-10005

I have been using horse stall pine pellets, also from tractor supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...-bedding-40-lb

Laura (Kelrobin) on this forum used Yesterdays News and it seems to be less dusty. I am trying that this time.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002TIJB6/...=IZ7QWTAPE753P

You need some pee pads. I use the human variety. Cheaper then puppy variety. Usually a 2 X 2 square.

Here's how it works:

Just when their eyes start to open I put a couple of pee pads in the whelping box. Mom is still cleaning them at this point, but not all. You get some pee on the pads. You use that as scent. You can see the pee pad on top of the fleece and bed liners in the box here:

Litter pee pad whelping.jpg

When eyes are all the way open and they are toddling, they get moved to the big pen and the litter box goes in with a pee pad on top. See next picture with big sister Ziva playing with her half sibs. The white pad on the right is the hospital bed liner. I put that in there too (it was in the whelping box with the fleece), near the box, to draw them in that direction. The key is...right after they eat (nursing only at this time), I put them right in the litter box. As often as I can. Obviously, you can't get them there every time and mom is still cleaning. Notice the litter is not pine pellets in this pic. I tried other types of bedding...the Care Fresh stuff for hamsters DOES NOT work. It goes all over the place!

Litter pee pad pen.jpg

Next, you get pictures like this from your husband when you are traveling for work because he is thrilled when he got home and saw NO poop in the pen! Yes, he did text this to me! They are starting to eat now and mom is not cleaning up after them. During this time, you may see poop over the side of the box as they couldn't make it. You may occasionally have a poop elsewhere.

Litter pee pad poop.jpg

Last two pics, close up, litter box in upper right, no pee pads after a day or two. I pick the tray out with a kitty litter scoop whenever I see poop. Thte last picture, a repeat, shows the whole pen. My guys have a ways to go from one end of the pen to the box, they learn quickly that they like to play and sleep in a clean area and poop in the box.

Litter box.jpg

There may be easier ways, but this works for me. Housetraining is a snap. All the puppies go home and within a day or two get the picture, other than the occasional accident. The pups are 8 weeks roughly, no less, sometimes 9 weeks if someone can't pick up, when they go home.

We may be nuts...but we love our pups! I went this route because I travel extensively for work. I have to make things easy for my husband and house sitter when I'm gone.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    I LOVE THE LITTER BOX!!! I don't know why I didn't do this years ago. Even if I had the pups in a kennel with outdoor access, I'd still use this as it really teaches them about going in one spot. After the first week, no stray poop all over the place and no more newspaper. Yuck! I hate newsprint.

Currently I use a large rabbit pan from tractor supply, plastic. (Depending on the litter size as to how many, but I need at least 1 big one).

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...n?cm_vc=-10005

I have been using horse stall pine pellets, also from tractor supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...-bedding-40-lb

Laura (Kelrobin) on this forum used Yesterdays News and it seems to be less dusty. I am trying that this time.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002TIJB6/...=IZ7QWTAPE753P

You need some pee pads. I use the human variety. Cheaper then puppy variety. Usually a 2 X 2 square.

Here's how it works:

Just when their eyes start to open I put a couple of pee pads in the whelping box. Mom is still cleaning them at this point, but not all. You get some pee on the pads. You use that as scent. You can see the pee pad on top of the fleece and bed liners in the box here:

Litter pee pad whelping.jpg

When eyes are all the way open and they are toddling, they get moved to the big pen and the litter box goes in with a pee pad on top. See next picture with big sister Ziva playing with her half sibs. The white pad on the right is the hospital bed liner. I put that in there too (it was in the whelping box with the fleece), near the box, to draw them in that direction. The key is...right after they eat (nursing only at this time), I put them right in the litter box. As often as I can. Obviously, you can't get them there every time and mom is still cleaning. Notice the litter is not pine pellets in this pic. I tried other types of bedding...the Care Fresh stuff for hamsters DOES NOT work. It goes all over the place!

Litter pee pad pen.jpg

Next, you get pictures like this from your husband when you are traveling for work because he is thrilled when he got home and saw NO poop in the pen! Yes, he did text this to me! They are starting to eat now and mom is not cleaning up after them. During this time, you may see poop over the side of the box as they couldn't make it. You may occasionally have a poop elsewhere.

Litter pee pad poop.jpg

Last two pics, close up, litter box in upper right, no pee pads after a day or two. I pick the tray out with a kitty litter scoop whenever I see poop. Thte last picture, a repeat, shows the whole pen. My guys have a ways to go from one end of the pen to the box, they learn quickly that they like to play and sleep in a clean area and poop in the box.

Litter box.jpg

There may be easier ways, but this works for me. Housetraining is a snap. All the puppies go home and within a day or two get the picture, other than the occasional accident. The pups are 8 weeks roughly, no less, sometimes 9 weeks if someone can't pick up, when they go home.

We may be nuts...but we love our pups! I went this route because I travel extensively for work. I have to make things easy for my husband and house sitter when I'm gone.

Sue Puff
    Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I've seen people reference the pine pellets, but have never seen described in detail. Thanks again.

Some really great ideas all. Thank you for sharing, I'm in the process of whelping two litters right now and going to incorporate a lot of ideas from this thread into their early training. Just need to find some of those cool toys. Hope the old wallet can cover the stuff.
    Last edited by fishin444; 07-10-2014 at 01:01 AM.