The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White coats

Default White coats

So the recent thread about use of the hand for sends got me to thinking- dangerous and rarely done!
    When and why did we start using white coats. Early photos dont indicate their use.
    Anybody know
    Dk

As the game and training evolved, marks and blinds were starting to stretch out, and as dogs are basically color blind seeing clearly in black and white were probably having problems seeing the marks and handlers as well. I would like to know who came up with the idea, it certainly changed the game. Guy

dont know who started the trend, but if you look at the pic of Joe Riser on the cover of the JLFree book he is wearing a white coat..I do know that on the west coast many of the early Rex Carr disciples would don a white jacket/coat and wear black leather gloves and that dates back to the early 70's..

I do know that I owned a nice white tennis jacket that I got when I played on my junior college tennis team, and I went up to spend part of the summer with my friend/mentor George Wilson up in SLC...somehow I misplaced the jacket and while reading the Retriever News the following spring, I see a picture of George wearing my jacket in a photo after he won a trial
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

It was the aftermath of WWII, and believed to be attributable to an obscure aspect of the Marshall Plan for European economic recovery. To help the French get back on their feet (...), the US offered to buy all their surrender flags and converted them to field trial jackets. Only hitch was the French sorta defeated the purpose, since they couldn't give them away fast enough, believing that their surrender flags were to be turned into field marshal jackets...

MG

In viewing the 1957 National Amateur DVD offered by FTN most of the handlers wore white jackets altho Roger Reopelle wore a full yellow rain suit. Looking out in the field some bird throwers/shooters had some white or no white. Mixed bag. All my guys alive back than are dead and I never asked that question directly. Most of them did comment back in the late 70S/80S that a dog that was smart could see the birds anywhere , especially natural markers (Berger, Reopelle, Martens ). Look how in some lic. Field Trials you see white streamers put on dead birds "to enhance the visibility" of the mark.

When I got into the sport in '63 the gun stations were still wearing camouflage.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Just thinking out loud here,but it has been a loooong tradition at the quail plantations for the handlers to wear white????? Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by dogguy438 View Post
    As the game and training evolved, marks and blinds were starting to stretch out, and as dogs are basically color blind seeing clearly in black and white were probably having problems seeing the marks and handlers as well. I would like to know who came up with the idea, it certainly changed the game. Guy
    Dogs may be color blind - But dogs do see color - What colors though ?

Well according to this article> http://dog-vision.com/ There is two charts that are shown . I have done a lot of testing and seems to me this article is correct as to what color dogs see.

just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Just thinking out loud here,but it has been a loooong tradition at the quail plantations for the handlers to wear white????? Jim
    I have one of those white coats still, from a few trips to Mississippi.
    Earl Dillow

Cotton Pershall is in some pictures with one.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg