The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Yet Another Dog Food Question

Default Yet Another Dog Food Question

I have a 20 month old Lab female who has had the Cruciate Surgery on both knees.
    It was suggested to me to put her on a diet of prescription diet dog food such as
    Hills J/D Mobility or Purina JM. The Hills first ingredient is Corn so I'm not too
    excited about that..... the Purina I think was Salmon. Both are expensive and
    the Purina is going to be difficult to find locally. So, has anyone come up with a
    similar "Mobility" diet even if you have to add things like Omega 3, fish oil and so
    on. I give my dogs fish oil and subject dog gets Glucosamine too. I am willing
    to add to her diet (I feed PM Exclusive chicken and rice) if it might help her as
    she grows older.... Vet said no sign of arthritis was found during either surgery.

Thank you for any suggestions. I had big plans for this little girl.... still, after we
    do rehab/therapy and get her built up I plan on resuming her training and some
    day hope to run some hunt tests with her..... if not, I still want her to be happy
    and comfortable.
    It is what it is....

Rainy Day Promise - 1998 - 2007
    Smackwater Jumpin Jac Chance - 1999 - 2013
    Promiselands Prairie Dancer - 2001 - 2004

Flinthills Lonesome Dove - 2004
    Gimmee One More Last Chance - 2005
    Black Kettle's She's a Pistol - 2009
    Twolabs Her Chance to Dance - 2012
    Twolabs Yancy's Fancy Pants - 2012

I would keep feeding what you're feeding and add Cosequin if needed as she gets older.
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

Look into feeding a quality food and supplement with something like Cosequin DS or one of the Springtime , INC joint products..

Chewy .com has excellent prices on Cosequin ... remember no food will ever be enough for therapeutic effect. However. I'd feed a 30-20 diet to encourage strong muscle support...

Dr. Tim's Pursuit a great choice, or one from Victor Pet
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

I have a dog that is recovering from a TPLO surgery. The Hill's diet is a recommendation. It does go on to say that you can add Omega Fatty acids to your dog's diet (salmon oil) or other supplements such as Welactin. Also, my ortho vet strongly recommended Dasuquin (pure form of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine). If your dog is doing well on her current diet, I would try the supplements. Always check with your vet.

Hey thanks everyone.... you have all given me some things to think about.... I will
    investigate all you have suggested and appreciate your responses.
    It is what it is....

Rainy Day Promise - 1998 - 2007
    Smackwater Jumpin Jac Chance - 1999 - 2013
    Promiselands Prairie Dancer - 2001 - 2004

Flinthills Lonesome Dove - 2004
    Gimmee One More Last Chance - 2005
    Black Kettle's She's a Pistol - 2009
    Twolabs Her Chance to Dance - 2012
    Twolabs Yancy's Fancy Pants - 2012

Umm Just my experience but many vets like to push dog food, yet the dog food they push is very substandard to most any food a performance trainer would even consider feeding. I'd stick with what works, and add a Glucosamine-chondroitin supplement; It won't hurt, there are a couple studies coming out showing that starting a supplement early might help prevent joint degradation from ever taking place; so you won't have to manage it later. All I know is that it can really aid an older dog who starts to get stiff, and even a handler who has knee issues. They make it for dogs, cosequin/dasquin (one's for dogs one's for humans-pretty much the same thing ) is probably the best known. However I've always just given my dog Costco Triple-flex, the same one I take, and have had great results. They also get a fish-oil pill every once in awhile; the same one I take, they like it way better than I do . It's been awhile but I believe vitamin E is required for a dog to fully utilize fish-oil but that's in most quality dog food as are Omega 3 &6's, so supplementing it for me is most likely done to get rid of those nasty tablets .

I'm not pushing eukanuba; but they do have nice literature (vitamin and supplements are on page 31)
    http://www.eukanubaperformance.com/s...09_updated.pdf

http://www.wec.ufl.edu/floridaquail/...BIRD%20DOG.pdf
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 07-09-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Also look at Annamaet Endure (it's in a powder form) for a joint supplement.

It has green lipped mussel (known for its anti inflammatory properties), glucosamine HCL, chondroiton sulfate and psyllium husk.