The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White coats

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    I have one of those white coats still, from a few trips to Mississippi.
    Earl, so white coats might've come to the retriever game from our pointing brethren? I thought only the dogs (and

most of the folk runnin' 'em) wore/were white in birddog trials...

MG

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Earl, so white coats might've come to the retriever game from our pointing brethren? I thought only the dogs (and

MG
    One of the greatest movies of all times. Shot about 5 miles from my front door.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

I interviewed Vern Weber a long time ago for an article on how white coats emerged. IMO it has the most accurate information from a person who was part of what was happening at the time white coats emerged. It was published in Retrievers On Line (Editor Dennis Voigt and Fiona McKay).
    Vern (now sadly passed away) knew more of the details of how changes and ideas started out in the retrieving game than many people.
    He was there and was part of all of it . He knew all those involved when the concept of using a white coat in the USA emerged. I can probably find my original somewhere on an old computer.

Marilyn

Marilyn J Fender, PhD
    Windstorm Retrievers - Wisconsin and Georgia
    Home of 1996 NFC FC AFC Storm’s Riptide Star and birthplace to QAA of 2000 CNAFC CFC CAFC Quik Windstorm
    mf96nfc@centurytel.net

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post

MG
    I don't know, my jacket looks like a white heavy duty waiter's jacket. I didn't have a serious handling dog until 1970, won my first licensed qual with her, can't remember what color I was wearing at the time. The marks and blinds at that time were much like a "difficult above average Master test ",today in the qual. Triple on land, land blind, water blind, water triple, honor and probably nothing over 75 to 100 yards in the Qual. So what color you had? ten years later white was in vogue , I was running the all-age by then.
    Last edited by Criquetpas; 07-08-2014 at 04:26 PM.
    Earl Dillow

I heard an urban legend that the white coat was started by Cotton Pershall and John Olin. Cotton was complaining that the dog couldn't see him.

Olin's solution was to take one of the white jackets from one of his waiters on staff at his large home and put it on Cotton. It seemed to work.

I don't know if one word of that is true, but I think it makes a pretty good story.

Might ask Bobby George. He wrote Cotton's book. A photo in the book from the 1953 National Championship shows Cotton in white coat. Also a photo from 52 shows him in white with Roy Gonia beside him, not wearing white. Found another photo from 1946 wearing white.

In Charles Morgan's book there is a 1942 shot of him in a white coat. There is a 1939 shot of a group of trainers including Charles Morgan, Billy Wunderlich and Cotton Pershall. Pershall is wearing a white shirt.

So, we know it goes back until at least '42.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    So the recent thread about use of the hand for sends got me to thinking- dangerous and rarely done!
    When and why did we start using white coats. Early photos dont indicate their use.
    Anybody know
    Dk
    Dave, find a copy of The History of Retriever Field Trials in America - The Early Years 1931-1941 written by Fred Kampo and Carolyn McCreesh. May be tough to find given only 1000 copies published, but a good read on the early history. I do not recall the mention of the first use of white coats in the book, but just now flipping the pages I noticed a photo of a female in a full length white dress with 4 black Labs and the caption. "Kathleen Starr training. She has just sent F.T.C. Banchory Varnish on a retrieve, 1937."
    Jim Pickering

You guys are great and thanks for all the background A lot of fun stories along the way.
    Congrats Jim with another Willie National Am finish you guys are tough
    Dk

Quote Originally Posted by TexGold View Post
    I heard an urban legend that the white coat was started by Cotton Pershall and John Olin. Cotton was complaining that the dog couldn't see him.

Olin's solution was to take one of the white jackets from one of his waiters on staff at his large home and put it on Cotton. It seemed to work.

I don't know if one word of that is true, but I think it makes a pretty good story.
    IIRC, that is basically the story in Starkloff's book. No idea if it is true or not as he tends to give way more credit to folks he likes (like Cotton) than to folks he doesn't like, so I don't consider it particularly reliable.