RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Nexgard

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  RJW 
#1 ·
Looking for opinions on Nexgard. It's a new chewable flea and tick preventative. Apparently hit the market about 3 months ago. Made by same company that makes heartgard. Thanks

#3 ·
I switched to nexgard from K9 Advantix and couldn't be happier. The Advantix was only lasting about two weeks then I started seeing ticks. Put my dog on Nexgard and haven't had a single tick on him. I think the Advantix would be fine if you kept the dog out of the water but who does that?

Nexgard- effective, water proof, no greasy mess, no stinking smell.

#7 ·
Any information on Nexgard and breeding females yet? I know initially it stated that it had not been tested. I have been using Nexgard on my two older spayed females and it has been fantastic, but haven't used it on my young female yet as she will be a breeding female shortly.

#8 ·
thanks for the feedback guys. ordered a 3 month supply today.

#9 ·
Nexgard: kills fleas and 3 species of ticks for 30 days: American dog tick, Black-legged (Deer) tick, and the Lone Star tick. Kills within 48 hours.
Bravecto: kills fleas, prevents flea infestations, and 3 ticks for 90 days: Black-legged tick, American dog tick, and Brown dog tick, and the Lone Star ticks for 60 days. Kills within 12 hours.

As far as what ticks to be concerned about - all of them have the potential to transmit disease. The best summary I have found for clients is this website: http://www.dogsandticks.com/ticks/

#10 · (Edited)
How much is the Bravecto?

My vet quoted me $55 for 3 doses of Nexgard in the 60-121 lb dog size. They do not have Bravecto.

I'm on the fence about using it. Ticks are worse than usual this year, but still I will find just a 2 or 3 per day, and TBDs are not common around here. So I am weighing the risk of the new drug vs the irritation of the tick bites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.